Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2011 Black Bear Rally - Martin/Ferd Nissan 240SX i (Read 4659 times)
Ferdinand

2011 Black Bear Rally - Martin/Ferd Nissan 240SX i
06/20/11 at 21:13:34

First we have to pay homage to Ross Wood.  Without Ross' tireless efforts, rallying would probably grind to a standstill in Canada.

This awesome photo by Sylvain shows grandpa Ross hard at work hauling rocks from the Black Bear Rally roads.  I'm told that, shortly after this photo was snapped, Ross with just one hand twirled that boulder on the end of its chain over his head and launched the rock whistling into the next county.  Oh ya, and I've heard that Ross has a pet blue ox, named Babe...

photo by Sylvain Erickson

Despite the best efforts of Ross and his crew, portions of the awesome Birch Lake and Qwirk stages, and the infamous Peanut, were so rough that we actually bent a strut and seized it solid during recce!

Luckily Martin is adept at changing struts, as this isn't the first time this has happened.  It was a little awkward though as we had no service crew with us this weekend.

All that's required is a big hammer and vice-grips.

WWW   IP Logged
Ferdinand

Re: 2011 Black Bear Rally - Martin/Ferd Nissan 240SX i
Reply #1 - 06/20/11 at 21:14:17

Except for nearly losing all my teeth due to the seized strut, recce went well for us.  But it sure was dusty.

Check out the dust that accumulates on everything inside the car!

Somehow the dust and dirt seems to get inside the fuel tank too.  This is another recurring issue which eventually plugs the fuel filter causing fuel starvation to the engine.

Yup, sure enough, the little bugger fuel filter is clogged up again.

Recce finished, strut replaced, fuel filter issues resolved, some of the dust cleaned out of the car, we're good to go rallying the next day.

WWW   IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #2 - 06/20/11 at 21:15:16

We're really not confident on the Moccasin Lake stage, A1 & A2. The notes don't flow well for us, the road is really tricky and inconsistent, and we've just never felt comfortable on this stage.

I'm sure we could have been quicker, but we're not the slowest.

We were very disappointed to see Sylvain Vincent out on just the first stage.  We were looking forward to a good battle with him.  And Peter Kocandrle was forced to retire after these first two stages with a broken transmission.  So both of our two biggest competitors were eliminated after just the first couple of stages.

A1 - Moccasin Lake 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtaK4k1RW0
A2 - Moccasin Lake 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M3Bp4Xpklc

WWW   IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #3 - 06/20/11 at 21:16:15

After a service break we head out for the first loop of Birch Lake South, The Peanut, and Birch Lake North.

We had a flat tire on the Peanut A4. That sucked. We cut the sidewall open on the left rear tire at only about the halfway point through the rough portion of the Peanut with something like another 8km yet to go to the finish. We knew we'd lose a ton of time if we stopped to change it in the stage, so screw that let's keep going. The bugger is that, after we come out of the really rough stuff, the last 5+km is all REALLY fast wide open stuff, and we were worried the flat tire might come apart and then the flailing tread might tear off the suspension.

Martin pushed as hard as he dared and we made it to the finish of A4 choking on the tire smoke which filled the car.  With a time of 9:40.3 we were only 28.2 seconds slower than on our second pass on the Peanut A7 of 9:12.1.

A3 - Birch Lake South  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgWxePvmWio
A4 - The Peanut 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwK-uAOVaM
A5 - Birch Lake North http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6dMAflrbJQ

WWW   IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #4 - 06/20/11 at 21:18:02

Another service break, then the long loop of Qwirk South, The Peanut again, and Qwirk North.

These are the good ones!  Martin loves these long rough stages.

We had our only near-off of the rally on A6-Qwirk South.  At about 9:50 into the video, 17:53:24 on our clock display, I get thrown off by a questionable note.

"30 R6 short over Crest...", that's still obvious and okay.

