Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for Some Swap Advice (Read 2651 times)
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Looking for Some Swap Advice
01/14/14 at 23:40:29

I would be doing all this work myself, this summer if I decide to do this. I have looked at two options for my WRX:

Option 1 - Local Dealer has an 05 WRX Wagon with a blown motor sitting on its lot.
- I know that my 02 WRX drivetrain will bolt into this car no problem and there would be no issues with wiring - straight swap.
- Car appears to have little rust.
- Story is that the owner brought it there to be checked and can't afford a motor. The owner of the car has not been back to the dealer in months and the dealer claims they have lost the owner's contact info.
- Problem - Quebec plates and therefore I don't know of anyway to find out the name of the owner. I also don't know for sure that it is for sale.
- I know at least one other person is also trying to buy this car.
- More potential for parting out what is left over from this swap.

Option 2 - I have located a super clean 02 Subaru Outback Sport with what the owner claims is a bad front diff for a good price.
- I have a business trip that will require me to head to Philadelphia in March, so travel costs would be minimized.
- Owner has said that he would drive the car up to Philly and sell it to me there.
- There would be some additional costs for this - Import Fees, Duty, Inspection Fees.
- 13-14 hour drive including gas!
- Much more involved swap - OBS is an auto, so swap would include Motor, Transmission, rear diff, ENTIRE wiring harness, etc.
- Plus - its a Silver Bugeye  Wink so my hood with the scoop will bolt right on.

If you were me what path would you follow?

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Re: Looking for Some Swap Advice
Reply #1 - 01/15/14 at 08:01:01

To be honest Dave I wouldn't follow either at the moment, sit and wait on the 05, dont bother with importing and changing from Auto, too much of a PITA for what it's worth.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #2 - 01/15/14 at 08:28:46

Thanks John, I appreciate your comments. I was starting toi think that way too.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #3 - 01/16/14 at 19:03:47

You may as well just drop the car off at my house Dave  Wink
I'll lend you my Scirocco if you'd like.  

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print