Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rallycross (Read 15631 times)
Donnie

Rallycross
02/14/11 at 19:38:53

Why is it that i get the impression that no one is interested in formulating any sort of Regional Rallycross Championship based on a fully prepped Performance Rally car platform? I really don't understand this considering that this would be advantageous for Drivers/ Co-drivers (possibly sharing cars), 2-wheel drive cars would get more exposure, we may see more involvement of sponsors,the overall cost of these events would be considerably less, And above all Spectators would have much more opportunity to see a lot more action.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Rallycross
Reply #1 - 02/15/11 at 11:21:29

RallySport Ontario did organize a Regional RallyCross Series for two years (2007 and 2008 I  believe), but it died  when only one club was willing to continue organizing (MLRC), so it has become a highly successful club series.

To offer an RX series for performance cars only would almost certainly  not be financially viable for the organizing club.

In effect a non-competitive alternative is being offered by MLRC through its Test Days.

IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 02/15/11 at 16:02:40

Donnie what I think you would be more interested in is a Rally Sprint series

The biggest problems, like all Rallies, RX ,

Suitable Venue

Organizers

ARMS Rally have not really had a rally program for many years however they started a RallySprint series a couple of years ago as a way to get people to build cars. One of these cars took novice at RPN and there is discussion down the road for a Perf rally in NS

Pete g

Pete G
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #3 - 02/15/11 at 17:33:55

The whole problem stems from relying on Organizing Clubs then..., be it financial or organizational ???

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 02/15/11 at 19:51:51

No I think the whole problem stems from a very simple set of problems.

1. People that own land want insurance to allow these events (if they will even allow them in the first place).

2. Insurance costs money.

3. That money come from competitors. They pay entry fees.

4. The entry fees for these types of events start to get close to the costs of a full-blown rally.

5. Competitors say "Then I might as well enter a Rally, if I am going to pay that."

6. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Shocked

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #5 - 02/15/11 at 22:42:45

Actually the insurance through ASN/FIA seems pretty reasonable, if you ran the event for prepped Rally Cars on the Golton Super Special Stage in the same fashion and magnitude as it was for Tall Pines, except use the long track.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Dean Campbell
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #6 - 02/15/11 at 23:14:39

I've said this before to anyone who will listen... RX should be the entry level to the sport. Promoting it as a venue for fully prepped cars or trailer queens reduces the perception that RX is accessible in a daily driver. It's a big reason I continue to compete in my daily driver. I joked a few years ago that I wanted to get turbo "kill" stickers made to stick on my car for every turbo car I beat.. I'm starting to think I should get trailer stickers.

In fact, I am not entirely opposed to trailered cars. I think having logbooked cars is pretty cool for anyone who hasn't had the chance to see one up close. My biggest beef is having cars that show up totally stripped out, looking like a giant pile of crap. It looks terrible, and the pace drivers push these cars, while impressive, verges on unsafe... I could point to one event where the same car rolled twice, with no roll-over protection. At least if a rallycar rolls, it has a cage and proper seats and harnesses. At the minimum, cars should be licensed for the road, to help control the number of total shitboxes that show up.

Anyhow, I'll end my rant and respond more directly Donnie.

What you are looking for (and what I'm looking for) is the return of rallysprint. My understanding of the matter is that rallysprint used to be the stepping stone between RX and stage rally. The rules used to reflect that, allowing regular road going cars, provided after two events some form of roll protection (including bolt in options) be installed in the car. Rallysprints were to be run on roads that kept the average speed below that of stage rallies, and included a need for a navigator.

Then, in one Canadian region, things got out of hand, and instead of enforcing the rules, the powers that be decided to change to a requirement for a fully logbooked rally car. Anyone in my position, with a daily driver, and a desire for more seat time, but no cash for a fully prepped car, got left out in the cold.

The closest we have to rallysprints now are test days, which go unscored and do not actually require a navigator. Since you still have to use a fully logbooked car, it still prevents folks like me from growing within the sport. I'd really like to see the rules changed back, and enforced, to provide a much needed stepping stone between RX and stage rally. I think given the number of people who would benefit is quite large. Off the top I can count at least five drivers who I've seen come and go through rallycross, who aren't doing much of anything right now, but would probably be all over rallysprint. I'm sure there are way more.

I know suitable roads exist, and I know of one person that has volunteered to organize a rallysprint, but without a rule change, what's the point?

