Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thinking of a Swap - 02 WRX into Forester (Read 3007 times)
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Thinking of a Swap - 02 WRX into Forester
10/09/13 at 19:39:08

Here is the scenario:

I have a good running 2002 WRX that only has 125k kms on it. It was the PO's winter car (he had a STi for summer). As a result the body has more rust than you would normally associate with that many kms.

We just bought my wife a 2012 Explorer, so I am looking to get at least 5 more years out of the Subie, but I don't know if the shell has 5 years in it!

I am seriously contemplating a swap of my drivetrain into one of the following options:

1) Forester
2) Impreza Outback Sport
3) Impreza

Many of you know that I volunteer at rallies and I would like the extra ground clearance that either the Forester or OBS provides.

I have posted this on another forum (GRM) and most of the opinions, were just go buy a Forester XT. Well that is not an option (unless I hit the lottery tonight!). I have 2 kids, a dog, a wife and a big ass mortgage, so disposable income isn't just flying around.

What do I have - a good WRX drivetrain, a good sized garage, my wife has a summer vehicle (I would take this on in the summer when she could drive her Cabriolet and I could use the Exploder) and a decent amount of mechanical aptitude (I swapped a 400 SB Chevy into a friends car during the summer of 1st year University).

What do I need - well a clean shell (starting to look for one - if you know of one, let me know), but most importantly any ideas on how to make this easy. I think grapping an 03-08 Forester or 02-07 OBS or Impreza is obviously my best bet - same chassis as my 02 WRX. Can I just move the 02 WRX ECU over? I live in area that does NOT have Drive Clean.

I am searching this topic over on NASIOC, but that could take weeks, so I thought I would ask here.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Thinking of a Swap - 02 WRX into Forester
Reply #1 - 10/09/13 at 20:11:48

Dave, mechanically the swap into those chassis ranges is no problem. I'm not sure how different the wiring is, and if the ECU will just plug in and away you go. If you wanted to swap the loom over for sure that'd work, but that's a lot of work. Anyway, for sure your drivetrain will swap right in zero issue (other than if the WRX is that rusty, you'll likely have issues with fasteners underneath).

I don't know if the final drive ratios will be the same from the WRX to the donor shell, you might need to swap the rear diff to match.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #2 - 10/09/13 at 21:47:36

Ryan, I was anticipating having to do the rear diff. I don't think any of the potential swap candidates have the same gearing as the WRX. WRX is 3.54:1 (if I recall correctly) and most others of that era are 4.11:1 or 3.90:1. Plus I get to keep the LSD that way.

Thanks for the feedback.

DC

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
RPRacing
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 10/17/13 at 17:42:00

Dave sell me the wrx so I can swap the drivetrain into my rally car  Grin

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 10/17/13 at 18:35:35

RPRacing wrote on 10/17/13 at 17:42:00:
Dave sell me the wrx so I can swap the drivetrain into my rally car  Grin

Well we can talk - there is a Forester XT for sale just outside Montreal!!!

DC

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print