HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rallycross Question (Read 3747 times)
Quinn
YaBB Newbies

Rallycross Question
11/02/11 at 19:09:34

If somebody could please assist me with a few questions it would be much appreciated.

I am interested in doing rallycross in 2012 and am looking at a reasonably priced used car for it. My wife will not be happy with the loss of garage space.

A few questions"
- Do I need performance seat belts? or are the standard belts sufficiant?
- Do you as a competitor take two cars with you just in case the rallycross car breaks down? Do you drive your rallycross car to the event?
Insurance question - how do you insure the car? as a temp vehicle?

Oh ya, and is rallycross alot of fun? I have done solo racing before on pavement.

Thanks

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Re: Rallycross Question
Reply #1 - 11/02/11 at 20:04:39

1. Standard seat belts are fine.

2. I am one of the few that drive my car to the rally-X. I take a extra set of tires and swap them. Most people trailer their cars.

Downside - At the last rally-X of this year, I managed to "remove" my entire exhaust system downstream of the 1st cat on my Outback. The drive home (4 hrs) was LOUD! I should mention that I hit a big rock on one run and I think it smashed a pretty rusty flange. This seems to be the cause of the exhaust falling off. This type of situation is rare IMHO.

I was going to trailer my car, however the trailer I borrowed was not making me feel good in terms of safety and the load it put on my old Explorer, so I left it at home.

3. My car is fully licensed and insured. However that is not a requirement for rally-X as it is on private land. Car should be "road-worthy" - as in not falling apart.

4. Yes it is fun.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #2 - 11/02/11 at 20:09:27

A standard 3 point seat belt is sufficient.

All competitors differ on what they drive, and how they get that vehicle to the rally-x. I drive up my daily drive, and race it at the events. Other racers have purpose built cars that they tow back and forth. Its all really what fits in your budget. If you're racing your daily driver, you just have to keep it in the back of your mind on race day, that you're going to need to drive that car home, so not to push it to the full limit. This doesn't mean that you can't be competitive. With my daily driver, I've been Overall Class 4 Champion twice, and just came 2nd overall in class 4 this year.

Insurance...Well if you break something at the race, your insurance isn't going to pay for it Tongue I don't tell my insurance and realize that if something breaks, I'm paying for it.

Rallycross is A LOT of fun. Its not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoy it! You meet great people, its a really open sport and learn lots about vehicles from how to drive them to the limit, to how to fix em  Wink

Tim
  IP Logged
Quinn
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 11/06/11 at 08:28:34

Thanks for your helpful tips guys

I just purchased a 93 Honda Prelude which I will use for Rally-X Smiley. I hope it will be a decent car.

Does anybody know when the 2012 schedule will be announced?

Thanks

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 11/06/11 at 16:50:31

"oh and PS: Jan 22nd, Feb 26th, Jul 8th, Sep 23rd, Oct 21st "

This was from the wrap-up post of the 2011 season. Those would be the 2012 dates.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #5 - 11/09/11 at 13:38:01

Is the Feb. 26 date confirmed? I thought it was TBD, depending on when the OWR is held. Is there an update on this?

Jeannie

IP Logged
Quinn
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 11/18/11 at 15:16:27

Would anybody know if there are any regulation/class changes in the cards for next year 2012 RallyX, or are they staying the same? Going away in December and I will not be back until just before the 1st RallyX in Jan so limited time to prepare.

Cheers

Quinn

IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #7 - 11/18/11 at 15:25:28

I think there was a mention of some changes going on, but I don't think those will be announced till the AGM, which will probably be in early 2012.

Tim
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print