Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trimming WRX Calipers to Fit 15" Rims (Read 4296 times)
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Trimming WRX Calipers to Fit 15" Rims
09/15/12 at 11:09:16

I want to be able to put my Rally-X tires on, but they won't fit.

I have heard that the calipers can be ground down to allow using 15's. Anyone know of a template that can be used to trim the calipers. I tried this question on TSC but no responses.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
SuzukiSwiftGT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Trimming WRX Calipers to Fit 15" Rims
Reply #1 - 09/15/12 at 12:58:09

im fairly certain some of the speedline and compmotive 15s clear WRX calipers without any trimming.

I myself have been keeping my eye out for a cheap used set to run winter tires on.

As for "trimming" the caliper, I can't imagine theres a template or anything like that. I've read about people having done this and it seems they just get out their grinder and take little passes off at a time and then try fitting the wheel again.

Honestly, I dont like the idea of it though. Brakes are important....dont mess with them.

Also, with very little clearance between the wheel and the caliper (as Im sure you would want to take off the bare minimum) you risk destryoying your wheels and/or calipers if even a small stone gets forced into the narrow space.

IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #2 - 09/16/12 at 01:25:44

Dave, I'm not sure what year WRX you have, but when I had my 04 WRX I had a set of 15" Compmotives for rally-x and they cleared the stock calipers just fine.

It sucks to look for wheels, but if you can find a used set of Comps that would be a good idea. I bent a stock WRX alloy twice, and I imagine a steelie would be similar.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #3 - 09/16/12 at 19:45:28

Alexei S wrote on 09/16/12 at 01:25:44:
Dave, I'm not sure what year WRX you have, but when I had my 04 WRX I had a set of 15" Compmotives for rally-x and they cleared the stock calipers just fine.

It sucks to look for wheels, but if you can find a used set of Comps that would be a good idea. I bent a stock WRX alloy twice, and I imagine a steelie would be similar.

I have an 02 - stock brakes, no fancy 4-pots or anything like that.

I just assumed that this was fairly common. I have seen WRX's running the rally-X course and assumed they were modified in this way. I guess they were running snows.

I have two sets of 15" Subaru alloys (one with snows and one with rally tires) and neither one will fit.

Just missed out on a complete set of 4 - 205/55R16 Firestone Winterforce tires for $75!  Angry Missed them by 1/2 an hour. That would have been the best solution I guess.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Alexei S

I hate trees

Reply #4 - 09/16/12 at 21:34:13

I used to run snows before the Comps+gravel. High enough PSI and don't do anything silly and they'll be decent.

I however debeaded them twice  Cheesy

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #5 - 09/16/12 at 23:07:47

Dave, I'd just use some magic marker or something on the caliper and put the wheel on and rotate it and see where it scratches the marker off, grind there a little and then repeat until it doesn't grind. It's been done many times.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #6 - 09/16/12 at 23:55:58

Thanks Ryan, I will try that.

I even have a complete set of spare calipers so if it doesn't work out, I can replace them.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Ken Nazeer

Ontario,  Canada
Reply #7 - 11/02/12 at 23:16:28

Dave, did you do it? If not, just do it!

I'm running a set of OEM 15's over my 06 WRX brakes on my 99 wagon. Take the grinder and go slow - a little bit at a time.

Ken
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print