Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LHFR story from car 6 (Read 3273 times)
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
LHFR story from car 6
05/08/12 at 19:57:02

First off, I want to thank all the volunteers and organizers that made this rally possible, great job!

For us, Lanark was the first rally of the season, and what a great road to kick things off! It's such a tight and twisting challenge that really throws you into the deep end!

Getting back in the car having not run since Tall Pines in November is also a challenge. 5 months off meant I was a little worried we'd be slow and rusty! Stage one went relatively well, no major dramas other than John accidentally flipped two pages at once in the notes and we had to do a couple kms before we got back on. Thankfully that road is so tight, like Nick said elsewhere, if you just assume each corner is a 3 or 4 you'll be fine and not lose too much time. We finished the stage in 7:14, already over 15 seconds faster than our best time northbound last year. We were 12 seconds off the blistering pace of Chris Martin and 4s behind Nick and Kelly though. Unfortunately I don't have video of this stage, I had the exposure set wrong on the camera.

Stage 2 runs back southbound. With a rally like this that has lots of turnaround stages, one of the challenges is to turn on and off the aggression and to be able to get back into a quick pace after standing around chatting for a while with your fellow competitors. This second stage was again drama free, building our pace in the car once again. Southbound is always faster than north, and we managed a 7:01, 16 seconds faster than our best southbound time last year! Both Nick and Chris were in the 6:54-56 range and extending out their lead.

For this stage I tried a helmet camera view and honestly, I'd do that angle all the time from now on! I love it, it really gives a great sense of the speed of the stage and the work behind the wheel. I don't have the intercom audio on this video, but I think the engine noise provides a pretty nice soundtrack as it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWz62wvZvKY

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: LHFR story from car 6
Reply #1 - 05/08/12 at 20:11:40

For us, stage 3 once again was without incident. Our stage time improved to 7:11. I'm not going to lie, I like stages that go without drama! Unfortunately the same couldn't be said for Nick and Kelly who had throttle issues and lost significant time, dropping them down to 5th and bumping us up to 2nd.

Here's the same great camera angle, going the other way up the road:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMstBGi9ms

Back up at the north end of the stage, we waited to start the 4th run. As we were all ready to go, the start control waved Nick and Kelly into the stage ahead of Chris and Peter, and we couldn't figure out why. It wasn't until we pulled up next to Chris and heard him trying to start the car did we realize that something was wrong for them. They were unable to get the car fired and DNFed from a 30 second lead, not cool! We didn't know if they'd be able to start still or not when we entered the stage, so our plan stayed the same, fast and steady without excessive risk. We managed second fastest on the stage, 7:07 and headed back to service. It wasn't until we got there and saw scores that was found we were in the lead by 3.3 seconds over the Vincents.

For this stage I turned the camera around and put it in the windshield pointed back at us. Again a nice angle, but not as cool as the helmet cam I realize now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSTEtxRXS9E

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #2 - 05/08/12 at 20:29:59

Oh boy, now we're leaving service in the lead of the rally, a first for us. We wanted to be really careful at this point and not do anything stupid, but at the same time we didn't want to just give up the lead either! Stage 5 saw us run a 7:16, 4 seconds slower than Nick and Kelly who were charging hard now with a healthy car. They moved back up into 3rd, only 12 seconds behind us. Between us was the Vincents, who had lost a couple seconds to us, so we held a 5.5 second gap to second place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrXefqHDH1c

With two stages to go, 12 seconds to the Mathews and them clawing back time fast, we knew this was going to get interesting! As usual at the turnarounds there's lots of talk and bluster about strategy, but we knew for sure they'd be coming hard. It wasn't until we started the stage that I said to myself that it was time to go big or go home. In this first video you can actually see I've got quite the serious look on my face!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHBPHNTSCdM

In addition to the new HD camera, for this stage I'm posting the feed from my old camera which still has the intercom fed into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwbS2eGOFPY

At the finish of the stage we knew we'd set a fast time, and indeed we were just under that 7 minute mark. It wasn't until we'd talked to Nick and Kelly that we knew we'd managed to win the stage and put 2 seconds back on them. They were now only 3 seconds out of second place, and 15 seconds behind us!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #3 - 05/08/12 at 20:40:54

Going into this final stage with 12s to second and 15s to third, we were relatively sure that if we ran our usual pace we could hold onto the lead without undue risk. The last thing we wanted at this point was to do something dumb. Only Chris had managed to run sub-7 minutes northbound earlier in the day, and with the stage being torn up now we didn't think it'd be possible without some crazy risks. Of course, leave it to Nick to try the crazy risk strategy! Wink They may well have caught us if it'd worked out but unfortunately for them they hit a rock and got two right side flats for a portion of the stage. Going into the setting sun for parts of the stage, and the potential for dust had us a little worried as well. We actually had a bit of a moment on the second last corner of the stage, running wide towards a rock outcrop that wouldn't have been fun to hit! I don't think we missed it by much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM6AysFVFms

Finishing the stage and seeing Nick and Kelly stopped with two flats, we had to wait and see what the Vincents managed. They took 2 seconds on us, but we'd held on! What a rally!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 05/08/12 at 21:40:38

The helmet cam has a bit of a "Blair Rally Project" feeling to it, but it actually gives a much better view of the road than the flatter angle of most cameras mounted on the cage.

Now if we can just get you stop shoving your head up behind the cage bars on left handers . . . . Wink

Thanks for posting these so quick Ryan.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
BTDT

Reply #5 - 05/09/12 at 08:43:19

IP Logged
Voro
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 05/11/12 at 10:15:31

thanks for all the info was looking everywhere!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print