Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Towing package opinions needed (Read 5143 times)
Alexei S

I hate trees

Towing package opinions needed
06/21/11 at 21:07:49

Unfortunately my tow is not available for basically the rest of the summer, and I'm getting the itch again. I'd like to make it to GCFR if I can, but I think at this point I need to get a tow package of my own.

I'm sure tons of people here have experience on what works and what doesn't, but basically:
- I'm on a tight budget still unfortunately. So I'm probably looking at 8 year old + vehicles at a minimum.
- I think I want to start off with a car dolly, but hopefully get a vehicle that could maybe handle a full trailer in the future. The Swift is fairly light.
- Pickup truck or SUV is the preferred option. I don't have to worry about driving it to work/gas, I take the TTC every day. And my wife has a fuel efficient car.
- I would like to be able to recce with it if I can.

So at this point, I guess an SUV is the option I'm leaning towards or a 4x4 pickup.

I started by searching Kijiji for 1K to 6K SUVs/pickups, and my oh my there are a lot of decent options out there. Can anyone recommend something that stands out?

My immediate thoughts for SUVs:
- Nissan XTerra
- Ford Explorer (I'd rather not have such a big SUV, but they're everywhere though)
- Jeep Cherokee 4.0L

Pickup thoughts:
- Ford F-150, they seem to be everywhere
- Ford Ranger, a bit small, can it handle a dolly? A full trailer?
- Dodge Dakota, again, is it big enough?

If a pickup truck is the better option, then renting a car for recce may be a possibility. I've inquired with a few teams about possibly sharing a tow, but that hasn't worked out so far.

Can anyone give a bit of help here on what may be best? Are there any options I'm missing?

TIA!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Bruce VA3BRS
YaBB Moderator

Scarborough
Re: Towing package opinions needed
Reply #1 - 06/21/11 at 22:02:22

[Pickup thoughts:
- Ford F-150, they seem to be everywhere

ALexei, the only thing you need to watch with the ford F150 that I know of is if you get one from 2002 and on and it has high milage on it. I beleive that the drive shaft has a non serviceable hanger bearring on it  Sad,and you can only buy a replacement shaft from Ford for about 1400 dollars or I can have a serviceable one made for you at work for about 800 dollars.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #2 - 06/21/11 at 22:09:48

Andrew my service guy tows his in-progress race car with an XTerra without issue. I know he bought it used, as he was in largely the same boat you are, couldn't really afford to drive a larger truck full time, etc. AFAIK he's been quite happy with it.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #3 - 06/21/11 at 22:15:20

1998-2001 Ford Exploder - ask me I own one!

They are not that big. Avoid the 2002-up models - major transmission problems are common.

Mine has 205K on it. Find a V8 model for best towing. Mine has the 4.0 SOHC and I used to tow a 5000 lb. boat. The SOHC motors can get "The Death Rattle". It is from the timing chain tensioners. The rear one requires you to pull the motor to change it.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Justadrive
YaBB Newbies

Burlington
Reply #4 - 06/22/11 at 06:54:40

I towed a 2300 lb car on a large dolly behind a FWD V6 escape. Now I do not recommend a FWD V6 - go 4WD. You will have decent power and reliability. It is also a decent vehicle as a daily driver. It can tow 3500lbs and there are class 3 hitches made by everyone.

As a DD it will use less fuel bay far over typical "framed" SUV's like the Explorer and Cherokee.

Does it have their torque and HP? No. but pulling only 3000lbs max you will make it up any hill.

Just a thought....  Smiley

Jeff Lehmann

2016 Optima LX ECO TURBO
2015 Soul SXL
2010 Forte Koup SX - Track
  IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #5 - 06/22/11 at 08:22:27

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions so far guys. It's greatly appreciated  Smiley

IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #6 - 06/22/11 at 11:04:54

Alexei, we are using a GMC Safari van... old school 1999 I think...  it is built on the truck platform so it's towing capacity is about 5500lbs...  We currently tow the car and use a U-Haul trailer which is fairly heavy (2000lbs itself) plus have the van packed with gear (tires, tools, parts) and it does an ok job...

We have had some issue with it but the good thing is they made about 100 million of them and most of those reside rusting on the side of roads or junk yards so parts are easy enough to find... The one thing I would recommend which made a huge difference was we had a 4th leaf spring put in the back... sits a little high unloaded but hauls so much better... Plus they tend to be cheap! we found ours for about $500..

We have done recce with it and will likely again (did Pines Recce last year)... They do seem to have used special care and design to make the seats as ergonomically uncomfortable as possible I will warn you...

D.

WWW   IP Logged
Phil Jeffries
YaBB Moderator

'90 Talon TSi

Ontario
Reply #7 - 06/22/11 at 16:01:47

I will also recommend an Astro/Safari van.

I towed my Talon + 8 wheels/tires + gas + generator on a 2000lb trailer for 5 years without incident1. Plus had the van loaded with all the rest of the gear. Likely close to 11,000lbs between the van and trailer.

The only modifications to the van were an oil cooler (about $100 plus install) and monroe shocks that you can fill with air in the back. 50 psi for normal driving, 120 for hauling. I think they were about $200 for the pair.

When you get a trailer get brakes on BOTH axles and a weight-distributing hitch. I could cruise at 120 without any sway and be able to safely slow it down in a hurry if I had to.

I would usually average around 13.5 l/100km towing. Not great, but better than just about anything else you can tow with.

I got mine up to 400,000 km on the original AWD drivetrain. If you were asking a year ago I could have given it to you!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
1 Okay, I had a couple flat tires and almost died once of heat exhaustion because the a/c didn't work

IP Logged
big_Ian

euro trash racing

Reply #8 - 06/23/11 at 09:03:18

I have a 02 chevy van with hitch for 3500 We have used it off and on for a few years but isint really needed ,\Used for black rollaway ,and remote services,and sprongles have a trailer for 1200 or so

as long as you maintain both they will never be worth any less
that is the BEST pkg.....unless you wanna buy a 40 ft motorhome with a brand new $9200 turbo

call if ya want
613 328 6253
you can try it out for GCFR
Ian

I might be having too much fun....
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 06/25/11 at 06:13:13

All of the advice given above seems wise. I would favour the Chevy Astro van as an inexpensive, strong and reliable option. Parts are available everywhere and they have lots of room. Do not even consider any other mini van.

My suggestion is to find a good used trailer, rather than a dolly. It can be fairly lightweight, if towing only a rally car.

If you get into more serious towing you want to be looking into a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel pickup, but they cost considerably more to buy and to operate.

IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #10 - 06/26/11 at 22:24:40

I think I'm going to start the search for an Astro/Safari, as they do appear to be a great option.

The trailer, I wish I could make that work, but I'm on thin ice with the wife as it is asking to buy another vehicle to tow with. I'm not sure how she'd react to both a van and a trailer permanently in the driveway  Grin

IP Logged
ErikO
YaBB Newbies

Dork.

Reply #11 - 06/27/11 at 08:02:28

Hey Alexei

Andrew Smith may be someone you'd want to contact about towing options, as he also has a Swift and uses a car dolly. He has a 2005ish GM minivan with the towing package (it can tow 4000lb I think). He seems content with its abilities, and they can be found pretty cheap.

He goes to most of the Rallycrosses I think, so you can ask him there. Otherwise, send me an email and I'll put you in touch with him.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print