Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2WD underestimated and underpromoted? (Read 4274 times)
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

2WD underestimated and underpromoted?
02/01/11 at 21:30:51

Chris Duplessis won OVERALL  Shocked the longest stage of the Snow*Drift Rally (about 15 miles long) in his more or less stock Scion. It does not matter that the car has no power (snow and ice removes most of the power difference), but I cannot see 2WD beating AWD on a slippery surface. Chris was about 20 seconds faster than the second car.

On a related topic - Isn't is a time to get 2WD their due recognition in Canada? And, do not tell me that the token 2WD championship and 30 seconds of TV coverage do that...But I am not posting this to collect the responses complaining about the TV coverage, and getting the usual "something should be done, but dunno what" and "see, the good driver in 2WD can beat the AWD cars" posts.

Maybe the 2WD championship should be put on exactly the same footing as overall championship (i.e. two championships: 2WD and AWD championship)? Maybe some kind of Max Attack should be established. I think something radical should be done.  I think there is a need to increase the profile of 2WD in Canada.  Any suggestions that could be taken to the CARS board?

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Do_It_Sidewayz

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: 2WD underestimated and underpromoted?
Reply #1 - 02/02/11 at 11:42:38

Paul,

I agree with you... I think Max Attack is great, and it really is doing great things in the states.

Unfortunately, it's going to take someone to step up to the plate and organized Max Attack Canada.   You can go to CARS with a proposal, and while they might ok it, you are not going to see the sponsorship dollars etc.  

Someone is going to have to organize the class,  find the sponsors, and have everything planned, then go to CARS and say this is what we have...lets do it.  Exactly what they did with MaxAttack in the states.

Personally, i'd really like to see Chris come to a CDN event with the Scion.    Looking at the entry for PN and Sno-drift, i think it's safe to say that the "depth of field" is much deeper in Canada.   We have alot of fast cars, and fast teams.  I'm not trying to take anything away from Chris, he is very quick.   But AWD doesn't do a thing for you if you aren't using it...a well driven 2wd car will still romp anyone as long as the throttle is held down!

IP Logged
darryl

Reply #2 - 02/03/11 at 09:38:24

I'm sure everyone remembers Sprongl's in the Swift+ a few years ago.

Check out this cool vid of Frank driving away from a Subaru.  Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOGgs04qHA

-Darryl

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #3 - 02/03/11 at 09:53:26

darryl wrote on 02/03/11 at 09:38:24:
I'm sure everyone remembers Sprongl's in the Swift+ a few years ago.

Check out this cool vid of Frank driving away from a Subaru.  Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOGgs04qHA

-Darryl

BTW that Subaru is being driven by Randy Zimmer (I recognize the recording device that puts all the data on the screen)  - who can pedal a car pretty hard too, so  it is not just any old Subaru.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #4 - 02/03/11 at 14:24:30

Randy Zimmer, Frank Sprongl, and (I think) a third car, all got bottled up and forced to stop on Old Detlor because they couldn't find a way around John Vanos' Subaru which was upside down on its roof blocking the road.

Eventually, between the bunch of them, they slid John's car off the road (still on its roof), then raced on.

Randy, realizing that he was holding up Frank, moved over to let the Sprongls pass, then tried to stick with them to the finish of the stage, all the while capturing this fabulous view of the Swift being pushed to the limit.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #5 - 02/03/11 at 15:22:34

I think the 3rd car may have been LDR out of Maine?

Watch the next video that comes up about the Suzuki's and listen for the converstation at about 0:45 in:

Bill Bacon - "Back me out I don't have any mirrors."
Unseen crew - "If you drove better you'd have mirrors!"  Grin

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #6 - 02/06/11 at 18:40:57

Dave Cotie wrote on 02/03/11 at 15:22:34:
"If you drove better you'd have mirrors!"

That was a great line.

I shot those videos.

Frank&DanSprongl/BillBacon&PeterWatt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StF0eDKwer0

JohnBuffum&NathalieRichard - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INyN4WJ79HA

MattIoro&OleHolter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG4-mrxcVOE

WWW   IP Logged
Ken Nazeer

Ontario,  Canada
Reply #7 - 02/07/11 at 11:38:30

Dave Cotie wrote on 02/03/11 at 09:53:26:
BTW that Subaru is being driven by Randy Zimmer (I recognize the recording device that puts all the data on the screen)  - who can pedal a car pretty hard too, so  it is not just any old Subaru.

Randy rocks! His car is not a turbo car but he could drive it hard!

Too bad he has sold this car and is going to be racing in RallyX.

Ken
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print