Dean Campbell
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #7 - 02/15/11 at 23:36:59

Dean Campbell wrote on 02/15/11 at 23:14:39:
I've said this before to anyone who will listen... RX should be the entry level to the sport. Promoting it as a venue for fully prepped cars or trailer queens reduces the perception that RX is accessible in a daily driver. It's a big reason I continue to compete in my daily driver. I joked a few years ago that I wanted to get turbo "kill" stickers made to stick on my car for every turbo car I beat.. I'm starting to think I should get trailer stickers.

In fact, I am not entirely opposed to trailered cars. I think having logbooked cars is pretty cool for anyone who hasn't had the chance to see one up close. My biggest beef is having cars that show up totally stripped out, looking like a giant pile of crap. It looks terrible, and the pace drivers push these cars, while impressive, verges on unsafe... I could point to one event where the same car rolled twice, with no roll-over protection. At least if a rallycar rolls, it has a cage and proper seats and harnesses. At the minimum, cars should be licensed for the road, to help control the number of total shitboxes that show up.

Anyhow, I'll end my rant and respond more directly Donnie.

What you are looking for (and what I'm looking for) is the return of rallysprint. My understanding of the matter is that rallysprint used to be the stepping stone between RX and stage rally. The rules used to reflect that, allowing regular road going cars, provided after two events some form of roll protection (including bolt in options) be installed in the car. Rallysprints were to be run on roads that kept the average speed below that of stage rallies, and included a need for a navigator.

Then, in one Canadian region, things got out of hand, and instead of enforcing the rules, the powers that be decided to change to a requirement for a fully logbooked rally car. Anyone in my position, with a daily driver, and a desire for more seat time, but no cash for a fully prepped car, got left out in the cold.

The closest we have to rallysprints now are test days, which go unscored and do not actually require a navigator. Since you still have to use a fully logbooked car, it still prevents folks like me from growing within the sport. I'd really like to see the rules changed back, and enforced, to provide a much needed stepping stone between RX and stage rally. I think given the number of people who would benefit is quite large. Off the top I can count at least five drivers who I've seen come and go through rallycross, who aren't doing much of anything right now, but would probably be all over rallysprint. I'm sure there are way more.

I know suitable roads exist, and I know of one person that has volunteered to organize a rallysprint, but without a rule change, what's the point?

I'm talking about an event separate and apart from the Four Star Motorsport Rallycross Championship, believe me, "WE" love this series and we run two cars in it. We are not trying to push anyone out in cold.... We  are interested in is a series similar to what is going on in the States, but without the whole six cars on the track thing. Basically a prepped rally car specific event, that focuses on driver skill rather than absolute speed.

« Last Edit: 02/16/11 at 00:28:53 by Donnie »  

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #8 - 02/16/11 at 00:26:35

(At the minimum, cars should be licensed for the road, to help control the number of total shitboxes that show up.)

This statement somewhat concerns me.I cannot count the number of times i have saw cars leave Rallycross that were plated for the road, that were by no means fit for the road after an event.I've had a guy ask me for brake fluid  during the day,blow by me a 120k on the way home. Considering the beating that most steering/suspension parts take during an event, I personally would never consider driving a car back to the city after an event.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #9 - 02/16/11 at 01:00:54

Donnie wrote on 02/16/11 at 00:26:35:
(At the minimum, cars should be licensed for the road, to help control the number of total shitboxes that show up.)

This statement somewhat concerns me.I cannot count the number of times i have saw cars leave Rallycross that were plated for the road, that were by no means fit for the road after an event.I've had a guy ask me for brake fluid  during the day,blow by me a 120k on the way home. Considering the beating that most steering/suspension parts take during an event, I personally would never consider driving a car back to the city after an event.

My $500 Subaru has been:

- driven to two rally-X and run in both of them.
- I used it for the TP work day.
- I am currently using it because the rear hard line in my Explorer rusted out after 13 years.
- I plan to use it for Nav rallies.
- I use it for the occasional hoonage after fresh snow falls!
- I even drive my kids around in it.
- I drove it to Peterborough and got company mileage that was equivalent to 1/2 the purchase price!  Grin

Maybe that is why I am slow at the rally-X's but I am learning, but it is fully licensed and insured. I think this could be an excellent idea.

Edit: That just happens to be the way I am set-up. I thought about this after I posted and not eveyone may be set-up to register and license their car. So to each his own. As Dean said this is an entry level activity and everyone should be allowed to enter how they choose (as long as they meet the rules).

