Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Building a new team! (Read 4563 times)
Neo
YaBB Newbies

Building a new team!
10/29/12 at 10:05:53

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum as i am to the rally world!
i have 4 other friends who are interested in building a rally team.
we were thinking of leasing a car for 1-2 years and train on one of the tracks around the GTA.
but i was wondering if anyone has any experience in such topic to give us some advice, like insurance, possible tracks, legal issues.

Our goal is to have fun with lots of ADRENALINE!!!  Cheesy Cheesy

Thanks for your help in advance  Smiley

IP Logged
IrenaCCS
YaBB Newbies

Thornhill
Re: Building a new team!
Reply #1 - 11/01/12 at 15:05:39

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum Smiley & would like to introduce myself:

I participated in amateur rally in Ukraine (Lvov & Kiev) and Poland.
In Canada since 2007 Smiley I've had Peugeot 206RC (unfortunately it is  not allowed to bring to Canada)
I'll be happy to  be involved (having experience in rally, could be a co-driver).
Thank you!

Irena

IP Logged
Neo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 11/01/12 at 16:48:38

Irena,
We are still looking on how to form the team (insurance wise and legal issues).
We would love to have someone with previous experience to guide us  Cool

Do you know good tracks around the GTA?
We are thinking of leasing a Subaru STI 300hp  Cheesy

Btw, I know the 206 as I used to drive one when I was in Dubai 2006. A great car huh !! However the Canadian version of it is Mazda 2 (which I have now).

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #3 - 11/01/12 at 19:15:07

Neo, I think what you are proposing would be very difficult.

You mention leasing a car - do you mean leasing a prepped rally car? or leasing a car and prepping it for rally? You can't do the latter, since you will damage parts of the car in prepping it for rally.

The first one requires lots of insurance and a vendor that will let you rent a car. This is not very common in North America, but if you have enough money I am sure you would find someone that would do it.

The best training for rally is probably a combination of running TSD (or Navigational) rallies and some rally-X. The TSD rallies are road rallies that are done at legal speeds but you learn the basics of all rallies - following route books, navigating and learning to be on time. You can do this with almost any road car.

Rally-X or rallycross gives you the feeling of running on a realistic course as quick as you can while not damaging your vehicle. Personally I did this with a second car (97 Outback) that I purchased cheap. This is one area where you could get together with a couple of friends and buy a car and run it together. You would need to have some sort of agreement on how to fix it. Lots of guys run basic FWD cars in Class 1 and it is amazing how quick and competitive the Class 1 cars are.

Start at the basics and work your way up, there are a number of people here who have done that and can probably give you better advice than me.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #4 - 11/01/12 at 19:43:38

You can get started by buying a relatively cheap car and bringing it to the MLRC RallyX's. There is also an ice racing series in Minden if you're looking for more seat time.

If you want to move up and play with the big boys I think some rally shops will rent a rally car to people for performance rallies but I suspect they will only do that for relatively experienced drivers, not novices. Your best bet is to look for an already prepped rally car and buy it. There are a number of online sites (including the MLRC classifieds) where people list cars for sale.

Most importantly ask lots of questions. Get out to meet people at events by volunteering as a marshal or crew for an established team. Don't start investing your time and money without researching everything first. Rallying can be expensive and frustrating if you don't know what you are doing.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #5 - 11/01/12 at 20:30:04

Neo, if you want we have a decently priced entry rally car for sale... it is a Lada but it has been around for 20 years... good car to learn and start in...

D.

WWW   IP Logged
Neo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 11/01/12 at 20:50:40

Irena, Norman.
Great advice and I appreciate your guide lines.
Yes I think starting with events and asking questions are most important at our level!
We'll keep getting our adrenalin off the street with our regular cars for now Cheesy
Derek,  Thanks for the offer, but as the gang suggested; learn well first then dig in!

Thank you again guys.

Neo

IP Logged
IrenaCCS
YaBB Newbies

Thornhill
Reply #7 - 11/03/12 at 15:29:45

Hi Guys,

I cannot recommend any cars as for now....very new in Toronto (moved from Calgary 10 month ago Smiley) and I think I have to re-fresh my skills first. I didn't take part in rally for...around 6 years....so better to start with something simple and easy. I submitted my application to join the club. And if they accepted, I will be happy to see you at the next meeting.
BTW I'm a Customs Broker and can help with importing cars to Canada (if you decided that it is worth Smiley) sometimes...better to buy it here Smiley

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #8 - 11/04/12 at 14:10:53

New rallyists, there's no better way to join in and get acquainted than to sign up to work the Rally of the Tall Pines. Guaranteed!!  Smiley

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print