IKEA Mudflaps (Read 3535 times)
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
IKEA Mudflaps
08/29/10 at 21:58:49

Are these what people are using?

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90131935

My wife is heading to IKEA next week and I want to get some.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Mark-7

Re: IKEA Mudflaps
Reply #1 - 08/29/10 at 22:15:04

Great price and if the size works it might be worth it.  There are two differences between Ikea cutting boards and other mudflaps.

Most "designer" mudflaps are a thick polyurethane plastic that remains quite flexible and resilient to stand up to being pounded by rocks at really cold temperatures.  Polyurethane costs more to produce then other plastics.

That cutting board is made of a polyethylene plastic.  It is no where near as resilient as polyurethane especially at low temperatures. The most common thermoplast in use today. Its nice because we can easily melt and reuse it.  Who knows maybe that cutting board in a previous life was the seat bottom on a plastic chair.

Results:  Is a 120 dollar saving worth the reduced "performance?"

I say yes.

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #2 - 08/30/10 at 07:47:05

Dave, that is what I used and they work great for the price!  Best part is, if you lose one or whatever they are SO cheap and easy to replace!  After Car 0 duties at BBR there was some abrasion on them but i'd expect them to last a very long time regardless.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #3 - 08/30/10 at 08:47:11

Thanks John.

Since they are so cheap, I think I will get my wife to get me 8 of them. That way if I damage a couple I will have spares. Apparently like Mark siad above they don't work well in the winter but I have regular Outback mudflaps for that.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print