Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Polar Bear Rally - Great Winter Driving (Read 4705 times)
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Polar Bear Rally - Great Winter Driving
02/13/14 at 07:46:52

The 2014 edition of the Maple Leaf Rally Club Polar Bear Rally is coming! More challenges, less navigating, and more real driving!
This great winter driving event runs this Saturday night on the great roads in the Bancroft area – some of them are stages in the Tall Pines Rally. No special preparations required – any vehicle can enter, as long as you have winter tires and a safety triangle.
DEAD SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS

Perfect winter driving conditions and huge, safe snowbanks. See a video taken last weekend –
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhOIT--AsTI

For those who don't think they can handle eight and a half hours of overnight rally, Polar Bear Rally is offering the Bear Cub Rally. For a reduced price, $50, you get the first leg of the full rally with strictly distance-to-turn instructions. Four hours, 200 km, and some of the best roads in the area. The first car is out at 10 pm and returns about 2 am. You're on the road home by 3 instead of 7 or 8 am. We'll have small awards for the Bear Cub Rally leg.

Should you be amped up on coffee or energy drinks and think you're ready to tackle the second and third legs, then top up the registration fee and you're in, breakfast included. You'll qualify for ORRC points as well.

Snow tires and safety triangle are still mandatory for Bear Cub Rally. Pre-register online, but pay by cash at the door, or e-transfer (preferred) to treasurer@mlrc.ca

Please read the Supplemental Regulations, then register for this must-do rally.  

http://www.mlrc.ca/MLWR/index.html

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Re: Polar Bear Rally - Great Winter Driving
Reply #1 - 02/16/14 at 18:10:28

Bummed that I wasn`t able to go. I would love to hear some stories from participants and workers.

Once you wake up!!!

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 02/16/14 at 20:02:54

The Polar Bear Rally was a big success - 27 entries with 4 Expert teams, 2 Intermediate and 21 Novice. Several of the Novice teams had not entered a rally before. Three teams opted for the shortened version of the rally that ended around 2 AM.

Conditions were ideal - clear, full moon and down to about -21 degrees C early in the AM. Roads were great, ranging from pure snow on the West Eels forest road to well sanded municipal roads. Bruce Leonard planned an excellent route that provided a good mix of the above.

The 8 checkpoint teams and one Quiet Zone observation team and the Registration & Scoring teams did a great job all night. Everything ran like clockwork, with all teams and HQ having full contact over the HAM radio net.

When all was said and done, the team of Narini & Cartier were clear winners in the Bear Cub (shorter) event with only 6.6 penalty points in a VW Golf. In the full event the Expert team of Deneka & Gamble ran a super clean event with only 0.6 penalty points in the Subaru, followed closely by Burden & Killam who came all the way from Massachusetts in a Subaru Forester. They had 3.5 total penalty. In Intermediate Harvey & Harvey came first with 7.4 points. The Novice class had really tight competition. In the end Johnson & Auchterloni emerged victorious with 3.8, followed by Armstrong & Deathe with 4.2 and Mayes & Puscasu with 4.9.

Thanks to Bruce Leonard for all his hard work in putting together an excellent rally and to all the other volunteers for their good work.

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #3 - 02/16/14 at 23:56:35

Dave Cotie wrote on 02/16/14 at 18:10:28:
Bummed that I wasn`t able to go. I would love to hear some stories from participants and workers.

Once you wake up!!!

Haven't really slept yet, other than a few brief nod-offs in the car on the way home.  Not that hard to stay up 36 hours and fix your sleep pattern if you have already stayed up 24.  Smiley  Gave me time to give the car a quick wash and switch back to the Toyos.  Too tired to intelligently edit videos.  Go Pros really suck at night.

Unusual for me, but my head was just not in it for the first couple of sections in Leg A last night... usually I'm thinking ahead, but not Saturday night.  I had enough focus to drive, but usually I am wary of tricks and I'm able to process what's going on.  There's kind of a trend of things going wrong for us fast in the first 10km at MLWR and I usually need my wits about me.  (Think about the route check in the first 5km a few years back where the OPP was blocking my way into Henshall's CP1, where we were given Time Outs on a standard sticker but apparently that was a Route Check and I was supposed to just pause a minute and not have a time out.  How was I supposed to realize it was a route check if I have a Time Out?)

Sure enough, things didn't make sense right off the bat with the first ET.  0.75km we start a quiet zone on Quarry road and it's signed for 40km/h, so we make sure our speed isn't more than 40km/h.  ET ends at 1.92km but we're still in a quiet zone, CAS was 60 in the notes from that point, but the Event Supp regs that Bruce highlighted in the driver's meeting said we can't do more than 50km/h in a Quiet Zone unless another sign is posted.  Furthermore, he made a point of introducing us to the radar operator who was going to enforce that rule.  He also pointedly warned us that he doesn't have to wait 10km to place a CP because we did the ODO check in advance.  But... organizers assume 80 on Provincial roads if the sign isn't repeated in... what... 800 metres?  Is Quarry road in city limits though and that rule doesn't apply?  Anyway, supp regs say it must be POSTED to be higher than 50km/h, so there's no way I should be doing over 50.  Maybe I should still be doing 40??

