Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How does insurance work... does it? (Read 8237 times)
Juggernaut Motorsports
YaBB Newbies

Re: How does insurance work... does it?
Reply #15 - 09/02/11 at 13:44:49

Hey being an active rally driver like Bryce above, I'll also chime in.

Facility insurance is the way to go not because of increased coverage but because of the transparency of the whole deal. My rally car is insured as it sits as a race car.

They will require an official appraisal from a registered/licensed appraiser which is around $200. This will document the car in multiple photos with all modifications included. That package will then get sent to your company as well as to yourself.

Then they will charge you roughly twice what you pay for your street car assuming you have zero tickets/violations. For myself personally I pay somewhat less than double.

There's no other way to guarantee insurance coverage in the result of an incident on transit. Otherwise you run the risk of them showing up and saying well this is a race car and this is not the car we insured based on what was disclosed to us. As for what it would do to the sport...that's another discussion.

That's my understanding of it at least. I've been rallying guilt free from the get go and plan to keep it that way.

IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Re: How does insurance work... does it?
Reply #16 - 09/05/11 at 06:41:11

I've always found this side of motor sports competition fascinating. And I've always wondered, since insurance rates are based (partly) on statistical experience, what is the real-world experience of people engaged in motor sports?

Do they make more claims? Do they cost the insurance companies more money? Is the rate structure based on facts? I used to know insurance industry insiders but don't anymore, so can't answer the questions myself. You'd think that by now, someone somewhere would have gotten hold of real data and analyzed it.

It's always struck me as ironic to hear about all these insurance complications and then see Formula One cars sponsored by insurance companies.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print