HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
MLWR Chatter (Read 10389 times)
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

MLWR Chatter
01/29/12 at 17:11:07

I'm anxiously awaiting the start of this rally!!!  I have the first of what will probably be MANY questions....

... How will you do the start order this year?  Class E, I, then N and order of entry within that class?

Stephen

IP Logged
Bruce L

Re: MLWR Chatter
Reply #1 - 02/02/12 at 19:34:13

What will the start order be? Well, I'm open to suggestions, and good reasons to back your suggestion.

Have the novices go first, and let the experts deal with passing them?
Or have the novices last so as to not hold up the experts. But that will certainly spread out the field. And then, when novices come in to an end-of-leg, their break-time is shortened to bunch the field up again.

Of course, that's based on the assumption that they won't be able to match the CAS's. With weather like this, that may not be a problem. And with more and more of the roads now sprouting signage, speeds have been getting a little slower every year; that's just a fact of life now Sad. But that's another topic.

So - bring on the discussion.

Bruce
MLWR organizer

The Car Zero Report
An irregular newsletter about Rally in Ontario
http://eepurl.com/LK6AD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #2 - 02/02/12 at 20:15:27

I'll start wherever Wink

I'm bringing out the big guns and competing this year, in a Hyundai Accent with no lights or odo. Emilie and I are looking for a challenge, should be fun!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
SuzukiSwiftGT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/02/12 at 20:33:38

at last years MLWR, I was fairly far forward in the order and I found it stressful and annoying to be honest (not enough to take anything away from the experience though). I think I was 3rd on the road or something like that.

I always feel bad when I hold someone up. Plus, my guess-which-front-wheel-drive car was not quite cutting it on some of the longer hills and I know I really slowed down a subaru last year. The road was so narrow and there were no options for getting out of the way. Pulling over was not an option because of the overplow and hit or miss ditches. The result, they were stuck behind me twiddling their thumbs and I was stuck infront of them sweating bullets.

This year, I've got a limited slip diff that worked wonders for me in perth, not too mention more seat time and confidence (likely a dangerous thing, haha) so I'm not as worried about this situation repeating itself in the same manner.

Just thought I'd share my experience to help you make a decision. Honestly, I dont care which end of the pack I'm at. Its going to be a blast either way.

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #4 - 02/02/12 at 21:12:10

EIN, then random within the class is fairest, safest and easiest.  Granting run position choice by series points isn't a bad idea... rewards you for being a series regular and competing well.

Stephen

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #5 - 02/02/12 at 21:27:51

I'm the one who originally said put the novices first. From a worker standpoint it makes a big difference if you can keep the pack together, especially if you're trying hard to shuttle a minimum number of checkpoint crews to a maximum number of control locations.

Back in the days of 50-60 car fields it was less of a concern, as the control crew was going to be there for at least a couple hours anyway. Now, with 20-30 cars, it makes a big difference if the control has to wait out their full max late time or not, and max late on car 1 isn't much later than when you'd be expecting your last car running on time.

Also, these days the average speeds are so much lower (and you've got TAs), being held up by someone not making the pace is less of a concern IMO.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #6 - 02/03/12 at 19:06:41

It may be more difficult to administrate putting experts first with checkpoints staying open later, but on the other hand, your workers can open the next checkpoint later (later than ORRC requirements) because Experts won't be leaving CP's early and ignoring pauses.  Max late has already been shortened to 20 minutes to deal with this.

However, I don't think an organizer should sacrifice competitor enjoyment for ease of administration.  Experts don't like passing half a field of novices.  Novices don't like experts on their tail.  And with 1.4 being the winning expert score last year, taking TA's doesn't solve all problems if you have to use 2 to 4 of them in Leg A as new novices get used to the conditions.  I'm guessing on at least 5 teams that haven't run Bancroft overnight before.  And I'm hoping that the winning expert score this year will be under 1.0 with these lower CAS that you speak of.   Cool

CP closing time are based on theoretical time to finish.  What happens to the expert teams when stacked novice slugs arrive ahead of Ints and Experts and add over 10 dead minutes to experienced teams? That and one mistake/double-back and you could be in CP closing territory depending on instructions from the organizer on when to depart.  

I don't think that it's worth it.  

Regret asking, Bruce?   Cheesy

Stephen

IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #7 - 02/05/12 at 10:08:11

No, I don't regret asking; I think it's good discussion for the pros and cons.
After running 2/3 of the route yesterday, I'm leaning towards experts first. I'll post something later that might explain why. Let's just say that road conditions were variable yesterday Shocked and there was a call to CAA.

Bruce

The Car Zero Report
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #8 - 02/05/12 at 16:24:18

Steve, the speeds comment I made was in reference to the old OWR days, trust me, things are at least 10-15% slower now across the board.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #9 - 02/05/12 at 18:38:52

While we were checking this section of the Polar Bear Rally at CAS, I was commenting that we could probably bump the original CAS up a touch. We, of course, then got into a tank-slapper on a bit of a downhill, nosed in, bounced out, did a 360, and carried on. Ok, maybe not. It was maybe a kilometre later that we got loose again. The result wasn't so favourable this time.

the hill we were coming down.

We were going the direction the camera's pointing. Lots of chunks of ice that the car was hung up on. The tow truck was pulled sideways while trying to winch the car out, even with wheel chocks.

To participants of the upcoming rally: drive within your limits.

Please, please let it snow.

(Ok, Ryan, where is this?)

« Last Edit: 02/05/12 at 19:50:07 by Bruce L »  

The Car Zero Report
  IP Logged
SuzukiSwiftGT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 02/05/12 at 19:43:34

Oh thats unfortunate. Hope nothing important was damaged.

IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #11 - 02/05/12 at 20:03:28

no damage at all - except to ego.

The Car Zero Report
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #12 - 02/05/12 at 21:15:54

Hmm, if I had to guess, West Eels Wink

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #13 - 02/05/12 at 21:48:37

Sorry to see it Bruce!  But the glassy ice base is what I'm expecting.  At least if an expert goes off up front on something unexpected, they'll get a triangle out and save the rest of the pack the same mistake.

My rally motto:  If you can't save it, try to put it cheap side in.  Worked for Leo at PN.

Stephen

IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #14 - 02/06/12 at 08:24:58

My guess is West Eels as well... looks very similar to a spot Bryce and I played snow bank pinball last time we ran the event...

Derek

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print