Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting a safety and e-test for a rally car (Read 3508 times)
Jeff_Rivera
YaBB Newbies

Getting a safety and e-test for a rally car
01/23/13 at 10:29:27

I'm considering a few built Open 2WD cars for purchase.  How does one go about getting them safetied and e-tested?  Are there shops that are more race/rally friendly?  Located in Ontario.

Thanks,

Jeff

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Getting a safety and e-test for a rally car
Reply #1 - 01/23/13 at 15:25:14

Hey Jeff,

I can't really comment on the safety, likely in the very least you'd have to put stock belts back in. Or maybe someone here will know of something a little more shady...

As for the emissions test, now that Ontario in their infinite wisdom have done away with the dyno tests and are doing OBD2 scan tests, it's likely a lot harder. Hopefully the cars have stock ECUs in them still, or you can find a shop that still does rolling tests for "hotrod" cars.

Have you asked the insurance question yet?

Ryan

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Jeff_Rivera
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 01/23/13 at 20:47:42

One of the cars does have the stock ECU, so the OBDII scan might work.  I'd like to find a race/rally friendly shop that has the proper paperwork.  Not to do anything untoward, but they will be the most helpful and apply the rules practically.

As far as insurance goes, I'd just get liability for the transit stages and on the rare occasion it was driven on the street.  But I have no idea who might be the best provider for that.  I have CAA now for my road car.

I can see why lots of people build now.  Get the car, get all the registration and paperwork done ahead of time, then build the car.  That way you've got a few years to figure out how to pass e-test and don't have to worry about safety.

I may be hiring you yet Ryan Smiley

« Last Edit: 01/24/13 at 09:23:00 by Jeff_Rivera »  
  IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 01/23/13 at 21:06:34

If the car is 97 and earlier then the e-test should just be a tail sniff test. Have not tested this but next week I hope we will test this.

Derek

WWW   IP Logged
RPRacing
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 01/26/13 at 09:06:01

For Insurance you'll have to go under facility since it has a roll cage installed. My advice would be to advise your insurance company it has the cage installed and is used for rallying. That way if you ever did have to make a claim you shouldn't have any issues. I use a company out of Quebec called Nordic Insurance, didn't have any issues with my cage.

For E-Test I use a guy in Kitchener who's son races open wheel cars. My car is NA and uses the stock exhaust/ecu system so it's never been an issue anyways. Not sure in regards to safety. You could purchase the car on the basis that the current owner provides a Safety/E-Test which would make your life easier.

IP Logged
Jeff_Rivera
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 01/29/13 at 16:12:26

Both cars I'm considering are in Quebec, so I don't know if they get safety or not.  

Jeremy (I think that's you below) can you PM me the contact info for the shop in Kitchener?

Thanks,

Jeff

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print