Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Passing of Ed Richardson (Read 2960 times)
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Passing of Ed Richardson
07/08/10 at 08:07:13

After a lengthy battle with cancer, Ed Richardson passed away on June 28, 2010.

Ed was a life member of the Maple Leaf Rally Club. His rally career dated back to the 1958 Canadian Winter Rally as a driver. His navigator and friend of all those years was at his bedside when he died.

Over his many years of active participation in MLRC activities, Ed did just about everything from Board member to On Route Editor and most recently a key figure in the Mini Rally Rally Series. His smiling face greeted all participants for years when they came to register for a Mini.

You knew Ed by his endless enthusiasm, wit and wisdom. Ed may be gone but will not be forgotten.

At Ed's request there was no visitation or service, but you may leave a message of condolence for the family at www.wardfuneralhome.com

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Passing of Ed Richardson
Reply #1 - 07/08/10 at 08:19:16

Very sad news indeed. I was actually just thinking of Ed the other day, wondering what he was up to these days. He will be missed.

Ryan

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #2 - 07/08/10 at 12:03:29

Ed and I ran the Mini-Rallies together in the 90s, got so we knew which hydro poles to use for check points on any road northwest of Toronto. I lost count how many times we drove the roads in King and Caledon townships. Every time the townships paved another road, we used to curse them.

We only competed together twice, both times in KWRC rallies, and we won both times. He and his sons Eric and Jeff competed successfully in both club events and ORRCs for years. I think he ran in one of Uli's Fun Rallies with his grandson too.

I didn't realize that he had started as early as 1958, I only met him after he returned to rally in the early 90s after being away from it for years. I remember him telling about an icy Canadian Winter Rally in a TR4 (I think) during which so much ice had built up in the wheel wells that he couldn't turn the steering wheel. It took most of a rest break to chip it away.

Ed and I exchanged e-mails quite a lot since I moved to Ottawa, mostly about car stuff, but I only saw him face to face sporadically. He never mentioned that things had gotten worse with his health recently, but he wouldn't have. It sounds like he didn't want a fuss made, but lots of people will miss him.

IP Logged
DaveP

Reply #3 - 07/09/10 at 00:02:00

Ed was unique.

During the 1990's there were two prominent doyens of MLRC. Fred Baker, and Ed Richardson. And yet two very opposite individuals.

Ed was very grass roots orientated. His pride and joy was the success of the MLRC Mini Rally Championship. And yet, Ed was also very tuned in to the performance aspect of the sport. He understood the changes taking place. Nobody could suggest Ed was yesterday's man.

To the best of my knowledge, Ed served on the Executive Committee (incl stints on the Board of Directors) of MLRC for the entire decade, plus into the twenty first century. His attendance record for both Executive and general MLRC mtgs was second to none.

MLRC Executive mtgs were always energetic with Ed's attendance. He was passionate in protecting the club, forever questioning and challenging other executive members. We (the executive) accomplished a lot during Ed's tenure on the Executive. Ed had the rare gift to motivate people. In my opinion, Ed was instrumental in the continuing health of MLRC when many other clubs were frail.

Ed is one of the unsung heroes of rallysport.

IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #4 - 07/09/10 at 12:23:16

I navigated for Ed for my very first ORRC rally.  Looking back, I think he was one of the small number of people who were key in bringing me into the sport that's become a huge part of my life.

I didn't meet Ed until he was in his 70s, but even then and in all the time I knew him, he always showed more passion and energy than most people half his age.

I'm sorry to hear that he's gone, but I know that he lives on in at least one sense: his legacy and impact on this sport runs wide and deep.

WWW   IP Logged
Ben
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/10/10 at 12:25:34

Its a very sad news for the club since hes a very very good person and has so much passionate for rallying.
I remember I met him at my first mini rallying ...about 1999. I could see I am the only Chinese in the mini rally and he teach me lots of stuffs as like how to do the ODO factor.....since I was beginner in rallying. I would say hes a good teacher and he was so helpful and funny person!
He so friendly and surprisingly he remember me whenever I met him in the club meeting or mini rally.

Rest in peace to Ed.
Ben Cry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print