Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What to expect at rally cross.. (Read 8711 times)
Daniel-Rods
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

What to expect at rally cross..
10/14/10 at 00:26:13

I'm planning on going to the oct 17th rally cross event in bancroft. Although I senselessly beat on my tercel day in day out, have done a ton of vigorous off roading with it, i'm just wondering if i should really worry about the roads on these rallyx courses being rough. I plan on bringing spare wheels, and throwing on a decently tough skid plate if i have time, and i'm also going to raise the car an inch or so with coilovers this week in preparation.

Any warning or advice would be great!

IP Logged
2000 Impreza

Re: What to expect at rally cross..
Reply #1 - 10/14/10 at 00:36:02

An extra set of wheels is the most important thing I would say.  Its not that hard to pull a tire off the bead.  Its up to you how badly you beat up your car though.  If you take it easy you should come out of it with little to no damage.

As far as raising the suspension most of the cars run stock height with no problems.  Also if you are bringing an extra set of tires I would recomend a set of snow tires if you have them and fill them up to there max psi to help keep them on the rims.

IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #2 - 10/14/10 at 05:40:38

I agree that it will alll depends on how hard you want to be on your car. I would suggest getting tubes in your tires I ran almost 1 season without popping a tire off a rim because o had tubes. It is not that rough if you drive to the conditions.

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
j_gardhouse
YaBB Administrator

On hiatus - drinking
the two wheeled
koolaid.

Reply #3 - 10/14/10 at 08:45:27

I did four events with a nearly brand new Passat borrowed from my father when I first got into rallycross. I added an evolution auto skid plate, since the VWs have oil pans that crack from even snow/ice on the road. And I was running just as fast as I do in my P-Sport rallycar (though, I'm a crap driver, so thats not *that* fast!).

I did NO DAMAGE. Not one flat, scrape, ding. It can be done!

Jamie - VA3HAX/VE3XTL - I break things and make loud noises
  IP Logged
Daniel-Rods
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 10/14/10 at 10:35:27

Great, thanks guys. The car has a old school metal oil pan on it already. To make a good skid plate it's a pretty good chunk of change so maybe i'll waive that off until later on. I'm going to install a set of 300lb/in coilovers tonight anyhow, as i think it will help with soaking up the bumps compared to stock springs.

Cheers! looking forward to seeing everyone!

IP Logged
Do_It_Sidewayz

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 10/14/10 at 11:42:12

I understand your want/need to put on these coilovers.

but 300 in/lb springs are very stiff in a rally environment, let alone a rally-x where the speeds are much lower

I don't know the suspension geometry of your car.   But most Open Class rally cars don't even run 300 lb springs!

You may well have a better time on the OEM springs, complicance over bumps is a good thing.

You'll be fine, just be careful at the end of the day, as some rough spots do develop.

IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/14/10 at 15:34:21

I used to run 1990 and then 1992 Tercel (great cars BTW). All stock, including springs etc. - I think I ended OK in that year(s). I had a "semi-skidplate" on it for about $40. Come to see me there (I will drive black VW) and we can talk about some Tercel RallyX related issues - e.g. it is not so easy to hang the skid on Tercel.  But I would not worry, you can race without the skid easily at least the first RallyX and the winter ones (a lot of people do not have any skidplate). It was good that I had to drive my Tercel to and from the RallyX - it made me not to stomp on the brakes with fully compressed suspension , etc. Grin.

Do you run 13" or 14" wheels? I used to run 13" - 2 old King snow tires with tubes up front and 2 old Pirelli carvings (or whatever I could get on the Kijiji on the back) and it was OK. . The front needs aggressive tread. Oh, BTW, John Vanos used to drive Tercel as well and I think he drove it quite successfully   Wink.

Paul

« Last Edit: 10/14/10 at 17:22:24 by overthehill »  

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Daniel-Rods
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 10/14/10 at 22:43:37

Thanks for the advice guys! I only want the coil overs for added height. But didn't end up using them as I suffered some minor set backs hehe.

Paul I will come see you for sure on Sunday! And John vanos is a name I recognize actually!!

Cheers gents

IP Logged
CrazyLeo

Godspeed

planet Earth
Reply #8 - 10/15/10 at 04:38:14

That's what you should expect Smiley

IP Logged
Daniel-Rods
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 10/15/10 at 06:40:25

Shocked Shocked Shocked

resigning NOW! Tongue

maybe a bit of this?

Edited by Ryan Huber

Guys, while I can appreciate why you'd want to post a picture like that, and I don't like to take a heavy hand with moderation, I feel it is wise to take that photograph down as it depicts something that is not at all typical of our events, and isn't really something that needs to be shown in a public forum. I hope you guys understand.

Thanks

End edit by Ryan Huber

« Last Edit: 10/15/10 at 16:34:49 by RyanHuber »  
  IP Logged
CrazyLeo

Godspeed

planet Earth
Reply #10 - 10/15/10 at 14:02:40

Daniel-Rods wrote on 10/15/10 at 06:40:25:
maybe a bit of this?

where the hell was that? I'm coming!

IP Logged
Daniel-Rods
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 10/15/10 at 15:31:53

apparently at one of the bancroft rally x, my friend karol took that pictah.

IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #12 - 10/15/10 at 18:43:17

Now if only someone took a pic/video of when *something* awesome happened on the second corner  Sad

« Last Edit: 10/18/10 at 08:34:07 by j_gardhouse »  

Tim
  IP Logged
Ctrl
YaBB Newbies

Stoney Creek, ON
Reply #13 - 10/21/10 at 13:40:52

Daniel-Rods wrote on 10/15/10 at 15:31:53:
apparently at one of the bancroft rally x, my friend karol took that pictah.

Was that a picture of my poor wagon? Grin

Karol
  IP Logged
Ctrl
YaBB Newbies

Stoney Creek, ON
Reply #14 - 10/21/10 at 13:41:31

Yopofun wrote on 10/15/10 at 18:43:17:
Now if only someone took a pic/video of when *something* awesome happened on the second corner  Sad

If anyone did get anything, I'd love to see it!  Smiley

Karol
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print