Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need some Advice / Help (Read 5190 times)
l8er
YaBB Newbies

Richmond Hill, ON
Need some Advice / Help
01/27/12 at 21:15:35

Hey guys ! I apologize if this thread doesn't not belong here dunno where i can post this.

So it has been my dream to do some sort of rally racing but i never had the luxury of be able to. I haven't even driven a manual car really. But i am trying to save up and buy a car and first learn manual cause im pretty sure you need to if i were ever to get into rallying.

I was wondering, how can i start to get into rally, understanding how everything is done, learning what to do and etc.

I live in Richmond Hill Ontario, dont think there's any rally racing going on here.

I really love driving and want to Rally so bad.

If someone could help me out that would be great.

Thanks

l8er 649883672   IP Logged
2000 Impreza

Re: Need some Advice / Help
Reply #1 - 01/27/12 at 21:28:13

You came to the right place for info.
Probably the best way to get a start into the sport would be to either come out to some of the Rally Cross events MLRC and CanJam put on or try your hand at some navigation rallys.  You can drive just about any car at the rally x events as long as its safe to drive and is not to loud.  Very minimal safty gear (motor cycle helmet will do)
Also they are always looking for people to help out at events which is a great way to learn how
things work in the world of rally.

http://www.mlrc.ca/rallycross/  Rally X info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ8umnY3MAo  Little Video from an old event another memeber on here made

http://www.rallysport.on.ca/  RSO

I started out using my street car to run in some of the rally cross events 2 years ago. (Its very relaxed and friendly events that are very low cost) Then I tried out a few nav rallys again with my street car. (Very confusing to me I am a driver not a navigator it turns out but was still alot of fun)  Just before the end of last year I finally stepped up to full on rally in a prepped car.  (Its the most fun I have ever had but it costs a fair bit of money and seems to take up alot of time)

IP Logged
2000 Impreza

Reply #2 - 01/27/12 at 21:28:53

Also I would suggest learning to drive a manual however there are a few automatics that show up the rally cross events that haul ass.

IP Logged
l8er
YaBB Newbies

Richmond Hill, ON
Reply #3 - 01/27/12 at 22:10:51

Thank you both for your answers!

Who can i contact to possibly volunteer or something?

Do I need any license for the navigation race?

Ill be learning to drive a manual car once i get a proper job and can afford a car  Smiley  Broke at the moment.

Are there any sites that sell used rally cars within ontario canada?

Are there any teachers or something that can help beginners?

I would love to sit in while someone is rallying that would be cool.

rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 01/29/12 at 23:58:35

First of all, what is your name?

A good way to learn about rallying before you compete is to volunteer as a worker at some rallies. We are looking for helpers at the Maple Leaf Winter Rally (MLWR), which will run in the Bancroft area overnight on the night of February 18-19. You can find details on this club website.

If you are interested in doing that, contact me (Ross) at ross at tallpinesrally dot com

IP Logged
jimmy
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #5 - 01/30/12 at 10:30:17

First - fill out your profile. Who are you? Where are you? Most of us don't bite.

Second - Many of us started out by crewing or working events. It helps you learn how things work. We can always use help.  Never hurts to get your ham license also.

Third - always remember to have fun!

press on,

just a poor, dumb, Michigan navie
KC8YHT
jimmy
  IP Logged
l8er
YaBB Newbies

Richmond Hill, ON
Reply #6 - 01/30/12 at 21:01:22

sorry just added some details to profile. Im 19 from Richmond Hill

i would like to help but im a complete "noob" with cars. Although i love cars n driving never really got into under the hood stuff.

I know how to change oil and change tires lol Wink

jimmy
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #7 - 01/31/12 at 09:27:19

When I first started, a friend asked me to come crew for him because I had the same kind of car that he was rallying.

I said - "what's a rally?"

My mechanical knowledge was not much - I told him I could change a tire. He said - "that's good enough". And thus it began.

That was 1974 Press On Regardless, an FIA year. We showed up and I fell in lust with a Lancia Stratos. The rest is history.

We all start as newbies...................

press on,

l8er wrote on 01/30/12 at 21:01:22:
sorry just added some details to profile. Im 19 from Richmond Hill

i would like to help but im a complete "noob" with cars. Although i love cars n driving never really got into under the hood stuff.

I know how to change oil and change tires lol Wink

just a poor, dumb, Michigan navie
KC8YHT
jimmy
  IP Logged
l8er
YaBB Newbies

Richmond Hill, ON
Reply #8 - 01/31/12 at 19:33:36

haha that's truly awesome. Wish i knew anyone remotely as interested in cars n racing as me =(

Anyone here looking for some noobie help?

2000 Impreza

Reply #9 - 01/31/12 at 23:48:27

If i were you I would really try to get my feet wet by hitting up some of the smaller events before you try to get into stage rally.  It costs a huge amount of money to put together even a modest regional season.  Buying the car, safety equipment, spares, race fuel, trailer, truck, feeding your crew, hotels, repairs, entry fees, license fees, tires etc...  Your looking at a pretty big investment.  
To give you some perspective I entered tall pines this year (my first stage event) and I broke down on the second stage and could not continue.  So for what ended up being about 20 minutes of racing I would say I spent about $1000-$1500 on entry fees, fuel for my rally car, fuel for hauling the car to the event, food, etc.  Plus that does not include the cost of actually fixing my car.  That was with allot of friends helping out with crewing and volunteering there time for free and me trying to do things as on the cheep as I could.  

Not to discourage you from trying to get into rally rather I am just recommending you get into the rally world however you can right now.  Weather it be through rally cross or navigational rally or volunteering at events.  There is no time like the present to get started and then you can start to work your way up.    

If you can ever find your way down to Bancroft for the rallyx I would happily give you a ride in my car and there are usually a few other people who would be happy to take you out for a lap.  Its not the same kind of speed as a stage event but its still a ton of fun.

Also I dont think anyone answered this but you dont need any special license to compete in nav rallys you just need a normal drivers license and a car fit for the road and your good to go.

Press on!

IP Logged
l8er
YaBB Newbies

Richmond Hill, ON
Reply #10 - 02/02/12 at 13:38:06

Thanks Impreza you had some valuable stuff to say.

I do understand that i cant just start "Stage Rallying" right away. I don't have the experience nor the money to do that.
But the small events would probably be better. Although i would like to see how everything works when driving.

I would love to take you up on the offer of letting me sit along while you drive. If can get a hold of you at one of these events at Bancroft.

Thanks

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print