Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Marshal Recruitment for LHFR 2011 (Read 1778 times)
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Marshal Recruitment for LHFR 2011
03/18/11 at 09:43:43

Hi All,

Let me first say that the club and competitors thank you for your previous support and hope that you can attend again this year. Without dozens of helpful people donating their time and experience, rally sport would not exist. Volunteers in rally outnumber competitors, organizers, and usually spectators too. There may not be many sporting activities for which this is the case. As I have said before in e-mails and messages such as this, it's amazing what gets done just because a bunch of interested people want to get it done.

MCO is again hosting the LHFR for 2011 on May 6 and 7, with Saturday May 7 being the day of competition for which we will need the most volunteers. Jane Laan is this year's organizer and I am the Chief Control Marshal, the committee job I held in 2009, the first year of the rally. The rally is again part of the Ontario Performance Rally Championship calendar, the 2nd event of 2011. The overall format of the rally is similar to previous years, with some schedule changes that will be explained in upcoming e-mails.

The web site for 2011 is up at "LHFR.CA", so take a look at the information about the rally there, and if you decide to help at the event, you will find a volunteer registration form on the "Workers" section of the site. We will be giving volunteers a T-shirt (provide size when you register) and a meal after the rally as our way of saying thanks.

I won't go into details of the rally in this message. But we will need volunteers for the usual assortment of rally jobs, timing marshals, lots of HAM radio operators, people to help at HQ and spectator areas, etc. In the next few weeks, we will be releasing a couple of YouTube videos on marshalling at start and finish controls, as a way to show people who have never done it before what is involved. We need to train many more people in those functions.

If you happen to know anyone else, friends, relatives, colleagues, that might also be interested in the rally, feel free to forward this information to them.

That's all for now, and thank you.

IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Marshal Recruitment for LHFR 2011
Reply #1 - 04/13/11 at 19:16:59

An update....

Hi All,

I just wanted to give you an update on the status, with about 4 weeks to go before the rally.

As you may have already seen on the LHFR website, some competitors have already registered to compete. As in past years, we expect to get close to if not exceed our maximum entry. This year, we've set up the schedule to handle 30 entries, up from 25 of last year.

The final preparations are under way with finishing touches being made to the instruction route book, which will be green-crewed in the coming weeks. The organizer has driven the road recently, and although it was still covered in snow in shady spots, an AWD vehicle could get through and the reports are that the road is mostly in good shape. If some of you were not aware, the section of the road north of Gemmills is not maintained in winter.

As of today, we have 47 registered volunteers. From all of us on the organizing committee, a big thank you. As most of you are aware, the Lavant Mill road, requires a lot of volunteers because of the large number of trails and cottages that need to be supervised during the rally. In the first two years, we were very lucky in recruiting all the help that we needed, and this year is coming along very well. We still need 20-25 more workers, especially a few more HAM radio operators, you can never have enough radios.

Also this year, we have a specific target in that we would like to overstaff the stage ends, i.e., we want more start and finish marshals than we really "need". The Ontario rally governing body, Rallysport Ontario, has purchased an electronic timing control system that it plans to use at future rallies. Before widespread use of the system, however, they would like to test the new system in parallel with traditional timing methods at a couple of events. So what we would like to do is run parallel timing control procedures at each stage end, both at starts and finishes. This is in part to determine best practices with the new equipment, but is also a way of training stage end marshals in using the new system. The plan would be that the workers at the stage ends would swap roles from stage to stage, sometimes using the new system, and sometimes the old.

We are currently looking into possibly holding an on-site demonstration to interested marshals on the Friday evening before the rally, and I will keep you posted about that. If you are particularly interested in attending that, let me know by e-mail, and we'll gauge the interest. We need some personnel there Friday anyway to prep and tape the road, and supervise Friday evening recce. If you're interested in helping with any of those things, let me know.

That's all the news for now, I'll be e-mailing you again shortly with more details about roles and specific needs that need to be filled, as we being to allocate workers to tasks.

Thanks again,

IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Marshal Recruitment for LHFR 2011
Reply #2 - 04/18/11 at 17:19:28

In conjunction with the LHFR, we have prepared a couple of rally marshal training videos and the links are now up on the worker section of the LHFR web site: http://lhfr.ca/workers.php

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print