Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Black Bear musings (Read 5558 times)
overthehill

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Black Bear musings
07/15/12 at 11:36:28

BLACK BEAR RALLY - this rally is so great that it is beyond belief. Not only it has over 100km of stages on the technical Tall Pines roads, but this year there were only 2 km of transits between the stages! The Egan Creek and Peanut also mix extremely fast sections (full 6th gear) with some very technical (1 car wide twisting road in the woods) and these changes force you to adjust to different style of driving all the time.

Why the hell is the participation so low?

I also think that people who claim that it is a car breaker are making one of the following three errors:

1/ They still think that it is the old Black Bear from 5-6 years ago.

2/ They smoked something strong in the morning, because one cannot say that the same road at the Tall Pines is good but at the Black Bear it is rough. If anything, it might get rougher at the Tall Pines (if there is no freeze).

3/ They are road racers abhorring the gravel. Smiley

Now you can flame me.

And I want to thank everybody who took part in organizing and helping at this rally.

I brake for no apparent reason.
hartlbell   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Re: Black Bear musings
Reply #1 - 07/15/12 at 18:28:09

I just went back through the results from 2004-2012.

The interesting thing is that the entries varried from a high of 23 to a low of 15. The last 2 years have been 17, which seems to be pretty well normal for Bear.

I am not sure why we don't see better numbers than this.

On the roads, I will share a story. On A5 we had a delay on Car 99 as they dealt with a competitor issue. I was speaking with a local camper and he said, "Thank goodness that you guys come out here and rally, you are the only ones that fix the roads!" I said, yea but they are still rough in spots. He replied with, "You guys are on the good roads. You should see the other ones!"

I think many of the folks on Pines and Bear have worked really hard to improve the roads and they are far better than when I got involved 12 years ago. I know I have spent more than a few days working hard on them!

As a worker, I would certainly like to see the car counts higher. I have the same amount of work pretty well if there are 17 or 35.

Paul, I was disappointed for your team and Martin Walter's. To have two cars DNF due to failures on the transit back really sucks, plus the Lada guys made it to within 3 km of the finish of the last stage.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #2 - 07/15/12 at 20:45:58

On the Black Bear musings front, a huge, huge thanks to Eric Vlasic for towing the Swift back in that massive trailer!

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #3 - 07/16/12 at 13:02:41

More musings: Alexei, thanks so much for taking along a last-minute passenger who needed to get to TO!  Smiley He had hoped to get a train from Belleville on Saturday night but that didn't work out.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Chris_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 07/16/12 at 13:32:57

I will add thanks to all my fellow co-drivers who helped me by checking and occasionally correcting my time calculations. I was happy to finish with zero penalties. Thanks everyone.

Chris

IP Logged
martin
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 07/16/12 at 15:34:21

Many thanks to all who worked in the sweltering heat and choking dust, all of the competitors really appreciate your commitment to the sport!

My $0.02 on the musings...

Low car count - in past years BB competed with the F1 race in Montreal, and was 2 weeks before Baie-Des-C. Most Regional entrants would likely pick a rally over an F1 race, but not all... most regional entrants can't afford BDC and BB within 2 weeks, i know I couldn't, so for the last few years we skipped BDC.  Some likely skipped BB.

Now the date is mid-July, school is out, vacation  season is squarly upon us... 2 weeks after BDC, same weekend as NEFR.  We decided not to do BDC again.. others may have done it instead of BB... some likely did NEFR instead,  others were likely at the cottage the same week they've been at the cottage for the last 5 years.  

For us the big decision was NEFR or BB, eventually the lack of MaxAttack!! at NEFR, the extra vacation days and the huge difference in expenses made us choose BB, but it could have gone either way as we love both of these rallies.

Changing the venue from Dorset to Bancroft area was a good thing, changing the dates (while probably unavoidable) is likely what will take more adjustment for the competitors.  But BB is a great rally, I can see nothing but increased car counts in it's future!

Love the 2 minute window! The forethough of the organisers on this one point shows how totally in touch they are, and will squish any concerns future competitors might have regarding dust.

-Martin.

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #6 - 07/18/12 at 10:46:01

I am not sure why we constantly have such a low car count.  Our overall time for the rally was 1:09:09.6, guess what NEFR was? 1:10:11.2!  NEFR only had ~40km more stage and is like 800-1000km from Bear and the entry was double for the national.  I don't think many or any chose Baie over Bear, but perhaps LHFR's earlier date helps gather other competitors from Quebec.  There were also several regular notables missing that were at LHFR, namely Mathew's, Norris, Morton, Webb, Sergei etc.  Had all of them shown up it would have been a regular or high entry.

Regarding the roads, those stages are NOT car breakers.  Sure, there are rough spots but every good rally should have some!  They are not unduly rough, especially with the relatively few cars.  Now, Pines can get rough if like last year with a lot of fast AWD cars, the washboard was insane but that happens with any sand based road when you put 80+ cars on it.  

Bottom line is that these stages need to be driven differently to LHFR or GCFR, they need to be treated carefully and not be maximum attacked all the time or you WILL break things.

It was a very well run event, thank you to all of the volunteers!!

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Donnie

Reply #7 - 07/18/12 at 12:11:47

We would have loved to have been there, i had to have some dental surgery  done and i couldn't see myself bouncing around in a Rally car shortly thereafter. We will be definitely present at GCFR.

1989 Isuzu I-Mark
1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/AWD
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 07/19/12 at 08:03:22

An interesting statistic - this year the attrition rate at the Bear was very high. Some blamed it on the rough roads, however in 2011 the Bear had the lowest attrition rate of all the OPRC events, and the roads were in better shape this year, so the argument doesn't seem to hold up.

BTW I have just found a new local contractor who has already graded all the roads since the rally. He seems to really understand what we are looking for in the grading and his rates are more reasonable than we have paid in the past. I cannot wait to get up and check out his work.

IP Logged
jimmy
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #9 - 07/19/12 at 14:37:04

Um, 4) same time as Maine (well, NEFR).

Really old rule - 2 objects cannot occupy the same space, at the same time.

overthehill wrote on 07/15/12 at 11:36:28:
BLACK BEAR RALLY - this rally is so great that it is beyond belief. Not only it has over 100km of stages on the technical Tall Pines roads, but this year there were only 2 km of transits between the stages! The Egan Creek and Peanut also mix extremely fast sections (full 6th gear) with some very technical (1 car wide twisting road in the woods) and these changes force you to adjust to different style of driving all the time.

Why the hell is the participation so low?

I also think that people who claim that it is a car breaker are making one of the following three errors:

1/ They still think that it is the old Black Bear from 5-6 years ago.

2/ They smoked something strong in the morning, because one cannot say that the same road at the Tall Pines is good but at the Black Bear it is rough. If anything, it might get rougher at the Tall Pines (if there is no freeze).

3/ They are road racers abhorring the gravel. Smiley

Now you can flame me.

And I want to thank everybody who took part in organizing and helping at this rally.

press on,

just a poor, dumb, Michigan navie
KC8YHT
jimmy
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print