Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Doing the Colin Chapman Thing - Faster by getting (Read 1867 times)
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Doing the Colin Chapman Thing - Faster by getting
01/06/11 at 19:34:22

I am looking to get some weight out of my Outback. I know some of the rally-x cars have lots out of them dashes, door cards, etc.

I don't want to go that far, but I was thinking of yanking the back seat and some of the interior in the back.

Any ideas?

A little winter bench racing!

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Re: Doing the Colin Chapman Thing - Faster by getting
Reply #1 - 01/06/11 at 20:53:06

I'm not sure about the Outback, but when I took the seats out of the WRX to haul parts back in it, the back seat weighed very little. It was almost all foam. Take a look though. I think for the WRX it was like 4 - 6 bolts and both the seat and the back came out, easy.

Now, on the other hand, the front passenger seat was pretty heavy. Not super heavy, but I'd estimate maybe 60 - 80 lbs? But then you can't take along a passenger to scare if you take that out  Grin

I'd usually take everything out of the trunk at the rally-x. The donut + tools + jack weighed a bit.

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #2 - 01/06/11 at 21:46:15

Never weighed one, but I imagine the rear seat setup in the Outback has some decent weight to it... since it's a folding 60/40 setup, and the base flips up.  

need a nice fiberglass or carbon rear hatch... those weigh a ton.

IP Logged
Juggernaut Motorsports
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 01/06/11 at 22:33:32

We just did a thorough weight reduction but to a more extreme extent than you would like.
Definitely as has been said, spare tire jack etc.
-Floor mats,
-Rear seats
-Run 5L of gas
-Smaller battery or if you want to get sketchy start the car with the battery out of it and hope you don't stall.
-Run winters instead of gravels since they're lighter. Of course you need to in the winter anyways.

I know it's a little different but a steely with a gravel tire, jack, x wrench, and cordless impact cost 65lbs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print