Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Black Bear Rally Post-Rally Comments (Read 5755 times)
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Black Bear Rally Post-Rally Comments
06/13/11 at 06:32:44

Yesterday I sent out an email directly to all Can-Jam Motorsports Black Bear Rally volunteers thanking them for the excellent job they did to produce a good competition that ran flawlessly for the competitors.

A behind-the-scenes note for everyone - the severe storm that went through the area last Wednesday wreaked havoc on our stages, leaving about 50 trees either blocking or partially blocking the roads. In addition there was a huge washout at one point on the Mayo Lake Rd just N of Qwirk Rd. where a beaver dam burst and the entire pond rushed madly down the hill, washing away most of the road. A group of about 15 dedicated volunteers worked very hard on Friday to get all of that fixed up just barely in time for Recce on Friday evening.

All stages were scored successfully with the new RSO electronic timing system with times to the 1/10th of a second. We are still learning the equipment and there are some bugs to work out, but the basics are in place. Once again it is clear that having the much increased accuracy of timing is critical, as the difference between 2nd and 3rd place was less than one second.

If you wish to assist with paying for this equipment (RSO's largest purchase ever by a considerable margin), please consider 'purchasing' a clock. For a $100 donation, you can have your name or your company name on one of the clocks. We would also be thrilled to discuss larger donations. Thanks to Rallye Perce Neige, Kitchener Waterloo Rally Club and Maple Leaf Rally Club for large donations to date. To discuss making a donation, contact Peter Gulliver at treasurer@rallysport.on.ca

The competitors also deserve a nod of appreciation for putting on a great show in a truly sportsmanlike manner and with respect for the rally organizers and the general public. Special mention is deserved of Crazy Leo and Martin Brady, for setting the bar, but graciously leaving the Regional event awards to the Regional competitors.

Finally a huge vote of thanks to Donna Huber, the event Coordinator. Donna put in countless hours of work to make the event what it was. She also once again put her special personal touch on things, such as the special appreciation gift to Sloan Haywood, her young 'assistant'. Really neat touch, Donna, and so considerate.

To all involved with the rally in any way, we welcome your comments.

IP Logged
BTDT

Re: Black Bear Rally Post-Rally Comments
Reply #1 - 06/13/11 at 09:58:26

For anyone curious about the results:
1st Group 2 - Ian Topping & Jeff Secor
2nd Group 5 - Lance Webb 7 Maxime Vadeboncoeur
1st Group 5 - Martin Walter & Ferdinand Trauttmansdorff
2nd Prod GT - Alan Ryall and Bruce Leonard
1st Prod GT - Warren Haywood & Ray Felice
2nd Open - Nick Mathew & Kelly Mathew
1st Open - Nick Narini & Phil Narini
1st MLR Driver & Co-Driver - Nick Narini & Phil Narini
3rd Novice - Patrick Cyr & Angela Cosner
2nd Novice - Ian Topping & Jeff Secor
1st Novice - Lance Webb & Maxime Vadeboncoeur
1st Classic - Martin Walter & Ferdinand Trauttmansdorff
1st Overall - Nick Narini & Phil Narini - total time: 1:08:48.8
2nd Overall - Nick Mathew & Kelly Mathew - total time: 1:09:44.7 (difference from first - 0.55.9)
3rd Overall - Warren Haywood & Ray Felice - total time: 1:09.45.6 (difference from 2nd - 0.00.9
12 cars finished out of 18 starters
DNFs - Ryan Nichols & Dan Nichols (mechanical)
Donald Morton & Tracy Simpson (clutch)
Paul Hartl & Chuck Storry (overheating)
Michelle Laframboise & Amanda Tolhurst (fuel leak)
Peter Kocandrle & Alan Ockwell (transmission)
Sylvain Vincent & Dominique Cyr (damaged control arm)

IP Logged
jeffyS
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 06/14/11 at 08:19:18

Thank you to all the workers, organizers and sponsors for making This event run so smoothly.
This was the first CARS event for the driver/crew and the event made a high quality mark with all the team.

Jeffy
Codriver car 244

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #3 - 06/14/11 at 09:20:15

Seeing the 244 on the stages brought back pleasant memories of our Volvo-owning days, Jeff. Glad your driver and his crew enjoyed their first foray into Black Bear country.

I particularly hope your driver brings his teddy bears with him when he goes back to active duty on his ship . . . .  Smiley

Jeannie

IP Logged
BTDT

Reply #4 - 06/14/11 at 09:55:42

I personally want to thank all the workers that came out on the Black Bear work day, the day of the rally, our green crew Jaak and Jane Laan as well - without your help, the rally would not take place.
Donna

IP Logged
BTDT

Reply #5 - 06/15/11 at 09:19:47

Guys… and girls  thanks a lot for the kind words.

We had a blast and the most important was that no stages were cancelled. Well, and the stages were amazing!

Here’s what happened: on the second run through the Peanut, after hitting one of the rocks in the middle of the road, the steering got kinda jammed – almost locked. We kept in it (Martin yelling: “no heroics now!!!”), eventually I realized that the steering was ‘consistently’ broken, hence quite predictable… I was sure that we broke the steering rack. I’ve never broken the rack before, so I didn’t know how it should feel and there was no way to contact the team. So we decided to do a “fast recce” on the last stage.

Just before pulling into the time control, I pressed the button… and the Beast wouldn’t start! And the starter didn’t make proper sounds… We didn’t have much time to think: bump started the car in reverse (we were on the uphill), checked in and started the stage. The handling was consistent and I was trying to test how fast is too fast for Martin to make changes in the notes -Smiley I think we were about 2 seconds per km slower than our pace on those roads before the problem. And I was impressed to see that all the changes I wanted were put in the notes.

Now, when pulling into service, I stalled the car for real and we had to push the last 30 meters… but it was nice to finish after that little drama!

We have later found out that it wasn’t the steering rack… the impact with the rock broke starter’s mounts, the started fell down and got jammed between the gear box and the steering column… that’s why, on the jumps, the steering was working great!

I was surprised how warm a lot of people took our penalty decision (thanks!), but I have to say, that we function only as a team, and that was a team decision. I will never get tired of repeating, that without my racing family, Can-Jam Motorsports, I definitely wouldn’t have been racing and having all this fun!

Warm regards,
Leo

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print