Send Topic Print
New WINTR Series (Read 11465 times)
Steve_McKelvie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New WINTR Series
10/26/10 at 18:14:12

Frank Beyer of the Syracuse, NY area and I have been working together, along with a number of rallymasters and rally organizers, including Bruce Leonard of the MLRC, to set up a new winter rally series and I am pleased to say that it is now in place. The new rally series will be known as the WINTR Series. WINTR Series is based on the full title of Winter INTernational Rally Series. What we have done is to combine the best existing winter rallies into one championship series that is separate and apart from any local or national series that these rallies might also be part of. The rallies that will be part of this series and the schedule are as follows:

Son of Sno*Drift (Michigan) - January 8
Long Way Home (New York) - January 15
Rallye Des Neiges (Quebec) - January 22
Ohio Winter Rally (Ohio) - February 5
Maple Leaf Winter Rally (Ontario) - February 12
Winter Challenge Rally (Vermont) - February 19

You can see from this list that we have included the best rallies in the best snow areas that also includes the best winter rally teams, on both sides of the border, in the heart of the winter. The attempt here is to attract the best teams and to recognize that if you win this series, then you have really accomplished something.

The WINTR Series itself will have very few rules. In fact, the goal is to have as few rules as possible. All of the participating rallies/rallymasters/clubs will run their rally as they do for their normal winter rallies. These are already great rally events. All of these rallies have individual styles. Some will have more navigation, some will have more speed, some will have more snow, some will have more hills, some will be run with both English and French instructions, some will be run during the day, some will run in the evening, and some will run all night long. To win this series a rally team is going to have to be multi-talented.

The scoring will be based on the best three rally results based on the Overall standings of each rally, as determined by each particular rallymaster. We (Frank Beyer and myself) will deal with the final rally results, but not how the rally will be run.

We will be creating a prize pool for the distribution cash prizes at the end of the year and now that we have a product to sell, we will be seeking sponsors. We are very excited about the series and think that this will be a great opportunity for the best winter rally folks to get together to have fun and meaningful competition this winter. The rally series will be hosted by the Central New York Region of the SCCA who will hold the cash prize pool. Frank Beyer will act as the points keeper and treasurer and I will be what Frank calls the “Chief Poobah”. More information will be available soon, but mark your calendars now!

Steve McKelvie
Franklin, MA

IP Logged
nhibbert

Re: New WINTR Series
Reply #1 - 10/26/10 at 19:20:40

Let's see. Assuming they are starting in approximately the same location as last year:

Son of Sno*Drift (Michigan) - January 8 - 4.5 hours away

Long Way Home (New York) - January 15 - 3 hours away

Rallye Des Neiges (Quebec) - January 22 - 7 hours away

Ohio Winter Rally (Ohio) - February 5 - 5 hours away

Maple Leaf Winter Rally (Ontario) - February 12 - 2.5 hours away

Winter Challenge Rally (Vermont) - February 19 - 8 hours away.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 10/26/10 at 20:07:28

Great stuff, Steve!  We are pleased that you invited the MLWR to be part of the Series. Should be fantastic.

IP Logged
Steve_McKelvie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 10/27/10 at 06:04:59

Thanks for your support Ross.  Having a series like this without an Ontario event would greatly diminish its prestige.  The MLWR will surely be a great winter challenge.

Steve McKelvie

IP Logged
Napping

Georgetown
Reply #4 - 10/28/10 at 10:44:17

I am in need of reliable/commited teammate for the series. I consider either Driving the whole series, or Navigating the whole series. Thus I am looking for a teammate who is confident that can make it to all (or most) events in the series.

I have started TSD rallies as a Driver at first, and MLWR was my second event I think, after that I started Navigating, and I'm quite comfortable with doing either role. This mostly depends on who I will team up with.

If I am to drive in the series, I have very suitable car: 1999 Legacy SUS (sport utility sedan). It's sitting nice and high, with comfy heated leather seats. I took that thing on snowmobile trails and pulled other cars out of the ditch with it. I'll throw a set of auxillary lights on it too if I'll use it for TSD again.

