HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ham question (Read 4449 times)
KDeV

Trenton,ON
Ham question
07/18/13 at 20:24:42

Question to the rally hams. If you have your radios mounted in your vehicles, how do you have them installed? I'm debating a dash mount (nice flat tray already there) or some macgyvered set up with the cupholders. Having it on the center console or passenger seat is a pain when bouncing along stage roads, or even when driving around (it came in handy when driving through Toronto during the rain storm a few weeks ago).

Just looking for suggestions before I go out buying parts and pieces

KDeV KDeV   IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Ham question
Reply #1 - 07/18/13 at 21:24:15

You'll find a lot of rally people mount them to boards or something that allows them to move them from vehicle to vehicle. Using the stock mount to the passenger side of the transmission tunnel is fairly common too. Keep in mind that they tend to get quite hot if used a lot, so you don't want to confine the radio in a dash pocket or something like that.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #2 - 07/19/13 at 19:36:15

I mounted mine to the bottom of the Timewise mount, but I think passenger side transmission tunnel would be best if you're not planning for multiple vehicles.

« Last Edit: 07/22/13 at 17:54:08 by Slowpoke »  

Stephen

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #3 - 07/19/13 at 20:29:52

I find its very subjective to the vehicle.  Older cars with the map pocket under the dash, I've mounted radios there on some cars.  One car I had it above the transmission tunnel, in a spot on the dash where I removed some gauges/trim.  (gauges got moved up higher in the console).  

Many of the radios now come with a removable display... mount the radio under the seat or in the trunk, mount the display where you want it... connects with an 8-pin extension cable.  Requires far less footprint, making it far easier to mount.

If you think you might swap between vehicles or want it easily taken out for "portable" service, think about getting a second wiring harness and possibly even a second mounting bracket (if you can't fab something up out of sheet metal, or simple L brackets screwed to a piece of plywood).  Then mount it in the car so you can remove it with a few screws.  If you really want it, only takes a minute or two to remove it.

IP Logged
Bruce VA3BRS
YaBB Moderator

Scarborough
Reply #4 - 07/20/13 at 16:12:48

I made up a bracket that goes on the dash and put some non slip matting under it as well as the tubing on the back which flip down into the front defrost ducts.
I have never had a issue with it moving around either.
Out of all the rallies that I have worked I only really had a problem at the last Black Bear Rally where I checked the radio and it was up to 120 F so I turned on the front defrost to AC to cool it down a little.

IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #5 - 07/21/13 at 18:46:47

In my '00 RS, I mounted it on the bottom of the parcel shelf in the trunk, then ran the cables for the removable front and the remote speaker up to the front. In my '03 TS, I took out the glove box to mount the Timewise, then mounted the radio on the firewall right there, and ran the cable to the front piece. It's high enough that it doesn't get kicked by the passenger, and the front piece is a perfect press-fit into the cubbyhole above the car radio.

The Car Zero Report
An irregular newsletter about Rally in Ontario
http://eepurl.com/LK6AD
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 07/21/13 at 20:23:49

Because my radios are moved frequently from one vehicle to another I have them mounted on boards with communication speakers mounted as well. That way they are installed in just moments in my different vehicles. All of my antennas have magnetic bases for the same reason.  I always have a spare of everything with me that they can be put into action within moments plus they can be lent to other HAMS at rallies and be in operation within a minute or two.

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #7 - 07/24/13 at 15:06:33

Mine is a little unusual, in that it's meant for use on a motorcycle. The wiring is in the glove compartment and when it's time for a rally, I get everything hooked up. Out comes the tiny microphone/unit and away I go!

I'll have it operational at GCFR if you want to take a look.

Jeannie VE3 JNE

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print