Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting started with rally? (Read 3641 times)
Ehlectric
YaBB Newbies

Getting started with rally?
04/19/11 at 21:42:53

Hey everyone, I've been interested in motorsports all my life and have no made my way into rally. This seems feasible and something I could do.

So here's a couple questions from the new guy.
1. Where is the best place to go and practice/ learn?
2. What car should I be looking to purchase?
3. Manual transmission, but do I need a 6 speed?

I've had prior racing experience on tracks with my friends old Honda Prelude mainly at Mosport.

I've been looking at getting an 02 Acura RSX, a 02 Subaru Impreza and a 98 Honda Prelude.

Is there a specific car that would preform the best and general type?

Thanks everyone!

IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Re: Getting started with rally?
Reply #1 - 04/20/11 at 08:45:51

I'm sure everyone else will chime in, but to get started in rallying, my best advice would be to:

- Volunteer at a performance rally, or try and get on a service crew. You can learn tons by helping out and seeing what works and what doesn't. Lanark Highlands Forest Rally is coming up very soon (i.e. 2 weeks), http://www.lhfr.ca and volunteers are always needed!
- Do some TSD (Time Speed Distance) rallies. These are legal speed rallies done on open public roads, but you learn almost all the timing rules that are used in performance rallies as well. You'll learn how the rules of rallying go, how to deal with pressure situations, etc. There's a sticky at the top of the forum for the MLRC Mini-Rallies.
- When you have a hankering for driving hard, try a RallyX. These are low speed events usually held in Bancroft, Ontario, but they are MUCH lower prep than a performance rally. Basically get an extra set of tires (gravels preferred, but winters + tubes can be used too. You can usually get used gravels for cheap) and maybe a skidplate and go at it. MLRC puts on RallyXes as well, there should be a sticky at the top.

If you're still hanging in there, you may want to try co-driving as it's a LOT cheaper than driving. And you get all the speed thrills as well Smiley

I wouldn't recommend any particular car before you do some of the above to see what works and what doesn't, but IMHO, RSX no, Prelude no, Impreza maybe. One thing you'll have recommended is that you buy (not build) your first rally car, and I firmly believe that + 2WD. Bad things can happen, and you must be prepared to walk away from a car if you have to. Plus, most rally cars are sold for far less than their build cost.

IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #2 - 04/20/11 at 14:38:45

BTW - if you decide to ignore Alexei's advice and build your own car, or if you're looking to buy a pre-prepped car that you're going to modify, be sure read through the rulebook (http://www.carsrally.ca/CARSRally/Default.aspx?tabid=92), especially the vehicle preparation and class rules, before you start any work or put cash down.

Some modifications (e.g. putting a six-speed in a car that didn't come with it) will push you out of Production into one of the open classes.  Other modifications (e.g. running without a catalytic converter) aren't allowed in any class.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark-7

Reply #3 - 04/26/11 at 21:07:26

Feel free to give me a call.  Due to work concerns I'm on a temporary hiatus from rally.  I have learned many lessons that some you have to learn yourself and others that should be avoided at all costs.

Mark

IP Logged
mo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 06/27/11 at 10:48:47

I did a charity rally in Orangeville this weekend and am interested in finding similar events. I think they are called navigational rallys. Clues to find landmarks etc. Where do I look for something like this. We own a vintage car as well.

IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #5 - 06/27/11 at 11:22:24

mo wrote on 06/27/11 at 10:48:47:
I did a charity rally in Orangeville this weekend and am interested in finding similar events. I think they are called navigational rallys. Clues to find landmarks etc. Where do I look for something like this. We own a vintage car as well.

Hi, mo.

There are many navigational rallies in Ontario.  Dates and locations for most events in Ontario can be found on the Rallysport Ontario events calendar: http://www.rallysport.on.ca/index.php?fuseaction=site.details&id=518

This calendar includes dates for ORRC events (our provincial navigational rally championship), MLRC mini-rallies (club-level rallies generally near the GTA), and KWRC SNATR (Saturday Night at the Rallies) events (club-level rallies in/near Kitchener-Waterloo)

Also potentially of interest, MCO runs their club-level Open Road Rally Series from various locations around Ottawa: http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=icalrepeat.detail&evid=...

In terms of resources about how rallies work, the Navigational Rally Manual is an excellent summary of what you need to know as a new team: http://www.mco.org/cms/attachments/052_Navigational-Rally-Manual.ppt (7 MB)

BTW - if you're interested in doing some rallying with your vintage car, you might want to check out the Lindsay to Brighton Run organized by the Little Britain Motor Company in October: http://www.littlebritainmotorcompany.info/index.php?id=events&event=4#4

I did it a few years ago with my uncle in his Triumph.  It's for classic cars only, and the organizers use an all-tarmac route that's chosen to be easy on the cars.  Entry is free, but it's limited to 50 cars.  The instructions are simple - it's more of a tour than a rally - but it's still a fun event and a great excuse to go for a drive in the country with a classic/vintage car.

WWW   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #6 - 06/28/11 at 11:31:57

Jeff, an update about the MCO Open Road Rally series: Unfortunately, because of dwindling entries, we have cancelled the June and July events.

The next one will be the November 5 ORRC out of Perth, which is always popular and well-attended.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print