Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting started in rally (Read 2151 times)
DKFraser92
YaBB Newbies

Barrie/Burlington Ont
Getting started in rally
02/12/14 at 19:46:31

Hey Everyone!
My name is Dillian, I am new to rallying in real life. Video games are only good for so long :p. My friend Graham and I will be looking to compete in 2015, and more than likely do the odd road rally this summer for fun and to get a taste for whats to come.

I am mainly here to get someones opinion on what drive train would be ideal to start with. I know AWD would be an obvious choice for Rallying and build from there but i have been watching some videos on youtube giving tips to newcomers. Mostly from the Channel Drive and Broken Motorsports. The guy in the video said for newcomers FWD would be recommended so you could get a feel for what its like. And in Rally America they wouldn't accept a 1st time rally-er in a AWD vehicle for stage rallying

I am buying my car this summer, it wont be anything special. I have mainly been looking at Subaru's and Toyota's. I am not concerned about mechanically maintaining the car as i am aware of what it takes, just more concerned about making the proper 1st choice for my car so that when i get to performance/stage rallies i wont get the door shut in my face or making a regret for sinking money into a FWD when i could be in AWD

Sorry for the word attack. look forward to meeting people this summer whether i be volunteering, or competing for my enjoyment.

Dillian K.Fraser
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Getting started in rally
Reply #1 - 02/12/14 at 20:19:02

Hi Dillian, first off, welcome!

There's all kinds of discussion all over everywhere about 2wd vs 4wd for novices and common consensus is 2wd to start as it's usually cheaper and easier to maintain, not as hard on tires, etc. For sure a great way to get started, and lots of fun. It all depends on your goals too. If you're looking to get out there and win rallies, well unless you're incredibly good you're going to need AWD (and be good too!)

All that said, have a good look at what other people are rallying. It's always nice to have lots of people running the same or similar cars to yours for the simple fact that maybe they have some knowledge or spare parts or whatnot you might need at an event and don't have yourself. Can't say anything bad about Subarus from that respect.

BTW there's no restrictions in Canada about 2wd vs 4wd for novice drivers, just that you have to have done something rally related before you can get your performance rally license.

Oh, and I know I said 2wd is a great way to start, but I'm one of those who started in a turbo Subaru, so...  Wink

Oh, and there's a whole other debate that happens a lot about whether to build or buy your first rally car, but that's another long post or three!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
DKFraser92
YaBB Newbies

Barrie/Burlington Ont
Re: Getting started in rally
Reply #2 - 02/12/14 at 20:44:07

thanks for the input! really appreciate it.
it helps making the decision a bit easier now.
My original plan was to start with a 99-03 impreza 2.5na, and then work to a turbo build after a year or 2 Tongue

Dillian K.Fraser
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print