Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Subaru Diff Problem (Read 4564 times)
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Subaru Diff Problem
10/03/10 at 20:32:06

I have posted this on TSC, but there are lots of Subaru guys here so I thought I would try here too.

Last week after the rally-X, I headed for Peterborough. When I arrived the car would not turn well. It was okay in a straight line, but when I tried to turn sharp, like going into a parking spot or making a u-turn the drivetain was binding like the centre diff was locked up.

After the car sat and cooled it was okay, but it did it again on the way home. Again after the car cooled it was okay.

I checked both the tranny and the rear diff, both were slightly overfull with gear oil. (I changed it.) I drained off the excess.

Tonight I jacked all 4 wheels in the air and put it in gear. Both right side wheels were spinning away, but the LF wasn't moving and the LR was only spinning a little. Now both F and R diffs are open, so I think that is okay.

Any ideas? Should I start saving for a used tranny?  Sad

I am taking it to Sudbury tomorrow, so I guess I will see if it does it again.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Subaru Diff Problem
Reply #1 - 10/03/10 at 21:09:42

Manual transmission, correct? Sounds like a cooked centre diff to me. Unfortunately it isn't entirely uncommon.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #2 - 10/03/10 at 21:28:12

RyanHuber wrote on 10/03/10 at 21:09:42:
Manual transmission, correct? Sounds like a cooked centre diff to me. Unfortunately it isn't entirely uncommon.

So start looking for a complete tranny? and yes it is a 5 spd.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #3 - 10/03/10 at 21:35:32

Well, the centre diff can be changed independent of the gearbox, but depending on how the gearbox feels you might want to consider doing the whole thing, yeah. I have no idea what the availability of each is at the moment, but I'm sure you could come up with something.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 10/03/10 at 21:39:29

I think I need to change the clutch anyway, so it sounds like I can hear my winter project coming like a freight train.

Ryan, how long will it run like this? I was planning on going to Bancroft for the last rally-X and the work day. Will it handle that or am i pooched?

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #5 - 10/03/10 at 22:01:55

I think they go for quite a while like that, I mean, it's basically binding up and acting like a locked diff. It's far from ideal on tarmac, but on gravel it might actually be more fun Wink I'd think you'd be fine, IMO.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #6 - 10/03/10 at 22:08:43

Yeeeehawwww!  Grin

I'll fix her in the winter!

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
dan sprongl

Reply #7 - 10/04/10 at 20:53:33

Hi Dave,

Actually, you may want to change this sooner than later.
A lot of times when the centre diff fails, if it is the diff,  depending on the year etc, but on most 5 speeds, there is a very large circlip at the back of the centre diff.

When the diff dies,  this clip fails, it is a large diameter clip, (but thin and it overlaps itself), usually due to pressure, it is pushed out of the slot that it normally sits in.

The pieces then float in the tail section.  Depending on the how big the pieces are, you can cause damage to the bearings, rear step down gears etc......

Not the best idea to drive around with this.  

Saying all that, you can pull the rear tail stock off, check and remove any debris and check the centre diff.

A few hours of your time can save you a lot of money in the future.

Dan Sprongl
Four Star Motorsports

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #8 - 10/04/10 at 21:15:58

Okay, thanks Dan. I will get it in the garage and take a look at it.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Justadrive
YaBB Newbies

Burlington
Reply #9 - 10/07/10 at 06:39:53

I had this issue on a 99 Forester we once owned. Luckily the Autobox had a FWD option (fuse located under the hood by itself on the passenger side obove the fender - you insert a fuse to activate FWD). I do not think that this is on the 5 speed but maybe someone could confirm this?

This allowed only the FWD system to work and got me by for a few days till I found a tranny.

And for auto's in those years I heard this was a common problem.  Sad

Jeff Lehmann

2016 Optima LX ECO TURBO
2015 Soul SXL
2010 Forte Koup SX - Track
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #10 - 10/08/10 at 14:59:41

I can confirm the fuse trick only works on Automatics.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print