Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rallycross (Read 15623 times)
Alexei S

I hate trees

Re: Rallycross
Reply #15 - 02/16/11 at 13:33:19

My $0.02,

IMO, I personally would not be interested in running Golton as a performance rally-x car series because the track is too tight and the seat time is too low for me to justify getting a log booked car on a trailer and out there. A low entry fee would be appealing, but the track just doesn't let a car stretch its legs.

If there was another venue that was more open, it may be worth it but I don't know of any other one.

IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #16 - 02/16/11 at 13:55:36

Alexei S wrote on 02/16/11 at 13:33:19:
My $0.02,

IMO, I personally would not be interested in running Golton as a performance rally-x car series because the track is too tight and the seat time is too low for me to justify getting a log booked car on a trailer and out there. A low entry fee would be appealing, but the track just doesn't let a car stretch its legs.

If there was another venue that was more open, it may be worth it but I don't know of any other one.

Believe me, properly prepared cars, experienced drivers and some track modifications would = less extractions which would equal more seat time.With regard to track modifications,i spoke to Ross at the last MLRC meeting, and there was mention of a second track, this could be integrated to the existing track, that is unless Ross's real intention was to split the existing track into two tracks, which IMO would not be in the best interest of MLRC and it's Rallycross events.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #17 - 02/16/11 at 15:08:23

Donnie wrote on 02/16/11 at 10:03:23:
Its doesn't surprise me much that certain "parties" would hijack a thread and miss the point altogether. Lets face it MLRC is not big on change, being a member i see that, and rightly so.....i guess. I'm left with the the impression that "if they (MLRC) hasn't done it it ain't worth doing". What this thread is about is an "Event" a single "Event" just to test it's viability  economically and to see just what kind of interest it arouses. This event would be a closed event based on two classes, 2wd & AWD prepped Performance Rally Cars, there would be no Championship points awarded. This would be an opportunity to give 2wd class the exposure they wish to have on this side of the "boarder". Two class Awards 2wd & AWD and a AWD/2wd "showdown" between the two award winners just to settle things once and for all !!!! Golton Stage is the BEST venue for this, as this course focuses on driver skill more than absolute speed. The Golton's would be more than happy to supply food/ camping at a reasonable cost which ='s ECONOMIC IMPACT which is a good thing Smiley Lets make it a weekend thing, hang out, have fun, and support a sport we truly enjoy !!!

Donnie, maybe I am being obtuse, but I don't understand from your original post why it needs to be a seperate event?

I guess because you are looking for more runs per car or something?

If that is the case then why don't you organize something for a Saturday before a regular rally-X? If not why not let the prepped cars run as a seperate class (like the drivers chose to do at the Oct. Rally-X)?

I also don't understand why this would get anyone more "exposure"? Rally-X isn't exactly going to get front page of the Toronto Star Sports section. The Rally Car series in the U.S gets coverage because it is wheel-to-wheel, but that is not what you are proposing.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #18 - 02/16/11 at 17:16:00

Dave Cotie wrote on 02/16/11 at 15:08:23:
Donnie wrote on 02/16/11 at 10:03:23:
Its doesn't surprise me much that certain "parties" would hijack a thread and miss the point altogether. Lets face it MLRC is not big on change, being a member i see that, and rightly so.....i guess. I'm left with the the impression that "if they (MLRC) hasn't done it it ain't worth doing". What this thread is about is an "Event" a single "Event" just to test it's viability  economically and to see just what kind of interest it arouses. This event would be a closed event based on two classes, 2wd & AWD prepped Performance Rally Cars, there would be no Championship points awarded. This would be an opportunity to give 2wd class the exposure they wish to have on this side of the "boarder". Two class Awards 2wd & AWD and a AWD/2wd "showdown" between the two award winners just to settle things once and for all !!!! Golton Stage is the BEST venue for this, as this course focuses on driver skill more than absolute speed. The Golton's would be more than happy to supply food/ camping at a reasonable cost which ='s ECONOMIC IMPACT which is a good thing Smiley Lets make it a weekend thing, hang out, have fun, and support a sport we truly enjoy !!!

Donnie, maybe I am being obtuse, but I don't understand from your original post why it needs to be a seperate event?

I guess because you are looking for more runs per car or something?

If that is the case then why don't you organize something for a Saturday before a regular rally-X? If not why not let the prepped cars run as a seperate class (like the drivers chose to do at the Oct. Rally-X)?

I also don't understand why this would get anyone more "exposure"? Rally-X isn't exactly going to get front page of the Toronto Star Sports section. The Rally Car series in the U.S gets coverage because it is wheel-to-wheel, but that is not what you are proposing.

(If that is the case then why don't you organize something for a Saturday before a regular rally-X?)

This wouldn't constitute a formal invite on behalf of the MLRC would it ??

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Dweeb
YaBB Newbies

Reply #19 - 02/16/11 at 18:10:01

Golton stage is good for the first 2 runs, after that it becomes very rough. So as a Rally-x it kind of does its job, at least in the beginning of the day. The speed is not there to compare it to an actual stage, after all it is a Super Special Stage designed for spectators.  But it can be used for “full prep” rally cars, and them having their own class. It was done at the fall rally-x.

Only thing I wish the road was longer, and not a 1:40min sprint. It would be nice if we could find a course for rally-x that was 4-5 min long.

As for Rally-sprint, I do not think Golton would be good. It is too short and too slow.  As mentioned, Gallway or similar road would be much better.  However the speed would be higher.  This could be avoided by having chicanes on the straights.

