Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MLWR 2012 Worker Thanks (Read 3731 times)
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

MLWR 2012 Worker Thanks
02/19/12 at 17:14:31

Thanks to all 26 volunteers who worked so hard to pull off a flawless event – not one hiccup along the way. Of the ten timing teams, five covered four assignments and the rest all did three for a total of 35 controls. Figure an average of 20 cars per control,  that works out to about 700 passages processed. Even the novice control teams performed just fine. Take a bow all of you.
Meanwhile Jane and Martin kept everything running smoothly at Rally HQ while Bruce and Roger did Course Opening with Doug and Trevor on Sweep duty. Communication over the radio and by texting was excellent. It would be hard to imagine a more smoothly run event.
The competitors had a great time with intensely close competition. In the Expert class Robinson Kelly & Louis Cabardos ran a totally consistent event for a decisive win (and Overall win) with only 1.3 penalty points over the whole night – 0.2 on Leg A, 0.6 in Leg B and 0.5 in Leg C. Robinson said it took him 15 tries at this event to win it. In Intermediate Jakub W and Yevgeniy G. also won decisively with a total of 7.3 penalty points. There were 14 Novice teams who ran with an amazingly tight fight in the top nine places. Adam and Doug H won narrowly with 17.8 penalty points .

Thanks again. See you at another rally soon.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: MLWR 2012 Worker Thanks
Reply #1 - 02/19/12 at 17:42:28

I'd like to echo the sentiment. Having been on the other side of the rally many times, I know what it takes to make it work and appear completely flawless from the competitor point of view, bravo.

The conditions turned out to in the most part be better than I expected (Holeeeeey was Lower Turriff icy though!) and my inability to sufficiently rein in right foot meant a fun night all around!

Thanks!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #2 - 02/19/12 at 20:00:37

Our thanks as well go to all of the workers for this event.  It is the last of it's kind in Ontario, and the WNTR series competitors last year learned how challenging it is compared to US events.  Our hats off to MLRC for putting this on... I don't think that any other club could pull together the nutbars necessary to stay up all night on Family Day long weekend and execute this so well!

Great job Bruce, Jane, Ross... everyone!

P.S.:  We didn't really notice any badly icy conditions anywhere.  There were patches, but the crown of the road was clear on most all but Eels.  I think that's why all the offs were pretty much overplow at CP related, no?  Unless I missed some excitement.  I need a longer HAM radio antenna.   Sad  Leg B I had trouble hearing a lot of the chatter.

Stephen

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/20/12 at 07:14:39

So now that Stephen has posted, on behalf of the workers I thank the Deneka/Gamble team for the delicious cookies and brownies that they traded for a checkpoint sticker.

IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #4 - 02/20/12 at 10:33:10

I'll add that it would not have gone so smoothly without the work that Ross does in putting together the CP crews and coordinating their movements from post to post. Amazing! Thank you from all of us for your efforts and enthusiasm.

Saturday morning in Bobcaygeon saw 5 inches of fresh powder snow fall - yes! but alas, the closer we got to Bancroft that afternoon, the more we realized that none had fallen there. What is it with this strange weather this year!

As for the rally itself - it did, indeed, seem to go off without any major snags. Doug didn't have any customers to pull out of ditches or off snowbanks (see above re: lack of snow). The field didn't get strung out too much. The Novice instructions were a bit tough for the first-timers (straight-line? wot-in-ell is that!). One novice dropped out after the second leg. Martin did his usual superb job with scoring. Final scores were done and posted within 5 minutes of the last car arriving (a couple of data entry errors were quickly resolved - blame it on bad hand-writing). The Fish & Game club put on another great breakfast.

And hopefully everyone  had a good story to tell afterwards. Thanks for joining in.

Scores will be posted soon.

Bruce
MLWR, the Polar Bear Rally - organizer

The Car Zero Report
An irregular newsletter about Rally in Ontario
http://eepurl.com/LK6AD
  IP Logged
Napping

Georgetown
Reply #5 - 02/20/12 at 12:13:14

I'd like to join in thanking organizers and volunteers. Amazinly organized and well run event!

This was my third time ruinning this rally. First time I drove it, and it was my second or third tsd rally ever, and last year I navigated it.

That time last year I narrowly missed first place in novice class with a couple of mistakes I made, so this year I can finally be at peace. ))

I can't even comprehend how did first place experts managed to get only 1.3 points in penalties! But I guess 15 tries can do that. Congrats guys! I have something to strive towards.

I'm also thinking of driving next year. I just need to coach myself a navigator to navigate for me next year.

Napping aka Yevgeniy
Napping yevgeniy.gospodinov   IP Logged
KDeV

Trenton,ON
Reply #6 - 02/20/12 at 13:32:07

I too would like to echo the previous comments. We got to have fun and even then the late hours were a challenge I don't know how the workers did it. Thanks again to every one involved.

KDeV KDeV   IP Logged
SuzukiSwiftGT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 02/21/12 at 19:29:24

I'd also like to check in here and add my many thanks to all the workers. I've volunteered for some rally related events over the years, but not nearly enough.

So I've driven the MLWR twice now, I think next year I'll be volunteering. Both to give my car a rest and to allow past workers to be competitors. Every time I've volunteered I've had alot of fun and learned alot about the events. It opens your eyes as to how the events run and how you can improve, not to mention making you feel good for giving back.

Also, I should mention that at one checkpoint (i think it was one of yours Ross) I may have said "thank me" instead of "thank you" when i was handed my time sticker. I'm not actually that much of a jackass to say/mean that. It was meant as "thanks mate" or something like that...but being exhausted, amped up about the event/roads/my limited slip diff, and overloaded on caffeen and sugar can do strange things to a man. haha.

Thanks again to the workers and organizers

and yeah napping, that 1.3 is mind boggling!!!!

We did pretty good for ourselves this year concidering my terratrip odo wasnt working and my navigator was hit with nausea part way through leg A.

She stuck it out the whole rally but just couldnt look down at the routebook long enough to do any significant calculations to keep us on time. So we were winging it.

Also, a 10 minute misscalculation (carry the 1!!!!) that slipped by us both cost us 1st place (novice) and we ended up 4th (novice). Still better than usual for us, but disppointing when its basic math that does you in. haha.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print