"... into L6,  50 L6 over Jump continues over Crest"  I didn't see that first L6 at all.  That made me really slow for the L6/Jmp and the bit that continues over the crest.  I'm reading those way too late as we're already going over them.

Martin knows I'm off because at 10:10, or 17:53:45 on the clock, he prompts me to speed up with a "Crest?" that he sees coming up which I haven't called yet.

So the following "R4 long" after that catches him by surprise and we nearly fall off the road there.  Alan Ryall and Bruce Leonard, running a minute behind us on the road, later both commented on noticing the interesting lines we left in the gravel at that turn.

A6 - Qwirk South http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshc3W5BCH4

On the second running of the Peanut, Martin dialed the pace up another notch.  At 3:57 into the video, 18:23:16 on the clock, we come to a "L6+/Cr ruf down 200".  The road barely turns left a tiny bit over that crest, but because the road drops steep downhill for a long way after that crest, it's completely blind when approaching the crest.  We usually, but not this time, go a bit more carefully over that crest, especially since at the bottom of the following rough downhill section is where the logging operations stack piles of logs on either side of the road.

This time Martin hardly lifted at all!  I was in the middle of turning the page in my notes as the car got light over the crest and then came down HARD into the downhill rough stuff.  That kinda surprised me, eh.

A7 - The Peanut 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAgtgxWJCek

Finally everything clicked perfectly on the the last stage A8 - Qwirk North.  We absolutely scorched through that stage!  We were both full-on confident in the way this one flowed.

Sadly the pounding delivered to the car managed to knock the connection loose betweent the bulletcam and the video recorder.  We lost video for the last minute of the stage.  But the audio recording is still good.

Listen to this one and you can tell we were feeling pretty pleased with our performance at the end of this stage!

A8 - Qwirk North  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPx8sKJ9hY

WWW   IP Logged
Bruce VA3BRS
YaBB Moderator

Scarborough
Reply #5 - 06/21/11 at 19:33:39

How did you add the pictures to the forum.

IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #6 - 06/22/11 at 08:31:31

Bruce VA3BRS wrote on 06/21/11 at 19:33:39:
How did you add the pictures to the forum.

Upload the photo to an online account like Photobucket.  Then paste the URL to the photo between 'img' tags like this, example for the photo of Ross.

Code:
 [img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/BmX5S/BBR%202011/RossWood.jpg[/img] 

WWW   IP Logged
Bruce VA3BRS
YaBB Moderator

Scarborough
Reply #7 - 06/22/11 at 20:21:24

This is what I was trying to add since the pics go with the car.

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #8 - 06/23/11 at 09:15:08

I have to jump in here so that Sylvain gets credit, too!

Jim was helping with road work on Friday and Saturday, and Ross had some great stories about huge rocks that weren't about to defeat Sylvain.

I think Ross and Sylvain deserve huge credit!! Without their efforts, it's safe to assume that more cars would have suffered damaged bits and pieces.

The road crew rocks! (pun intended)

Jeannie

IP Logged
jimmy
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #9 - 06/23/11 at 13:46:52

Why did I think of Sisyphus when I saw that first picture of Ross?

This just reinforces that..................

ymmv

Jeannie VE3JNE wrote on 06/23/11 at 09:15:08:
I have to jump in here so that Sylvain gets credit, too!

Jim was helping with road work on Friday and Saturday, and Ross had some great stories about huge rocks that weren't about to defeat Sylvain.

I think Ross and Sylvain deserve huge credit!! Without their efforts, it's safe to assume that more cars would have suffered damaged bits and pieces.

The road crew rocks! (pun intended)

Jeannie

press on,

just a poor, dumb, Michigan navie
KC8YHT
jimmy
  IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #10 - 06/23/11 at 20:42:26

Bruce VA3BRS wrote on 06/22/11 at 20:21:24:
This is what I was trying to add since the pics go with the car.

Wow!

Next time I'll make sure to keep my window closed.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print