Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
does anybody practice at all outside of events? (Read 6770 times)
jesse j
YaBB Newbies

does anybody practice at all outside of events?
11/28/11 at 22:39:20

if so, where? around my area i dont know of any places to go that isnt on a city road, i dont want any trouble and i cant really practice at all because using those roads theres always that possibility of someone around the next corner, therefore i dont use them, ive thought of parking lots but most are in the town to much and somebody will likely call the cops, does anybody have any suggestions? i just want something where i can go around and practice cornering and just learn to drive a little better without putting anyone else in danger. i live in the fenelon falls area if that helps.

IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Re: does anybody practice at all outside of events?
Reply #1 - 11/29/11 at 10:49:42

There are two ways of practicing, for performance type rallying. If you want to learn rallying in general, TSDs are a good option.

- Rally-X. MLRC puts them on and it's a great way to get started. Low cost, low prep levels if you like. There should be winter ones starting up in February I think.
http://www.mlrc.ca/rallycross/

- Testing days, where a log booked rally car and a rally licensed driver can test on closed roads. These get posted once in a while and are usually 2 - 4 weeks before a rally.

Don't practice on public roads. You can endanger yourself and others as well as rallying in general.

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #2 - 11/29/11 at 11:29:17

What Alexei said -- especially the rallycrosses for more spirited driving. The MCO will also have a snowcross series if you are up to driving to Ottawa.

Also, because it can't be said often enough:
DO NOT PRACTICE ON PUBLIC ROADS!!!!

Jeannie

IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #3 - 11/29/11 at 13:02:16

I'm just going out on a limb and going to say that Jesse doesn't have a rally car, so can't do the Testing Days, and is looking for practice FOR the Rallycross events.

So really the best seat time that he could get, would be a winter lapping day. I've personally done winter lapping days at Cayuga(They are held once there's enough snow on the ground as I recall) and you can get an entire day out on the track, for a HUGE amount of practice and fun! It is much easier on the car as well, as the course is smooth(pavement under the packed snow), instead of bumpy dirt at the rallycross.

Don't be discouraged from coming out to the rallycross with little experience though. Most people get their experience at the rallycross events and there are usually a good handfull of people that come with little to no experience.

Tim

Tim
  IP Logged
jesse j
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 11/29/11 at 15:23:48

id just like to firstly point out that in my first post, i clearly clearly say i dont use public roads as i dont want to endanger others, thats the whole point of the topic in general. im aware of the danger, please dont keep repeating it, thank you. second, where are the winter lapping days? just cayuga? wheres that? any costs to be allowed in? where can i watch to see when they start?

and also, to do with the first part of this post, im not trying to be disrespectful im just simply asking as nice as i can to not have posts about not practicing on public roads. i really am trying to be as nice as possible and i feel that if im driving a car its a given to know better, i understand not everybody does but id like to let you know that i do and i kindly ask to not be reminded. please please please dont be upset by this.

IP Logged
jimmy
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #5 - 11/29/11 at 15:47:07

Jesse-

Thanks for "getting it". Unfortunately, not everyone does.

I have a sticky in my cube that says - "Quit Taking It Personally"  I invoke that a lot.

Have fun and welcome.

jesse j wrote on 11/29/11 at 15:23:48:
id just like to firstly point out that in my first post, i clearly clearly say i dont use public roads as i dont want to endanger others, thats the whole point of the topic in general. im aware of the danger, please dont keep repeating it, thank you. second, where are the winter lapping days? just cayuga? wheres that? any costs to be allowed in? where can i watch to see when they start?

and also, to do with the first part of this post, im not trying to be disrespectful im just simply asking as nice as i can to not have posts about not practicing on public roads. i really am trying to be as nice as possible and i feel that if im driving a car its a given to know better, i understand not everybody does but id like to let you know that i do and i kindly ask to not be reminded. please please please dont be upset by this.

press on,

just a poor, dumb, Michigan navie
KC8YHT
jimmy
  IP Logged
Quinn
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 11/29/11 at 16:09:00

This message is for Yopofun,

You mentioned Cayuga does lapping days.

I looked at their website and found that they provide winter driving lessons throughout the winter on their track... I may be more interested in winter driving un-lessons Wink
(unfortunately I do not have permission to post the link because I am a newbie) but you can find it on their website.
Do they allow you to just drive and have fun or do you have to go through the lessons?

Thanks

Quinn

IP Logged
jesse j
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 11/29/11 at 17:57:01

ooo good question Cheesy

IP Logged
Yopofun

Owen Sound
Reply #8 - 11/29/11 at 18:21:40

Hey Quinn,

The winter lapping day that I went in had the option for lessons, but was mostly just open track fun. You didn't have to take lessons unless you wanted to. As I recall, I think NV Auto sponsored the track for the day and then just charged everyone like 80 dollars or something for the day, which is a fantastic deal for an entire day out on a track. So I think its different then the "Advanced Driver Training Winter Program". I found out about through a post on Toronto Subaru Club forum back in the day...so its one of those things that once the snow start coming, keep an eye out for posts about it.

Tim

Tim
  IP Logged
jesse j
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 11/29/11 at 20:20:30

aww poop. 80 bucks is a good deal if i had the extra to spend. hate highschool. so darn expensive. im kinda just looking for an open area where i can setup some pylons or something and cruise around. 80 bucks is to much for me atm. i can barely afford the 50 for the rallycrosses.

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 11/29/11 at 20:50:42

Jesse, even though you don't have a caged rally car yet, I think that you would benefit from getting rides with people on a Test Day and I'm sure that drivers would be willing to give you a ride. I am working on details of a Winter Test Day now - probably mid January.

IP Logged
Quinn
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 11/29/11 at 21:52:31

Thanks for the info Tim! I saw some of the videos on youtube.... It looks like alot of fun. I will make it out to one this winter.

IP Logged
jesse j
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 11/29/11 at 22:45:01

riding in a caged car would be sweet, i would love to see how people drive, where can i find the details for the test days?

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #13 - 11/30/11 at 10:46:36

jesse j wrote on 11/29/11 at 22:45:01:
riding in a caged car would be sweet, i would love to see how people drive, where can i find the details for the test days?

Keep an eye on this forum for a posting when the details have been arranged.

Jeannie

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 11/30/11 at 17:14:33

Send me your email and I will add you to my group list  ross@tallpinesrally.com

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print