1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Terra Trip
Reply #1 - 10/12/11 at 14:45:17

Donnie, just my opinion, but get a cheap little handheld GPS and ziptie it to the cage. Odo, maps, average/max speed logs, cheaper and more reliable than a Terra.

All that said, in the 16 performance rallies I've run either as a driver or codriver, I've NEVER had a rally odo and I've never felt I needed it. With notes now, you shouldn't really need it on stage, and with all the recce I've found I'm so used to the rally areas that I don't worry much about getting lost on transits. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Ryan

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #2 - 10/12/11 at 21:20:33

Just to add to this, they don't even keep good time. Or at least Paul's didn't. In the first rally I ever co-drove, the Terra Trip was off by 5 seconds after 3 stages Sad

If you do go the handheld zip-tied route, be sure that the co-driver can see it on stage and reset it if needed on transits.

IP Logged
rallytowin
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 11/06/11 at 18:35:53

If you are still interested I have 202 plus for sale, comes complete with the probe and manual

IP Logged
jimmy
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #4 - 11/07/11 at 09:15:15

Disagree.

I just did a brand new regional event last weekend (Perryville). No notes, no recce. I'd never been in the area.

A GPS would have worked, but I felt more comfortable with an odo (and yes, it was a terribletrip).

There are times when an actual overall and/or incremental mileage (KM) might keep you on course (I'm thinking of 100AW at night, transit, lots of choices for side roads to turn, and no road signs).

Yes, I've done events with absolutely no computer, no car odo, no speedo - but I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, for the newbie - it is not the way to learn...........

And, for those who suggest getting an APP for your cell - we rally in lots of BFE places with no cell coverage.

RyanHuber wrote on 10/12/11 at 14:45:17:
Donnie, just my opinion, but get a cheap little handheld GPS and ziptie it to the cage. Odo, maps, average/max speed logs, cheaper and more reliable than a Terra.

All that said, in the 16 performance rallies I've run either as a driver or codriver, I've NEVER had a rally odo and I've never felt I needed it. With notes now, you shouldn't really need it on stage, and with all the recce I've found I'm so used to the rally areas that I don't worry much about getting lost on transits. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Ryan

press on,

just a poor, dumb, Michigan navie
KC8YHT
jimmy
  IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #5 - 11/07/11 at 13:10:58

jimmy wrote on 11/07/11 at 09:15:15:
And, for those who suggest getting an APP for your cell - we rally in lots of BFE places with no cell coverage.

Just thought I'd mention that you don't need cell reception for apps to run. With most smart phones, they have GPS built in, so you don't have to rely on cell service.

If I'm out exploring and want to track my route, I put my phone into airplane mode, and just enable the GPS, to save battery life.

Tim
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print