I don’t know all the rules and regulations regarding rally-x and rally-sprint, but it would be nice if something like a combination of rally-sprint and rally-x course was possible, where the length of the road (an actual road not a field) would be 4-5km long, and yet you did not require a cage. Using a good setup of the road (chicanes), the speeds could be kept somewhat low also. Obviously you would need the normal safety stuff, helmet, seatbelts, and a safe and PROPER car.  (it should not matter if it is plated or not, but it should  pass a proper safety inspection !! )    

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #20 - 02/16/11 at 18:41:01

Donnie wrote on 02/16/11 at 17:16:00:
(If that is the case then why don't you organize something for a Saturday before a regular rally-X?)

This wouldn't constitute a formal invite on behalf of the MLRC would it ??

Seeing that I am just a volunteer and in fact, I haven't even signed up for membership yet for 2011, I would say that I am in no position to "approve" anything on behalf of MLRC.

However I am sure that if you proposed something and had a solid plan, they would listen. They are always looking for more people to help out on the organizing side.

You seem to have a vision and passion for this type of event. Put together something and propose it.

« Last Edit: 02/16/11 at 19:19:55 by Dave Cotie »  

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #21 - 02/16/11 at 18:55:38

Thanks Dave, My statement was a attempt to put some humor to this thread. Your compliment promotes confidence in that we can put something  together at a reasonable cost that is a hell of a lot of fun with some "showdown" style competition, to give guys like Leo a venue to "Pull out all the stops" Smiley

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Dean Campbell
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #22 - 02/16/11 at 20:59:08

As one of your "Parties" Donnie, sorry to hijack. Given you initially posted about a championship, I thought you were talking about a multi event series. Absolutely, it would be interesting to see your vision brought to bear. I understand how you feel about seeing progress and change, and am presently working to develop some change in other respects!

Dean Campbell
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #23 - 02/16/11 at 21:27:01

A Championship would be a result to a lot of hard work. But this needs a starting point to test its viability and potential. An "Event" would be a good opportunity to shake the preverbal tree and see what falls out.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
  IP Logged
Daniel Buehler

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 02/16/11 at 22:29:49

Dean Campbell wrote on 02/15/11 at 23:14:39:
I could point to one event where the same car rolled twice, with no roll-over protection.

It wasn't me!  Grin

IP Logged
Dweeb
YaBB Newbies

Reply #25 - 02/16/11 at 22:41:43

Dean, he didn't roll 2 different times, once he put it on the side only  Grin    the second time he did a McRae and continued. Kind of cool actually, he didn’t freak out, nor did he panic.

But i do understand you point on the safety issue, as some cars that come to the rally-x are, well, not road worthy to put it mildly.  I remember cars dropping their gas tank on a run.  Plus we had roll overs in the pit in the early 2000’s, but never any injury.    
There should be some kind of rule on the worthiness of a car doing a rally-x. But “plated or not” should not make a difference.

IP Logged
Dean Campbell
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #26 - 02/16/11 at 23:07:07

Dweeb, I agree, it's more about worthiness. Thing is we'd need someone who would volunteer to do said inspections on a regular basis, which sounds like it could be hard to get to happen. By requiring cars be plated and licensed, you require that at some point, the car was safetied. I know that doesn't mean it's a recent safety, nor that a car that passes a safety is proof of worth for a rallycross...

Dean Campbell
  IP Logged
Dweeb
YaBB Newbies

Reply #27 - 02/16/11 at 23:41:01

Having someone do the “safety” would be a good.  But it will also create many huge arguments, unless there is a very, very specific guideline to follow. Without a guideline/rule, I can already see the arguments. “well, I think this is totally fine, or, I ran like this somewhere else no problem, or I think it’s safe, or I have valid plates and insurance crap so it must be safe….etc., etc., etc.

That is why I said “plated or non-plated” makes no difference, but it must abide by these safety rules no matter what.  

I would gladly do the safety, but I am hated already enough, so I pity the poor soul who would volunteer for this job, as i can forsee the issues and arguments he will have.

For rally-x, I think the rules should be very simple and easy to allow / disqualify the entry.    

Something to the aspect of:

All wheel studs/lug-nuts must be on and secured.
All brakes must be functioning
No leaking fluid of any kind
No broken windshield (minor chips are ok, but no fractures)
Battery must be securely fastened to frame/subframe with proper tie-downs (not a strap or a rubber band)
No lose items in the car
Proper safety restrains (either OEM or a 5/6 point seatbelts)
Legal helmets
No rust holes or damage to A, B,C pillars on car or car roof, unless full certified cage in car (for roll over security)

There are few others, but I hope you get my point….  

Yet I have seen entries that were “rally-prepped” cars by  “shops” at the rally-x's over the last 2 years that I would NOT allow to run just based on the above.  

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #28 - 02/16/11 at 23:44:02

I do remember that at one point there was a tech inspection that took place prior to the beginning of a rallyx event - I think back when they were taking place in the pit.  It was a basic check - battery bolted down, seats secure, that kind of thing...  It's not much - but it kept people accountable to at least some kind of standard.  If inspections were to be brought back you would have to have  clearly stated/specific expectations at to what is and isn't acceptable in terms of car condition posted prior to the event.  I think having a basic tech prior to the event is a responsible thing for the club to do.  I might even be willing...

WWW   IP Logged
Dweeb
YaBB Newbies

Reply #29 - 02/16/11 at 23:46:06

^^ correct, we used to have tech inspection when we ran the pit..... ahhhh , good old pit!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print