Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2WD underestimated and underpromoted? Part II (Read 5653 times)
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

2WD underestimated and underpromoted? Part II
02/09/11 at 08:34:17

I kicked this into another thread since the first turned more into a discussion about great 2wd cars and drivers...

Quote:
Chris Duplessis won OVERALL   the longest stage of the Snow*Drift Rally (about 15 miles long) in his more or less stock Scion. It does not matter that the car has no power (snow and ice removes most of the power difference), but I cannot see 2WD beating AWD on a slippery surface. Chris was about 20 seconds faster than the second car.

On a related topic - Isn't is a time to get 2WD their due recognition in Canada? And, do not tell me that the token 2WD championship and 30 seconds of TV coverage do that...But I am not posting this to collect the responses complaining about the TV coverage, and getting the usual "something should be done, but dunno what" and "see, the good driver in 2WD can beat the AWD cars" posts.

Maybe the 2WD championship should be put on exactly the same footing as overall championship (i.e. two championships: 2WD and AWD championship)? Maybe some kind of Max Attack should be established. I think something radical should be done.  I think there is a need to increase the profile of 2WD in Canada.  Any suggestions that could be taken to the CARS board?

Above quoted from Paul's original message...

Well what are some ideas on what can be done?  I know there are issue around money and sponsorship but if we toss some ideas around maybe we can formulate a plan that we stop shopping around for sponsorship.

Let see some ideas...  

Derek.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Re: 2WD underestimated and underpromoted? Part II
Reply #1 - 02/09/11 at 12:09:53

Correct me if I am wrong, but there was an award for 2wd Championship for Canada this year (last year?) and won by the Zedrils (the only team that entered enough events) that was sponsored by Castrol???

If we want a MaxAttack clone we will have to do it ourselves. I have posted a number of times encouraging the MA guys to consider using Tall Pines as a wrap-up event however they seem very reluctant to come to Canada for an event. Sad

« Last Edit: 02/09/11 at 22:45:47 by Dave Cotie »  

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 02/09/11 at 16:29:37

There is a lot of groundswell for "similar to MaxAttack in Canada" and I think that a few guys will try to put something together (including me). However, they will need the support and help of all the guys driving the 2WD. So, whoever is willing to help, please say so. I thing that the meaning of the word "help" will be qualified  a bit later.

The fact is that one just have to compare the number and the quality of the 2WD at the  Snow*Drift with Perce Neige to see the impact of MaxAttack.

Mark has done a lot of work already and I am awaiting his stuff to show up in my mailbox. I spoke at PN with a few guys, and the idea shaping up might probably be related to OPRC (4 events) 2WD with a focus on the "grassroots" nature of 2WD and promotion through the new media (youtube, social networks, etc) rather than the traditional media (TV, newspapers - as 2WD would not get there anyway). But as always, $$$ talks. So, the first step is to put together a consistent "message" to present to potential sponsors. As a consequence, a realistic feedback would be welcome.

And, yes, there is a 2WD championship, but one might consider other alternatives as well.

Paul

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 02/09/11 at 22:38:35

I am in to help.  This is reason I wanted to get your post re-focused...

My understanding of the current 2wd championship is that it will not help the grassroots since it is CRC or NA Cup based and for a lot of us I suspect we will do mostly regional based events.  

I agree with you getting a consistent message and plan for potential format even if it just OPRC based to start. Sponsorship and money will be hard to come by without being able to show a plan and structure for the events.

On a related note I know someone who runs a automotive based marketing company that helps put sponsorships deal together and depending on what we can put together has expressed interest in helping us. But again in this we need a plan.

Derek.

WWW   IP Logged
Juggernaut Motorsports
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 02/10/11 at 10:24:42

I am in to help as well, as I would really like to see more support for us 2wd guys.  It's a great level of competition that embodies a ton of camaraderie as we all know and I feel that a lot of people are missing out. OPRC is a definite target.

In terms of approach, I agree with the needing to first see who's available, creating the plan, who can fill what positions/responsibilities and finally taking it to sponsors etc.

Andrew

IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 02/13/11 at 22:00:07

ANYBODY else willing to help?

Paul

hartlbell   IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #6 - 02/14/11 at 12:08:56

I can help, although more with the technical side of things.

IP Logged
HiTempguy
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 02/17/11 at 18:14:21

No love for the western guys? Just cause we're on the other side of the country doesn't mean we can't read your message boards  Tongue

Max Attack appears to be a national-esque program, why not this? Alberta has some great events regionally as well that could be utilized if a three event series like the states was used...

Just sayin (cause I've been thinking it to)  Wink

IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 02/17/11 at 22:34:19

Sorry, a lots of love for Western guys, but we will start really small, regional, rather than national. Hope that it works. If yes, you can take it West. But we are always willing to share ideas. Send me your email and we will keep you posted...................Paul (hartlbell AT gmail.com)

hartlbell   IP Logged
SuzukiSwiftGT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 02/19/11 at 13:16:16

paul, i would like to help too. although i dont know what i could do concidering my level of involvement in the sport currently. but still, if you can think of anything that needs doing i would be glad to lend a hand.

something i've noticed is that flatovercrest.com is very sparce. their coverage is just like everyone elses. talk about the top teams with a mention of who won the other classes at each national event. this means really only 6 main articles per year from them....

is it worth seeing if they would be willing to do 2wd features? it would give them more to report on. more events and more to talk about for the national events. im sure having 2wd articles on their webpage would be mutually benefitial to them and the 2wd cause. they would get more traffic because they would have more articles. 2wd would get more exposure. And because they are nation wide it seems, this could include hitempguy. haha.

just a thought anyways.

IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 02/21/11 at 16:04:51

Anybody can help Smiley

Can you contact me at hartlbell AT gmail DOT com

Thanks...................Paul

« Last Edit: 02/21/11 at 21:05:04 by overthehill »  

hartlbell   IP Logged
corywannamaker

Reply #11 - 02/25/11 at 11:22:46

SuzukiSwiftGT wrote on 02/19/11 at 13:16:16:
paul, i would like to help too. although i dont know what i could do concidering my level of involvement in the sport currently. but still, if you can think of anything that needs doing i would be glad to lend a hand.

something i've noticed is that flatovercrest.com is very sparce. their coverage is just like everyone elses. talk about the top teams with a mention of who won the other classes at each national event. this means really only 6 main articles per year from them....

is it worth seeing if they would be willing to do 2wd features? it would give them more to report on. more events and more to talk about for the national events. im sure having 2wd articles on their webpage would be mutually benefitial to them and the 2wd cause. they would get more traffic because they would have more articles. 2wd would get more exposure. And because they are nation wide it seems, this could include hitempguy. haha.

just a thought anyways.

I own liveflatout.com and we are going to be doing some feature stuff on the grass roots cars and teams this year. We are all about the grass roots stuff right now and trying to let peope know that this does not have to be a sport for the rich and famous. Not meaning to hyjack the thread but please contact me with any ideas that you have. We have just got our new website up and did not get to make it to PN but plan to make all other local events. We will be doing some features on smaller teams as well as full features on the rally itself. Pics videos etc. If any 2wd cars have in car footage and would like it posted on our webste please let me know and we can arrage for us to get the footage and edit it for the website.

Thanks
Cory  

We will let you come play. But we wont let you win.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print