Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Day Dreaming about a rally car. (Read 13200 times)
Juggernaut Motorsports
YaBB Newbies

Re: Day Dreaming about a rally car.
Reply #30 - 08/26/10 at 15:21:45

Do_It_Sidewayz wrote on 08/25/10 at 09:42:03:
I dunno... I think that Rallying a BONE STOCK 1999-2000 Impreza 2.5RS would be pretty cheap.

I ran a year of rallying with a 01 RS motor (yes it had some cams), and certainly didn't cost very much.    

I ran the following:
- "street performance" brake pads, the one set last one season, and still had LOTS of meat left over
- Pump Gas (91 because i felt bad putting 87 in a race car)
- Rotella T oil ($20 oil change before every event)
- The entire season on 6 tires. (not including snows etc for pines)

I broke one driveshaft...but it was a 200,000+ Km unit.  

Talk to Randy Zimmer....he runs his car for next to nothing.

Once you get into modifying it...then yes some things get more expensive.   Things like Diffs (because there are 3 of them).... but most of the other stuff is about the same....Brakes, Power, etc.

Having said that.  I think a Focus, or a Honda Civic would be really cheap to run, and fun.

Good points Chris. I have some beer with your name on it. Of the important things we forgot to bring to GCFR, beer was definitely one of them!

IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Re: Day Dreaming about a rally car.
Reply #31 - 08/26/10 at 19:30:47

My 17 cents:

2WD [Production] is the cheapest to be in a 'competitive' car - provided its the right car (I would not want to run a production mexico made Turbo VW, for example)

I've gone through (worn out, we won't count flats) 3 gravel tires in 3 test days, 3 rallycrosses and 5 regionals. Cheap!
I think the rear hotbits have been rebuilt once in 6 years, rear brake pads once in 4 years, front pads were at least 3 years... Wear item/wear costs are Very cheap! and there is much less to wear (only two drive shafts, 1 diff etc)
Fuel - pump gas. I did Galway (The rally and the drive there and back from TO on less then a tank). Very very cheap!

Consider what Peter/Jimmy and Frank/Dan have done in sub 100 HP swifts - Its all driver in 2WD (And I'm a crap driver Tongue)

I my world, rally is about having fun - even when the car is inverted!

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print