Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Service crew question? (Read 8584 times)
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Re: Service crew question?
Reply #15 - 07/20/10 at 17:13:09

Service crew - it's great to have four people to service one car but it's really important that they are organized.  Designate one person (usually the most experienced) to be the crew chief, who delegates responsibilities and runs the show.  Usually, one person goes under the hood, one guy takes each side, and the fourth can do parts/tool runs between the car and the truck.

The crew chief should meet you at the car when you're waiting to check in, get a rundown of what needs to be done, then he/she should return to the service area and assign tasks to everyone.

Make sure you have enough tools to support your mechanics (you'll need duplicates of the basics - wrenches, hammers etc) otherwise they can't be very helpful.

Communication is really important to ensure everything gets covered and nothing gets overlooked (or done twice).  There have been occasions where the wheel nuts on one side of the car get torqued twice, while the other side doesn't get torqued at all!

Co-driver - might be best to forget about pacenotes for your first event and run tulips.  There is a lot on your plates already, and running notes might be a bit overwhelming for a first-timer.

Your co-driver's priorities for the first event should be:

1. Stay on route
2. Stay on time

WWW   IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #16 - 07/20/10 at 17:32:48

AlanO wrote on 07/20/10 at 17:13:09:
Co-driver - might be best to forget about pacenotes for your first event and run tulips.  There is a lot on your plates already, and running notes might be a bit overwhelming for a first-timer.

I ran tulips for my first event as a driver (Bear 3 years ago), and I recommend it, even with an experienced co-driver. In my mind, it forces you to take it easy and focus on the basics (having fun!). My first event as a co-driver, I sucked big time - its a lot going on, I felt really comfortable and ready (took the co-driver school with Mark Williams, sat in someone elses car at another event for reccee), and it all went to heck pretty fast.

But I wouldn't listen to this Alan Ockwell guy, I don't think he knows much about co-driving  Grin

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #17 - 07/20/10 at 17:51:28

AlanO wrote on 07/20/10 at 17:13:09:
Service crew - it's great to have four people to service one car but it's really important that they are organized.  Designate one person (usually the most experienced) to be the crew chief, who delegates responsibilities and runs the show.  Usually, one person goes under the hood, one guy takes each side, and the fourth can do parts/tool runs between the car and the truck.

The crew chief should meet you at the car when you're waiting to check in, get a rundown of what needs to be done, then he/she should return to the service area and assign tasks to everyone.

Make sure you have enough tools to support your mechanics (you'll need duplicates of the basics - wrenches, hammers etc) otherwise they can't be very helpful.

Communication is really important to ensure everything gets covered and nothing gets overlooked (or done twice).  There have been occasions where the wheel nuts on one side of the car get torqued twice, while the other side doesn't get torqued at all!

Your co-driver's priorities for the first event should be:

1. Stay on route
2. Stay on time

Tracy is in complete agreement with your priorities Alan, these two things i here over and over again, we've agreed to keep our dialogue down to a minimum while in the car, i may only use one word "Affirmative". If in the event that RSO does not hold the Performance Rally Co- Driving school in October before Pines,she'll be looking you up, i'll warn you now.....You may not be her hero, i hold that designation Smiley But she does very much admire your skill...

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 07/20/10 at 20:32:50

Definite plans for an RSO Co-driving school before Pines.

IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #19 - 07/20/10 at 23:22:40

Alan you missed number 3... Have Fun...

I would be in for the Co Drivers school..

Derek.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print