Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weird... (Read 4228 times)
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Weird...
07/22/10 at 11:47:04

I just went and registered my Outback in my name, got some Temp tags and decided to order plates for it with my Amateur Radio Call sign. They are $30, so I peeled the cash out of my wallet and the lady says, "Sorry you can't have that, someone else has it."

I said that is my registered Call Sign. She said sorry but it is a personalized plate (they paid $100 for it) and we cannot tell you who has it, but it is taken.  Shocked

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: Weird...
Reply #1 - 07/22/10 at 12:39:48

Hmm... any chance the RAC can look into it?  I thought all possible combinations of amateur radio call signs would be on a restricted list.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #2 - 07/22/10 at 12:42:23

Good thought Doug, I will check it.

MTO does not require any "proof" of your call sign to get the plates, so I am not sure they are restricted, but still.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #3 - 07/22/10 at 14:15:26

Dave Cotie wrote on 07/22/10 at 12:42:23:
Good thought Doug, I will check it.

MTO does not require any "proof" of your call sign to get the plates, so I am not sure they are restricted, but still.

Hmm.  When I got my ham plate, they asked to see my amateur radio licence.  IIRC, they even took a photocopy.

Callsigns do get re-assigned occasionally, so what may have happened is that the person who had it before gave up the callsign with Industry Canada, but never bothered to turn in his old plates to the MTO.  The licence plate number won't get re-issued until that happens, even if the plates are hanging on a garage wall somewhere, rusted away to nothing, or were crushed with the last car they were on.

Edit: hang on - I re-read what you wrote.

The deal, IIRC, is this: if you want a ham radio plate, you have to be a ham.  If you want any random six-character combination on your plate, you can have it (subject to the regular rules about profanity, etc.) as long as you pay the fee.

So... AFAIK, the whole process for hams is about justifying the cheap personalized plate, not about protecting callsigns.

WWW   IP Logged
DaveM
YaBB Newbies

'83 Volvo 244 GLT
Turbo

Pefferlaw
Reply #4 - 08/05/10 at 12:23:40

This sometimes happens with the death of a previous holder of the call and the family keeps the plates.  However, that is not as likely with a VA call.

I, too, would have thought that all of the Ontario amateur call combinations would have been reserved.

There is a VE3COT registered, I wonder if that is who has the plates?

sledjunk   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #5 - 08/09/10 at 21:50:19

When you get this sorted, offer to give the other guy new vanity plates:
DCHEBAG  ; )

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #6 - 08/10/10 at 15:18:14

C. Hamm wrote on 08/09/10 at 21:50:19:
When you get this sorted, offer to give the other guy new vanity plates:
DCHEBAG  ; )

Good Plan

to Dave M - yes there is a VE3 COT registered, I knew that when I passed my test, as that was the first license # I requested, but explan why someone would have VA3 COT.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #7 - 08/10/10 at 15:27:33

BTW Dave M I sent you a PM - I think you PM'd me on Turbobricks about my door cards.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
James Drake
YaBB Administrator

Ontario
Reply #8 - 08/14/10 at 00:23:03

You can pay $10 to find out who has the plate and can be done though service Canada online.

This is how I found out who owns the plate: Cosworth

James Drake

MLRC Membership Chairman
MLRC Rallycross Coordinator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print