Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chasing the dust in the high desert (Read 2183 times)
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Chasing the dust in the high desert
07/20/11 at 13:41:02

Mods, please remove if it does not belong here. However, since I was proudly wearing a suit with MLRC logo on it, I thought I might post my story from my participation in the last weekend's USA 500 here.  Wink

Here is the link:
http://www.desertdingo.com/blog/2011/07/20/vorra-usa-500-race-recap/

« Last Edit: 07/21/11 at 07:57:50 by overthehill »  

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Re: Chasing the dust in the high desert
Reply #1 - 07/20/11 at 18:28:18

Paul i do not care if you posted that in the want ads. That is a great story and a spectacular finish.

Congrats.

Derek

WWW   IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #2 - 07/21/11 at 07:51:00

Awesome story, and a great read Smiley

How does the co-driving work in these events? I'm guessing it's too long to have notes, so do you just use a GPS and such to give a rough idea of where you're going? Is there any warning about jumps and bad corners?

IP Logged
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/21/11 at 08:10:16

The course is on the GPS (ours did not work) and you can pre-run (we did not have time), but no notes are created and then read back .  Smiley The co-driver is basically a second set of eyes.

So if you do not have GPS and do not  pre-run you drive according to what you can see and  according to the arrows that point you where to turn. SOMETIMES there are arrows for a sharp corner with a big drop off on the outside, sometimes there is a caution sign (usually on a huge rock - it does not make much sense to me, because I saw the huge rock before seeing the caution sign on it).

The crests are interesting. I was scolded by Crusty for going too fast over the crests. So I slowed down. About 5 miles later I came over a (no caution) crest and faced a 50-60 feet of a cliff with such a slope I was afraid the car might roll over its front  Shocked. Fun.

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print