If I were to navigate, I've got decent ammount of experience over past year in novice class. Did well in SNATRs and had one ORRC win.

I'd like to find teammate ASAP, and have practice runs at Open Road Rally and First Frost before WINTR series begin.

Let me know.

Napping aka Yevgeniy
Napping yevgeniy.gospodinov   IP Logged
Dweeb
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 10/28/10 at 23:36:53

Great idea.
But my question is, are these (will these) be like the old winter drive-x rallies of the early 2000's that we had (individuals that did them will know what i am talking about here), or like the more recent navigational rallies, kind of boring for the driver.

IP Logged
Steve_McKelvie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/29/10 at 06:28:08

These are a variety of events in the series.  Navigators need to have fun too!  I know from personal experience that the 45 mph average class at the Long Way Home Rally will be a challenge.  John Buffum is the rallymaster for the Winter Challenge Rally and I can assure you that portions of that rally will keep the drivers very interested.

Steve McKelvie

IP Logged
Steve_McKelvie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 11/17/10 at 07:39:45

The details of the first WINTR Series event have been announced. The Son of Sno*Drift XIII Rally will be held on Saturday, January 8th, 2011. I am really pleased that this event will be the first rally in the inaugural season of the WINTR Series. This will be a great way to start the WINTR off!

Son of Sno*Drift is a straightforward Time, Speed, Distance (TSD) Road Rally with simple instructions and no traps. Roads used on Son of Sno*Drift will be primarily unpaved and will run within Oakland, Livingston, Washtenaw and Jackson counties of Michigan. Total distance will be approximately 175 miles with two breaks. Mileages will be provided with each instruction, which will be by tulip diagram and written description.

With very few exceptions, this rally will be run to the SCCA tour rally rules. This event will count toward the Detroit Region and Great Lakes Division SCCA road rally championships, as well as the new Winter INTernational Rally (WINTR) Series.
Awards will be presented to the first and second place teams in each of the following classes (plus third place Novice):
E (Equipped) – unlimited equipment.
L (Limited) – calibratible odometer and any calculating device (which does not take input from the odometer).
S (Stock) – stock odometer and any non-programmable calculator.
N (Novice) – any team where the total number of rallies entered by the two members of the team does not exceed six (6); and equipment is restricted to that of the Stock class.

For scoring in the WINTR Series, we will use the Overall placing in the rally, regardless of class.

Start/ Finish: Mexico Lindo restaurant in Waterford, Michigan. Mexico Lindo is located on M-59 (Highland Rd) just west of Airport Rd, on the south side. (6225 Highland Rd. (248) 666-3460).

Son of Sno*Drift is not to be confused with the “Sno*Drift“ Performance Rally, which is presented by RallyCar. Son of Sno*Drift is expected to be a challenge to the driver, the navigator, and the vehicle. Suitable tires and nighttime driving lights are recommended. Snow extraction equipment is also a wise idea. This should include, warning triangle(s), tow strap, shovel, etc.

Tentative schedule:

11:00 AM Registration Opens/ Route Instructions available
12:10 PM Driver’s Meeting (Navigators welcome)
12:31 PM Car #1 Starts Rally
4:01 PM Car #1 Starts Section Two (Tentative)
7:01 PM Car #1 Starts Section Three (Tentative)
9:00 PM Car #1 Finishes (Approx.)

Entry Fees (per car):
• $40 for SCCA members who pre-register (non-members add $15)
• $50 postmarked after 1/5 and day of rally (non-members add $15)

Everyone who enters the Son of Sno*Drift Rally will be automatically entered and scored in the WINTR Series. Make checks payable to: Detroit Region SCCA, Inc.

Mail Entry To: Son of Sno*Drift, 7307 **** Rd, Algonac, MI 48001-3011 (Mary Shiloff: Registrar)

For More Information: Scott Harvey (248) 683-0207 or (248) 488-4316 (leave message please) or e-mail to: TeamHarco@juno.com

To learn more and download an entry form at: www.detroit-scca.org

Motel accommodations in the area: Holiday Inn Express, 4350 Pontiac Lake Rd, Waterford 248-674-3434 or at the Waterford Inn (or Comfort Inn) 7076 Highland Rd, Waterford 248-666-8555 or 248-666-8431

Frank Beyer has asked me to navigate for him at the Son of Sno*Drift, which should be fun. I look forward to taking part in this first WINTR Series event and hope that others come out to enjoy WINTR. Let it snow!

