Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Day Dreaming about a rally car. (Read 13204 times)
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Day Dreaming about a rally car.
Reply #15 - 07/24/10 at 12:47:34

For a full FIA (current) spec cage, with a few extras (sill bars, tie in to the front strut towers, etc) you're likely looking at around $5000, give or take depending on where you go.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #16 - 07/24/10 at 12:53:06

I actually built my cage myself, and then paid to get it welded, but I had access to a good bender and notcher and welder at the shop where my car lives. Just to give you some ideas, here's what a current FIA spec cage looks like (my cage)

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
2000 Impreza

Reply #17 - 07/24/10 at 13:51:15

Thanks for the quick reply Ryan.  I suppose that's not to bad I was hoping for 3-4 but I suppose when its one of those your life may depends on it sorta things $5ish is not to bad.

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #18 - 07/25/10 at 13:34:42

2000 Impreza wrote on 07/21/10 at 15:45:32:
Actually that is a really good point on running the rs motor for a couple years.  I never really thought about the option of upgrading later.  I like to think I would be winning races right out of the gate but I would be happy to just finish some races and have some fun

On this point, what I would do is plan on just finishing every rally the first year. Don't even worry about times. Getting to know how the car works, how the team works, what the stages look like, how to deal with mechanical issues, how the rules work etc. all take a lot of time to figure out. By simply planning on finishing every rally you'll get a lot of seat time and you'll become familiar with all the stages. Not that every rally uses the exact same stages every year but knowing where the 'gotchya's' are can save you skin if you're ever running that stage full out again in the future.

In your second year of competing you can start thinking about where you want to place in the finish order and figure out what you need to do car-wise and skill-wise to get yourself into that position.  

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #19 - 08/03/10 at 18:32:10

Thought that I would share this. Although I do not like Jay Leno he did raise a good point in this case.

(Jay) You had someone build this car
(Eric) Only this time, the last 3 times me and my buddy's did it.
(Jay) Yeah but the last 3 times you didn't crack it up
(Eric) Yeah
(Jay) So you were afraid to tell the guy who build it what happened correct?
(Eric) yeah I was
(Jay) because...... it's his car, If you had put all the blood sweat and tears into this build you would not have hit the tree.
(Eric) you think so
(Jay) It's like a rent a car you take it out and beat the hell out of it.

From Love The Beast ( great movie for cars guys by the way, Get your wife or girlfriend to watch it if she does not understand why you love your car)

Now before everyone jumps on me I know that there are some stuff or some people that rather get their car built by someone. This just hit home for me as I want to build my own and I thought that I would share.

« Last Edit: 08/04/10 at 06:44:16 by corywannamaker »  

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #20 - 08/03/10 at 21:29:12

I got your back Cory Smiley

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
mattman_4444
YaBB Newbies

[url]http://operator
wear.ca[/url]

Reply #21 - 08/24/10 at 12:35:20

2000 Impreza wrote on 07/24/10 at 12:24:20:
Anyone have any ruff numbers on what it would cost me to have a cage installed?  I would do as much prep myself as I could, bring it to the shop all stripped and what not.  I suppose I could make some phone calls and actually get some quotes but figure someone here might have an idea.

Budget at least $3000 (most likely more) for a cage

IP Logged
dan sprongl

Reply #22 - 08/24/10 at 13:09:54

Hi

Don't take this wrong way, you may be in love with Subaru, Mitsubishi, Audi etc.

But if you are novice, start with a  2wd car, rear or front drive.
Rear drive is a little scarce, you may may need to  stick to front wheel drive.

Make it reliable, get seat time, learn to drive the wheels off of it.

2wd is less expensive to run than an AWD car in the same class, production or open/g2/g5

Pick a car that you can source parts for readily.  
Good parts, not things that will let you down.

Rare cars are cool, head turners etc, but having to wait for a custom part while the summer passes and so do rallies, really sucks.

First thing is safety,and reliability, with  suspesnion, gearing and brakes.  The last thing you work on is power increase, that comes with time.

Dan Sprongl
Four Star Motorsports inc

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #23 - 08/24/10 at 13:37:16

Some good advice right there ^^^^^.

Another point that Dan did not mention is that "unique" cars can be tougher to sell if you make the decision later to move to AWD.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
2000 Impreza

Reply #24 - 08/24/10 at 13:41:25

"2wd is less expensive to run than an AWD car in the same class, production or open/g2/g5"
I always hear that awd will be a lot more expensive.  Having never raced either I am not sure why that is?  Will there be that much more breaking on the cars?  Are the parts just that much more expensive?  I suppose if I was driving a fwd civic or something along those lines the parts would be dirt cheep.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #25 - 08/24/10 at 14:03:42

Twice as many tires to replace. Twice as may halfshafts. More complicated drivetrain, etc. Heavier, therefore bigger more expensive tires.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Juggernaut Motorsports
YaBB Newbies

Reply #26 - 08/24/10 at 19:18:37

Not to mention the cost of racegas (110 oct.) which is currently ~$3.62/L and you'll need a ton of it.

You'll go through brakes faster as well due to the heavier car at higher speeds. Running 2wd saves bringing as many extra tires to events, and they also last longer since you probably won't have the power to churn them like you would in Open.  

This is all assuming you don't crash in the process of racing. I don't know about you, but I know I can source Ford parts for the Focus a LOT cheaper than Subaru parts.

Even if you don't crash, though I can't confirm this from experience, I can only assume that the bigger, heavier car breaks a lot more of itself when it lands at much higher speeds if you don't land somewhat properly. Of course the argument could be made that the parts are beefier so they can withstand the pounding.

Also if it's your cup of tea (if it isn't already it eventually will be), the go-fast bits for 2wd cars tend to be cheaper (again comparing Subaru with Ford) and fewer of them needed (no crazy turbo).

Just thought I'd throw in what little experience I have so far!

IP Logged
Do_It_Sidewayz

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 08/25/10 at 09:42:03

I dunno... I think that Rallying a BONE STOCK 1999-2000 Impreza 2.5RS would be pretty cheap.

I ran a year of rallying with a 01 RS motor (yes it had some cams), and certainly didn't cost very much.    

I ran the following:
- "street performance" brake pads, the one set last one season, and still had LOTS of meat left over
- Pump Gas (91 because i felt bad putting 87 in a race car)
- Rotella T oil ($20 oil change before every event)
- The entire season on 6 tires. (not including snows etc for pines)

I broke one driveshaft...but it was a 200,000+ Km unit.  

Talk to Randy Zimmer....he runs his car for next to nothing.

Once you get into modifying it...then yes some things get more expensive.   Things like Diffs (because there are 3 of them).... but most of the other stuff is about the same....Brakes, Power, etc.

Having said that.  I think a Focus, or a Honda Civic would be really cheap to run, and fun.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #28 - 08/25/10 at 09:56:35

I agree with you Chris, however watching from the sidelines ....

Very few people have the self control that Randy does. It seems ineveitable that the RS's end up with STi motors, big turbos, race gas, etc.

Randy keeps his N/A 2.5 and drives the hell out of it.  Cool

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #29 - 08/25/10 at 10:24:11

I agree with what most people say. I am building my impreza and going to run it STOCK. for as long as I can ( well that the plan) but I agree that most people want more power as they get more comfortable. I think that the reason most of the subies get sti swaps is because they are fairly straight forward to do. Not like turning a fwd or rwd into awd etc. They are LEGO. for the most part. There is something to say about running fwd or rwd but I don't know if the cost is that much less. I don't know and I am sure that I will find out once I get mine built and start to race.

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print