Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to Get started in Rally Racing? (Read 6107 times)
M_Gidman
YaBB Newbies

How to Get started in Rally Racing?
11/21/10 at 21:23:55

I am now a member of the MLRS and have gone to quite a few rally races. I was just wondering where to go from now? I hope to be racing in a rally soon

IP Logged
Donnie

Re: How to Get started in Rally Racing?
Reply #1 - 11/21/10 at 22:32:14

There's a manual going around.... On how to turn money into noise Smiley

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #2 - 11/21/10 at 22:38:49

MLRS of MLRC?

By you've gone to rally races before, you're just referring to spectating correct? Do you have any prior experience in auto racing such as entering rallycross events or any other events of that kind?

We're not really sure where you stand as far as starting point goes. Are you looking to be a driver or a co-driver? A little more information would help out lots in being directed in the correct direction.

Tim
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #3 - 11/22/10 at 06:46:58

There are three things you can do now:

1. Navigational rallies - to help you understand the timing and routebooks.

2. RallyX - to learn how to drive fast on snow/gravel in a safe environment.

3. Volunteer at performance rallies to learn how things work at that level.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #4 - 11/22/10 at 21:19:41

What they all said, definitely. Not all, but many performance drivers and co-drivers cut their teeth in road rally to get familiar with the sport and the people that are active in it. It's a great way to learn and network. And, you could help with Service Crew for a team for a few events (or a year). You would learn what breaks, how often it breaks, what comes loose, and probably how much a lot of stuff costs, and also how many friends you have to provide food and meals to etc.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Juggernaut Motorsports
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 11/25/10 at 15:42:25

^What Norm (nhibbert) said.

We competed in this years Tallpines rally (red Focus) and I distinctly remember my navigator saying to me "wow I'm so glad that we did nav. rally, this stuff would be so much harder to understand without that experience".

So, if you are lucky enough to have a dedicated codriver, get out to as many nav rally events as possible. They're cheap, provide a TON of seat time, and some actually challenge the driver as well.

I'll tell you that running a stage in performance rally and pushing to gain 1sec/km for example, kinda sucks when you get a 1 minute late penalty at the next control due to an error or just not paying attention as it is a 10 sec. penalty added to your time. It's much nicer to keep things clean, and when you want to risk damage/DNF by pushing harder, at least it was worthwhile if you do get through the stage!  Mistakes are bound to happen at first, but it's a steep learning curve and it comes quickly.

As was previously mentioned, you tend to meet a LOT of rally people when you do nav rally or rallyx or work a rally, especially workers and organizers (and competitors, I love that in rally you can talk to the celebrities. I remember a nice Friday night chat I had with Ken Block a few years ago regarding shakedown conditions). Thank the workers and organizers when you get the chance, they are amazing people who do amazing things (at their own expense) so we can go play with our toys.

If you alternatively want to jump right into performance rally, you better call your accountant/financial advisor and TELL them what is about to happen, as I Guarantee they will not ok it haha.

Decide if you want to build or buy. If you want to build:

Print off the CARS rule book (found here: http://www.carsrally.ca/), read it cover to cover (this will take a few days or a week at leisure), flag the pages you'll need for the build, pick a class (recommended to start in Production or Group 2/5), pick a car, find a clean example of one, have someone weld the cage in, buy all of the safety equipment and whatever mods you want/you can do as per class rules etc. Build the car to the specs, get it approved by the scrutineer and go play.

If you want to buy:

This option is usually cheaper as they tend to come with spare parts, tires, rims etc and you don't take the depreciation hit, ok well not as large as the builder. Also if it was raced recently it might have a legal rollcage, it might also need updates. Make sure you get some quality advice from a scrutineer if you decide to go this route!

A properly built car can last quite a long time and a poorly built car can cause a LOT of problem including random DNFs so choose carefully.

Also be ready to handle the event costs (the build/purchase costs are large and happen once, but the event costs are ongoing), if you can, search out sponsors, they make things a TON easier. Take time to try to get them, more than likely though you'll be on your own for at least the first couple events.   Budget an extra 20-30% because this is rally and things happen, lots of them.

Think entry costs, accommodations, gas is a big one (you never bring enough for the racecar at your first national event), tow vehicle, trailer, food at the event, generator (buy/borrow/rent), service crew (a buddy or two), tires, brakes, lights the list goes on.

In conclusion, personally I started with navigational rally, spent 5 years attending Tallpines in some capacity, worked multiple performance events in that time, and spent about a YEAR researching, hanging out in service areas, talking to rally ppl (4*, hot bits, Petey K, Tibor amongst others) and just absorbing everything I could in regards to both building and driving rally cars and cars in general.  

In June of 2009 I bought a red Ford Focus for $600 and the rest is history.  

IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 11/25/10 at 19:02:09

Juggernaut Motorsports wrote on 11/25/10 at 15:42:25:
If you alternatively want to jump right into performance rally, you better call your accountant/financial advisor and TELL them what is about to happen, as I Guarantee they will not ok it haha.

Go for it.  Cheesy

Paul Hartl
Hartl & Bell LLP
Chartered Accountants  Grin Grin Grin

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
sean burke
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 11/27/10 at 00:19:50

I bought a 1500$ honda off ebay, and studied the regulations.  I made the cage withequipment i purchased.  I knew nothing about driving fast on dirt. My first rally was Black river stages 2009.  Started the rally with worn out stock suspension, gathering many laughs about how I would never make it.  I think I had 6000 into the car with the price of the car and tools and parts.  I finished Black River with a trophy in my hand.  In the past year I have built the car up as money came along. This year was my fourth rally and my first Tall pines rally. Do I win? No. Do I have a shitload of fun, yes.Ignore the nay sayers.  Study the rule book and rely on yourself, 2wd rally is within your means.-  Sean Burke

IP Logged
2000 Impreza

Reply #8 - 11/27/10 at 01:36:14

This tread gives me so much hope that I to will eventualy get a stage car put together my self. Cheesy

IP Logged
Old Celica Parts
YaBB Newbies

a cottager now with
kids

Mississauga
Reply #9 - 12/03/10 at 23:17:26

When you are ready to build a full Performance Rally Car, send me a note and I can take you through the process of creating one from scratch (the best solution and also the most expensive path). There are a lot of little things that when done correctly will make the car a lot more reliable and enjoyable to operate.

KISS (Keep it simple and stupid) should be every rally teams moto.

tassolake at rogers dot com

tassolake   IP Logged
big_Ian

euro trash racing

Reply #10 - 12/06/10 at 08:54:02

I have made all the mistakes , including buying and building many rally cars and can share this.
buy a good built rally car and get an expierienced co driver.

it will seem expensive but it is by far and away the best, and least expensive way to go

most used rally cars will go for 1/2 to 1/10 their build cost

nothing is more annoying that your co driver getting you lost and max late-ing you

have fun and sell the house,live in the shop

I might be having too much fun....
  IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 12/06/10 at 18:57:37

^^^ This guy, whoever he is, is 100% right. He must be living in a two rally drivers' family.  Wink

The 2WD car is not your major expense in the rally racing. Also the usual "if something is cheap it is actually more expensive in the end" applies as Ian noted.

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #12 - 12/07/10 at 09:26:03

I would also advise to buy your first rally car used, and get something cheap, FWD.

If you've done some nav rallies, and you're up to it, co-driving is a great way to get introduced to the sport as well. Some people enjoy it so much that they keep on co-driving. Even if you don't enjoy it, the experience makes your first rally as a driver much easier.

Oh, and don't push too hard!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print