Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Information on a Subaru (Read 10049 times)
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Information on a Subaru
07/12/10 at 18:34:14

I ended up picking up a sweet deal on a 97 Outback. It will be my rally-X and go to rallies Car. I am mostly a VW guy and don't know Subie's all that well. I need some info:

1. CEL is on - is there a "typical" thing to check? O2 Sensor? etc.?
2. Clutch is way down on the floor - new clutch? slave cylinder? (are they hydraulic or cable?)
3. What are the best shop manuals to pick up? For VW it is Bentley but Subie's?

See you at the Sept. Rally-X!  Cool

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Re: Information on a Subaru
Reply #1 - 07/12/10 at 19:19:35

Congratulations on the car

For the CEL, it would be best if you could borrow someone Code Reader, or pick one up. On an older car that you're getting up and running, I'm sure the CEL might come on another time. Only time I had a CEL come on my parents outback was due to a gas cap, but that was on a newer Outback(I don't think they had a sensor for that back then).

As far as I know, starting in 97, all the 2.5L engines were hydraulic, and the rest were cables, so depending on your model, it might be a cable clutch.

Hopefully some other members can chime in as well.

Tim
  IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #2 - 07/12/10 at 19:56:27

Yes I think that you are right. The 97 and up 2.5 had hydro clutch and the 2.2's are cable. I also agree on the CEL. I just got a repair manual from CT and it got me going just fine on the subie's. They are nice to work on once you get going.

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
Dean Campbell
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #3 - 07/12/10 at 19:57:37

Hi Dave,

The CEL on your car is best confirmed with a code reader of course, but given the age of the car, I'll be it's either an O2 sensor (rear most likely) or the MAF sensor. Again, check the code reader, and also pay attention to anything the car does that seems out of the ordinary, strange idle issues, fuel cuts, etc.

Clutch on that car SHOULD be hydraulic, but my 1997 was fit with a cable (base model impreza). Under the hood, on the drivers side of the top of the transmission, next to the dogbone to the firewall, you should see the actuator. If it's Hydraulic, there will be a slave cylinder that bolts to the bell housing, and if it's a cable, well, there will be a cable. Both can theoretically be adjusted, though for some reason, I have always struggled with getting it set right.

Manuals can be found in a digital format (PDF) if you're inclined in that direction. You can just print off what you need, as you need it. I sourced a full Subaru manual for my car about five years ago, but that source has since vanished. Sadly, though it's a 1997, it's for the Impreza I think. I'll check, but really, both cars are the same, so if it's of use, I can burn it for you. Let me know.

Also, do you know the service history of the car? The DOHC 2.5L engines are known to blow headgaskets. Not the end of the world, but if/when you have to get it repaired, there are better gaskets than what are available from Subaru.

Dean Campbell
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 07/12/10 at 19:57:45

I checked the VIN. The car is definitely a 2.5L according to the decoders I found. So a hydro clutch.

Don't have the service history of the car. I know about the DOHC headgasket issues. Car has almost 395K on it, but it only cost me $495! Car looks to be very well cared for.

« Last Edit: 07/12/10 at 20:42:17 by Dave Cotie »  

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #5 - 07/13/10 at 11:17:17

Dave, on my dad's '97 Outback, and our '98 Outback, the CEL comes on if the gas cap is even slightly loose (or the system thinks it is), and if the gas tank gets too low.  

Basically, the emissions system checks the pressure inside the tank.  If it's venting to atmosphere (or thinks it is), the CEL comes on.  

Atleast it's one more possible solution.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #6 - 07/13/10 at 11:35:38

CEL went out this morning. Borrowed a dealer plate and drove it home. Car was extremely low on gas. Put $30 in it and it didn't even get to 1/2 tank.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #7 - 07/13/10 at 12:00:08

Dave. I have some gravel tires for you.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #8 - 07/13/10 at 13:28:40

nhibbert wrote on 07/13/10 at 12:00:08:
Dave. I have some gravel tires for you.

Cool, any rims with them? If so let me know what you want for them. I have a few gravels that I picked up from Robin F. a couple of years ago too, but they may be hard as rocks.

Norm, what did you do for mounting your light bar? I have an aluminum bar with 4 lights that I picked up a year or so ago from Jamie G. and I was wondering wht yours tied in to?

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #9 - 07/13/10 at 19:53:41

Dave. The wheels I have are commonly known as "the whores" - they have been owned by so many people. I got'em for free from Erik O.. I'll pass them on to for the same price. I think Erik got them John V. who loaned them to Ryan H. for a while. I don't recall who John got them from. They are Yokohama hard compound gravel tires on Legacy rims, just like the ones in your photo above. One of them loses about two pounds of air an hour so you have to make a few runs to the air pump during a rallyX (or get them cleaned and re-mounted). While they are far cry from new gravel tires they are a lot better than winters mainly because they aren't as likely to peel off the rims.

As for mounting the light bar you'll have to find a good spot. My Impreza was totally different from my Forester in the front-end architecture so I won't even guess at a Legacy. For the Impreza I mounted L-brackets to the top beam where the rad bolts on and then two more L-brackets to the top of the bumper. The lower brackets weren't even attached. They just prevented them from shaking too much. On my Forester the light are attached to L-brackets mounted to the bumper (carridge bolts behind the license plate) which then hook onto the front grill for stablity.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Dean Campbell
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #10 - 07/13/10 at 20:17:47

Dave,

When I had a light bar mounted on my Impreza, Paul Henshall fabbed up a very simple design. One thick bar across, with two thick bars back to under the grill, where they were drilled through the rebar with big long bolts holding it in. I never had an issue with shake, and the lights were solid.

Norm, does this mean your competitive days are over?

Dean Campbell
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #11 - 07/13/10 at 21:01:51

I will RallyX again when I either get a cheap beater or an nice new car (and RX the Forester again). Right now I can't afford to rallyX my daily driver.

Dave - I've heard the problem with Outbacks is they have very soft suspensions. If you're upgrading anything I'd look at a suspension that will eliminate some of the body roll. That was the first and best mod I did to my TS Impreza.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #12 - 07/13/10 at 21:28:17

nhibbert wrote on 07/13/10 at 21:01:51:
I will RallyX again when I either get a cheap beater or an nice new car (and RX the Forester again). Right now I can't afford to rallyX my daily driver.

LIES! You can always afford to rally-x your daily driver. You just can't afford to let your sister drive it  Grin Speaking of which, anyone have a front passenger side fender liner?!?

Tim

Tim
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #13 - 07/13/10 at 21:47:20

nhibbert wrote on 07/13/10 at 21:01:51:
Dave - I've heard the problem with Outbacks is they have very soft suspensions. If you're upgrading anything I'd look at a suspension that will eliminate some of the body roll. That was the first and best mod I did to my TS Impreza.

Good to know. I guess I should be on the lookout for some firmer springs.

Another question - anyone know where to find the "build date" for an Outback? I checked all the plates I can find. The rear hatch release is buggered up, so I was not able to look there. The car was originally delivered in Feb. 97, so I know it was built before then.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
AWDcrazy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - 07/14/10 at 09:38:27

Good to know. I guess I should be on the lookout for some firmer springs. [/quote]

Look at Primitive for their King springs 225lbs/in Fr., 200lbs/in Rr. progressive rates.  They lift the car 1cm.  If I can't get GT42R's hotbits, I'm going there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print