Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Maple Leaf Winter Rally 2011 - Foray in the Forest (Read 11491 times)
PFTR
YaBB Newbies

Re: Maple Leaf Winter Rally 2011 - Foray in the Forest
Reply #15 - 02/08/11 at 20:29:31

Bruce, thanks very much (though that may be the last thank you you'll get from me!!  Grin)  I guess we'll see what happens.

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #16 - 02/08/11 at 22:57:06

I am pleased to announce that Douglas Apiaries (http://www.douglasapiaries.com/) will be supplying some *sweet* prizes for workers at MLWR! (assuming I remember to bring them)   Grin

And, as another special treat for workers, I'm thinking about bringing my antenna analyzer to check SWR for amateur radio guys... simple criteria...
-I need access to the antenna connection (ie... easily disconnected from the radio)
-it better not my -40C out (cause my fingers get cold)
-You better know how to adjust your antenna!
(Oh... and my driver has to get us there with enough time that I can actually do this for people).  

« Last Edit: 02/09/11 at 09:22:22 by dtompsett »  
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #17 - 02/09/11 at 23:28:20

Yay!  Thanks Bruce.  I prefer NOT to keep my navigator awake with terror alone.  Chocolate covered coffee beans, and an odd puzzle now and again shall do the trick.

Double coffee brownies, anyone???   Cheesy

Bruce L wrote on 02/08/11 at 20:20:00:
No, I wouldn't say there's enough to worry about. Last year's exp/inter instructions just had less info (fewer tulips, non-cumulative distances, etc.). More of the same this year, but one section is about meeting conditions, i.e. the 45th time you come to this intersection, turn your hat sideways, otherwise drive straight, that sort of thing. But seriously there are no brain-busters - none.

Stephen

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #18 - 02/10/11 at 10:51:21

Ack!  Opal's got the flu and thus, I am in search of a navigator.  I can train you on the fly.

Mature driver who wants to drive home in the same car we go up in.  Last year's event-winnng driver, so we should be good for points as well!

Stephen

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #19 - 02/10/11 at 15:41:51

Stephen... my driver has come down with the flu... sent you an email (and a PM shortly)...

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #20 - 02/10/11 at 17:06:21

Doug and I are in!  Cheesy

Stephen

IP Logged
Bruce VA3BRS
YaBB Moderator

Scarborough
Reply #21 - 02/10/11 at 21:00:02

[quote author=4A75766E6976727C190 link=1295226556/15#17 date=1297312100]Yay!  Thanks Bruce.  I prefer NOT to keep my navigator awake with terror alone.  Chocolate covered coffee beans, and an odd puzzle now and again shall do the trick.

You Can Get Chocolate covered coffee beans at the "bulk food store" on snow rd in Bancroft if anyboy is interested

« Last Edit: 02/10/11 at 22:41:17 by Bruce VA3BRS »  
  IP Logged
Napping

Georgetown
Reply #22 - 02/14/11 at 11:07:21

Here's my 2 cents on this weekend's experience:

This was really great rally all around. Amaising roads (some could use pacenotes).

There's definitely an indurance aspect to this rally. Mind starts playing tricks on you by the time morning comes. Trivial math becomes not so trivial

Huge thanks again for the outback crew that pulled us out!! We owe you guys a beer!

I think it's interesting to note how spread out cars got by the 5th checkpoints. After ditching the car, and getting it out, and asking 9.5 time allowance (should've done 8.5 tho..), we were still first car on a road.

Points-wise, it was a very close battle. We were in 3rd after first leg. Then managed to move up to 1st after second leg. I made the same mistake in second leg as Stephen did, during the DIY checkpoint, forgot to account for 36 second pause and got -0.6 minutes penalty, wich partially sealed our fate later on.. (more on this later)
Timing-wise, we were more in sync with the road on second leg and did very well on staying on time.
Third leg is were fatigue kicked in and I made a major miscalculations in the very very end. When zeroing end of leg, I was off by 2 minutes.. (my mornign brain decided that 9+5 equal 16 )

Now, lookign at the scores, First place scored 10.2 minutes in penalties, and we scored 10.5, meaning first and second places were off by 18 seconds... This where the realizations kicks in. If at any of the 3 legs I have avoided just ONE of the mistakes I've made (First leg - extra minute on TA, second leg, - missed 36 second pause, third leg - 2 minutes miscalc.), we would've taken the trophy. So let my experience be lesson to other navigators: attention to detail is crucial! Even seconds matter.

Again, huge thanks to organizers and volunteeers for making this event happen and see you all at Spring Runoff and minirallies.

Napping aka Yevgeniy
Napping yevgeniy.gospodinov   IP Logged
Taras
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #23 - 02/14/11 at 12:47:55

I would also like to thank organizers for the great rally.  Huge fun!  Beautiful roads! Great conditions!  

After we got caught speeding in a quiet zone (45 in 40 zone), missed a couple of turns, missed a couple of check points (dont ask  Grin), and got stuck in a snow bank, we weren't even fighting for points anymore, we just wanted to finish, and enjoy the fun drive.

Also I'd like to thank the guys in a silver Civic SIR for stopping and trying to pull us out of the snow bank.   And of course, huge thanks to the team in a grey STI for pulling us out and keeping us in the game.

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #24 - 02/14/11 at 14:58:41

I must pass along my thanks (and apologies) to the workers.  I had intended to bring a bunch of gifts for workers (in the form of some containers of honey from my bees), but in the mad rush to leave, they were forgotten in the garage.  

Sorry... and thanks again!  My driver and I had a fantastic time.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print