Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RallyX newbie questions (Read 5751 times)
Taras
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
RallyX newbie questions
09/23/11 at 17:58:50

How rough is the track?  Any big potholes that could bend a rim?  

What tire pressure should I be running on?  I have rally tires on aluminum rims, and no tubes.  Tire size: 205/65/15, the car weights around 3200lbs

Thanks!

IP Logged
2000 Impreza

Re: RallyX newbie questions
Reply #1 - 09/23/11 at 18:14:55

Depends on the weather.  If its rainy and wet then there are usually some really big ruts showing up on the runs later in the day.  You can usually take a safe line and avoid most of the bad stuff or you can charge right at em...
(I bent two rims at one event but that was because I pulled the tires off the bead and drove on the flat)

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #2 - 09/23/11 at 19:56:31

With rally tires and the speeds that you get on the course, I think you are unlikely to bend a rim.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
GuyLePop

Reply #3 - 09/23/11 at 23:00:37

Do you have winter rims and tires that you could use to get you home, just in that very rare chance that you bend a rim?  

I have not seen much of the course other than videos, but I don't think there are many potholes, but ruts are possible.

VA3GUB
Rally Co-Driver
RallyCross
  IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #4 - 09/24/11 at 09:07:09

My suggestion would be to drive up on your summer tires, and bring your winter tires, if you have them on a separate set of rims and put on your winter tires before the race, and then just change them after the race.

In the summer, your biggest concern would be just getting dirt in the tires, not bending the rims. Bending a rim is  more likely a winter rally-x issue, with the shelves of ice and such, but its still a possibility in the summer. If there are any serious issues with the course, the MLRC crew does a good job of smoothing most things out.

I've raced my daily driver for the past 3 years and you just have to keep it in the back of your mind that you'll be driving that car back home at the end of the day, so just take the safer lines when your driving, or slow down a bit and you'll be fine.

Tim

Tim
  IP Logged
Taras
YaBB Newbies

Toronto
Reply #5 - 09/24/11 at 19:13:36

Thanks for the tips.

I'm bringing a set of summer tires just in case.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print