Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Apparently, 3" does make a difference (Read 4220 times)
Bruce L

Apparently, 3" does make a difference
05/01/11 at 19:35:05

I can't remember ever having to change a flat tire, but it happened today.

Yesterday, we were in the Spring Runoff Rally in Hastings, organized by Louis Cabardos and PMSC, and afterwards, we went to Bobcaygeon to stay with the mother-in-law. This morning I discovered the flat (a nail). I swapped the Hakka out for a no-name snow tire I had in the trunk. No problem.
We headed home to Georgetwon. Jane noticed the smell first, after we had been on the 407 for a bit. I smelled it as well, and pulled over to check. Definite oil smell, but nothing out of the ordinary.
But then the car started a little bob to one side every once in a while. Hmm, it's windy, but not that windy.
Then the twitch became regular (like the back end stepping out a little), and I started thinking about tire sizes. I exited the 407 at Goreway.
Noticeable smell as well when we stopped. And as we neared home, I think I was hearing a whine (sort of) as well.

I've swapped the tires over to the Bridgestones as I had been planning to do after the rally anyways.

Hakka circumference - 79", no-name circumference - 76".
So, have I fried the rear diff?

Bruce

The Car Zero Report
An irregular newsletter about Rally in Ontario
http://eepurl.com/LK6AD
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Re: Apparently, 3" does make a difference
Reply #1 - 05/02/11 at 00:38:04

It's possible that it's fried.  I'm sure there's something more scientific, but the crude test I was given:

-  Put one rear wheel on gravel, one on pavement
-  Launch hard
-  Check to make sure there's tire marks on the pavement.  If so, your diff is working at least somewhat

If your diff does appear to be okay, sounds like you'll need some fresh fluid.

Stephen

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #2 - 05/02/11 at 07:00:48

I think your centre diff may be gone as well....sorry to say Bruce, what happens when you turn a tight circle in a parking lot?

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #3 - 05/02/11 at 09:30:31

No bad behaviour from the car today on the way to work (the Bridgestones are so nice after the snows).

I assume I should be trying the tight circle thing when the pavement's dry, correct?
What should I expect if the diff is not functioning properly - a hopping as the wheel skips? a noise?

The Car Zero Report
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #4 - 05/02/11 at 09:52:35

When my centre diff was going in my RS it felt like it was getting tighter and tighter (like a rally diff) so when turning into parking spots i could feel the diff slowing the car down as it didnt want to turn

I assume both the rear and centre should behave the same as they are both Viscous LSD units

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #5 - 05/02/11 at 21:02:59

Maybe I got lucky.

I did the tight circle, both ways - no indication of distress from the drivetrain. No noise, no binding, no twitching on the highway. I'll be changing the fluid in both diffs, though.

The Car Zero Report
  IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #6 - 05/23/11 at 16:03:24

Or maybe I didn't get lucky. It lasted 4 days before it went. I was backing into the driveway and it was as if I had backed into something. I parked it for the weekend (Lanark), then checked it that Sunday. An ominous clicking told me to park it.
Between rain, work, more rain, cutting the grass when it stopped raining, and other stuff, I worked away at getting to the centre diff. It's always the little things that hold you up - inaccessible rusty exhaust bolts for one. I drained the oil and found a small piece of a gear tooth on the magnetic plug - not good. Yesterday, I finally cracked the extension off the back of the transfer case and half of this ring that's on the big end of the diff fell out. The rest of the ring was chopped up into nice kernel sized pieces.

A couple of bearings on the drive and driven shafts are shot as well. Transfer shaft gear teeth are all good, so the piece came from the tranny, I guess.

I still have the original RS diff to put back in (it was a WRX diff that I fried), and I'll have to see Dan for some bearings or complete transfer shafts.
I intend to pull apart the diff, just to see what it's like, and I'll post photos if anyone's interested.

The Car Zero Report
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 05/23/11 at 19:57:02

That's really nasty looking.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #8 - 05/23/11 at 23:40:05

It be interested to see since I think my diff is in the process of doing the same thing.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print