« Last Edit: 02/16/11 at 18:35:27 by Dave Cotie »  

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
kelly_s
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 02/16/11 at 07:51:36

Donnie wrote on 02/16/11 at 00:26:35:

If this comes about, I'll be out of the rallycross game and I would rather stay around for a while. I have a truck and a trailer so there is no need to get my VW licensed for the road. I got into rallycross because it was cheap, simple, and safe.

Even with the few roll overs that have occured, have there been any injuries? Dean, I think for the speeds that are reached during a rallycross, a car without any roll over protection is more than safe enough. Now if the car has a lot of structure rotted away or something that is obviously wrong then sure, i would not want them running.

I just feel that rallycross seems to be working fine. Now having a rallysprint on a road like Galway with road legal cars, that would be a blast but highly unlikely.

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 02/16/11 at 08:57:52

Dean had it exactly right when he outlined the change in the CARS RallySprint rules a few years ago. It used to be the stepping stone between RallyCross and Performance events, requring a roll bar, not a cage and with speed/course requirements in between the other two. When the rule change came about (for exactly the reason Dean indicated), Ray Felice, the RSO President, fought the change but lost. We were just about to run a three event RallySprint series when that change was approved, effectively killing the initiative.

I suggest that if you would like to see it changed back, make that known officially to the RSO Board. Discussions on forums like this are great, but are not taken as official delegations to the RSO Board. There are several ways to do that. One really good way would be to attend the RSO AGM on March 19th in Peterborough and make your wishes known in the discussion period. If the rules change back, I will personally offer to organize RS events immediately on behalf of MLRC.

In my previous post I mentioned that financial viability is an issue for clubs putting on events for a limited group i.e. performance cars only. The entry fee would have to be much higher than at the current RallyCrosses. I'm not sure what Donnie is looking for in requesting events for performance cars only. More seat time? Not having to share with the non-performance cars?  

IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #12 - 02/16/11 at 10:03:23

Its doesn't surprise me much that certain "parties" would hijack a thread and miss the point altogether. Lets face it MLRC is not big on change, being a member i see that, and rightly so.....i guess. I'm left with the the impression that "if they (MLRC) hasn't done it it ain't worth doing". What this thread is about is an "Event" a single "Event" just to test it's viability  economically and to see just what kind of interest it arouses. This event would be a closed event based on two classes, 2wd & AWD prepped Performance Rally Cars, there would be no Championship points awarded. This would be an opportunity to give 2wd class the exposure they wish to have on this side of the "boarder". Two class Awards 2wd & AWD and a AWD/2wd "showdown" between the two award winners just to settle things once and for all !!!! Golton Stage is the BEST venue for this, as this course focuses on driver skill more than absolute speed. The Golton's would be more than happy to supply food/ camping at a reasonable cost which ='s ECONOMIC IMPACT which is a good thing Smiley Lets make it a weekend thing, hang out, have fun, and support a sport we truly enjoy !!!

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #13 - 02/16/11 at 10:10:45

Dean can be in charge of stickers Smiley

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Juggernaut Motorsports
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - 02/16/11 at 13:08:36

My .02

As a fellow competitor in both regards, I would like to say that the rallysprint is something that interests me as it would provide more seat time for the mid ranged speed stuff at a proposed more reasonable cost than a testing day. Could use something like half of a Lanark (vs. Galway which is rough on tires) type road with LOTS of hay bales for chicanes to slow the average speed to well below stage rally levels. As explained below, it would really bridge the gap as Dean has mentioned, between rallyx and stage rally and allow competitors to develop as drivers. It would allow competitors to see how quickly their goals can be attained in a performance setting and when they can begin the onslaught, if ever.  

I know that was not the intended purpose of the thread so,

The Golton stage is fun but I don't often get to use the specific technical skills I learn there on the stages as often as I would like. Or maybe it's just not as often as I think  Huh.  The surface plays a large part in this later in the day.

Does it contribute to increased confidence in R&L 1, 2, 3's? Yes it does.  

Is it cheap seat time? Absolutely!

The principles are the same but when our car can only get to third gear once ( with a rather short 4.75 FDR) and for a VERY short period of time on the straight in the back through the two trees before the last few corners, there simply is no substitute for stage rally. However that's not the point of rallyx. It's meant to be cheap, accessible, relaxed and fun.

If you were to set up a prepped performance rally day only, we would consider coming as it's basically just another rally cross (leaning more towards a testing day really) but more than likely a social day with many of the seed 5/6 competitors. Don't get me wrong when I say that the wait times when there are a large number of competitors can be laborious, as I do like the event as a whole. With the smaller number of teams that would show by my best guess, we would get more runs in.

AK

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print