Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roundabout vs 4-way stop (Read 3430 times)
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Roundabout vs 4-way stop
10/07/13 at 13:49:28

IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Roundabout vs 4-way stop
Reply #1 - 10/07/13 at 16:28:22

A predictable result. However one MAJOR factor was not included cost!!!

Peterborough is going to install two Roundabouts over next couple of years. One of them a complete waste of $$$ in my opinion as traffic from two directions is neligible. However I am just a citizan whose money will be spent. Cost of these roundabouts about a million dollers each and months of contstruction. On the other hand fourway stops could be installed in probably one day maybe a couple more if a flashing Red is installed over road. Cost I would estimate as around fifty grand each. Oh well the Traffic Engineers must be right

Pete G
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #2 - 10/07/13 at 17:54:11

Traffic engineers rate intersections on the ability for an approaching car to pass through without stopping - Efficiency Rate 0-1.0

Roundabouts ER - 0.67
Signalized Intersection ER - 0.32
All-way Stop ER - 0.0

I was a huge doubter until the City put one in less than a mile from the College I work at. Sure some idiots turn into them the wrong way, but collisions are avoided because you have to slow down (although it is fun to throw the WRX in and see how little you have to slow  Grin). You will get a few older drivers that get in them and just stop - they get confused and lock-up!

The other reality is that a T-bone or head-on collision is almost impossible in a roundabout.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
KDeV

Trenton,ON
Reply #3 - 10/08/13 at 15:37:36

After using them in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, then Kingston and in Trenton I'm a fan (most times). If placed in the right location they can and do improve traffic flow substantially.

Pete, I've thought hiway 28 and Douro road would be a good place since every weekend in the summer that place is backed up halfway to Lakefield

KDeV KDeV   IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #4 - 10/09/13 at 21:23:39

gully wrote on 10/07/13 at 16:28:22:
A predictable result. However one MAJOR factor was not included cost!!!

Peterborough is going to install two Roundabouts over next couple of years. One of them a complete waste of $$$ in my opinion as traffic from two directions is neligible. However I am just a citizan whose money will be spent. Cost of these roundabouts about a million dollers each and months of contstruction. On the other hand fourway stops could be installed in probably one day maybe a couple more if a flashing Red is installed over road. Cost I would estimate as around fifty grand each. Oh well the Traffic Engineers must be right

I hear ya, but you should really also take into account the cost of the wasted time on the part of countless thousands of drivers for years to come that is going to be saved. It may be that city planners have in mind changes that will increase traffic flow there, you never know. Also, they're fun. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print