The WINTR Series will consist of six of the best winter rallies in the USA and Canada. The other events willl be the Long Way Home (New York), Rallye des Neige (Quebec), Ohio Winter Rally (Ohio), Maple Leaf Winter Rally (Ontario), and the Winter Challenge Rally (Vermont). Your results from the best three rallies will be used to score in the WINTR Series. Winning this series will be very challenging and should show who the top winter ralliests are.

Steve McKelvie
Franklin, MA

IP Logged
Napping

Georgetown
Reply #8 - 11/17/10 at 15:41:05

How do different classes (Novice/stock/limited/etc) correspond to each other for different rallies?

ie, if I were to do Limited class for Son of Sno*Drift, and Novice in MLWR, how would it work with scoring system?

Napping aka Yevgeniy
Napping yevgeniy.gospodinov   IP Logged
Steve_McKelvie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 11/17/10 at 20:31:52

For scoring in the WINTR Series, we will use the Overall finishing position in each rally as determined by the organizers of each rally.  So you should take steps to finish as high in the field as you can.  You say that you would run in the Son of Sno*Drift in the Limited Class.  I am going to compete in the Son of Sno*Drift in the Equipped Class to help me finish as high as possible.  My advice to you is "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight."  For the purposes of the WINTR Series borrow/bring the best stuff you can.  Each rally and organization will likely give class awards and points towards a class championship, but for the purposes of the WINTR Series we recognize the Overall finishing position.  The goal of the WINTR Series is to be a top winter rally series that is difficult and prestigious to win.  When to win the WINTR Series you will really have something to brag about.  You will have beat the best from all around and on both sides of the border.  

You mentioned that you would be in the Novice Class at the MLWR.  That would put you in an advantageous position for that rally, as I understand the rally instructions would be simplified.

Regards,
Steve McKelvie

IP Logged
Steve_McKelvie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 12/06/10 at 21:03:50

The WINTR Series will be using the website of the Northeast Division of the SCCA as a location that will provide results, standings, and other announcements related to the WINTR Series.  We have just added flyers for the first two rallies in this series.

The website address is www.nescca.com
Click on the "Road Rally" tab and you will get to the WINTR Series information.

Steve McKelvie
WINTR Series Chief Poobah

IP Logged
Taras
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #11 - 12/25/10 at 14:13:12

We are thinking about taking part at the Son of Sno* Drift.   But I just realized that it's being US, what if the instruction are all in miles and the odometer is in kilometers?  Converting every instruction in kms is impossible.  Is there going to be a set of instruction for Canadians with distances converted to kms?  Same would apply for Americans wanted to participate in Canadian events.  

IP Logged
Paul Moore
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 12/25/10 at 14:40:02

If you are running a stock odo, get ready to multiple everything by .6xxx.  If you have a calibrated odo, it doesn't matter if it is in km, miles, chains or furlongs.  It is just a calibration factor.

Paul

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #13 - 12/25/10 at 14:43:37

Taras wrote on 12/25/10 at 14:13:12:
We are thinking about taking part at the Son of Sno* Drift.   But I just realized that it's being US, what if the instruction are all in miles and the odometer is in kilometers?  Converting every instruction in kms is impossible.  Is there going to be a set of instruction for Canadians with distances converted to kms?  Same would apply for Americans wanted to participate in Canadian events.     

You know there are a fair amount of rallyists out there with American or British cars that have odometers in miles that have survived this long.  It's not the end of the world, especially since Winter rallies tend to be lighter on instructions and the navigators need something to do anyway.

Stephen

IP Logged
Taras
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #14 - 12/25/10 at 14:45:38

I don't have a rally computer, and multiplying each instruction would be overwhelming.  Sad

If we can stay on course by relying on tulips and written instructions, and calculate some distances, it could work I guess.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print