Great... he can place a CP in the Quiet Zone like in previous years.  We're pretty sure we'll be taking points at CP A1 now.

Okay, order of precedence of rules, GCR's, NRR, Bulletins, ORRC Rules, then Series Supp Regs, then Event Supp Regs, then Section notes.  Biggest risk was a 5 minute penalty for speeding, and he's a judge of fact and speeding can't be protested, so I'll do 42-44km/h (within the 5km grace boundary of the speeding penalty) and I planned to make up the lost time once the Quiet Zone ended.  If the CP is placed before I can make up the time, I'll just file an inquiry.    

Great... less than 2km and 3:00 minutes into the rally on the third instruction and I've already got my first inquiry planned, and we're going to be taking points because we set our Timewise CAS at 60km/h, contrary to what the supp regs allow.  It's the third note in the book... there's no way this slipped by everyone.  This has got to be some type of trick that I'm just too out of it to fathom.

This is already not going well...

We saw the radar, but no CP by EQZ at 3.88.  I up the speed and find that the handling is WAY biased to oversteer.  We dropped our tire pressures to competition level before doing the ODO check 2.5 hours before the rally.  Now the tires were 27 to 28psi and there's no rear grip while I have to make up just under a minute lost in the Quiet Zone.  I'm hoping the handling will come back once we put some heat in the tires.

Fortunately there's time to make up the deficit before the first CP at 6.11 on Landon.  The sticker would tell me if the AgainstTheRules 60 in a QZ was a trick and I was supposed to know that Supp Regs supercede section notes if I arrived at the CP early.  Or if I zero it, the organizer is expecting me to average 60km/h while threatening me with radar if I go over 40km/h... or maybe it's 50km/h depending on how I interpret the supp reg...

I cross the CP 2 seconds into the 60km/h tenth and the sticker says I zeroed CPA1.  I've never been less happy to zero in my life.  That verified that yes, we were being asked to average 60km/h in quiet zones and we'll get 5 minute penalties if we're over 40km/h.  We have to find a way to go 50% faster than QZ speeds without getting into trouble.  Fantastic.  Let's hope he keeps placing those CP's with some reasonable distance after the QZ.  That's all within the first four turns of the rally.  What's coming next!?!?

The first constabulary of the night after turning left onto Detlor, cruising with my high beams on.

It was lucky for us that there weren't many rally computers out there in use last night.  Our "normal" competitors were all volunteering in the rally, or we'd probably not have won expert.  My only solace was that we offered Louis a set of snow tires so that he could run the rally but he declined.  And we found Trevor an experienced navigator that he declined.  The experts didn't want to compete for personal reasons... okay... we still appreciate that they were running checkpoints for us.

Opal was solid the whole night, which NEITHER of us expected... she's usually asleep by 8pm these days and she woke up early Saturday morning with no nap.  Fortunately my head started to come together somewhere around Section A5.  It was a loooooooonnnnnng Leg A.

Nothing exciting here.... I just forgot to shut off the GoPro when we went inside after Leg C.  Just 7.5 minutes of people running around at 10x speed at sunrise.  http://youtu.be/4sAT7RU0whg

« Last Edit: 02/17/14 at 13:16:57 by Slowpoke »  

Stephen

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #4 - 02/17/14 at 00:11:13

rosswood wrote on 02/16/14 at 20:02:54:
When all was said and done, the team of Narini & Cartier were clear winners in the Bear Cub (shorter) event with only 6.6 penalty points in a VW Golf. In the full event the Expert team of Deneka & Gamble ran a super clean event with only 0.6 penalty points in the Subaru, followed closely by Burden & Killam who came all the way from Massachusetts in a Subaru Forester. They had 3.5 total penalty. In Intermediate Harvey & Harvey came first with 7.4 points. The Novice class had really tight competition. In the end Johnson & Auchterloni emerged victorious with 3.8, followed by Armstrong & Deathe with 4.2 and Mayes & Puscasu with 4.9.

Thanks to Bruce Leonard for all his hard work in putting together an excellent rally and to all the other volunteers for their good work.

Ross, those were the Leg A scores.  Opal and I scored 1.2 minutes by end of Leg C, and Armstrong/Deathe won novice with 6.8.  Harvey's finished with 9.3.

Opal and I used 1.5 minutes of TA in Leg B.  It wouldn't have affected the finishing order because the boys from Boston had 8.7.  If they get a Computer and/or a GPS, they'll be challenging for a win next year.   Shocked  

Stephen

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 02/17/14 at 07:22:07

Thanks, Stephen re the scores. Guess I was also still sleep-deprived when I posted that. I will re-post that section below -

When all was said and done, the team of Narini & Cartier were clear winners in the Bear Cub (shorter) event with only 6.6 penalty points in a VW Golf. In the full event the Expert team of Deneka & Gamble ran a super clean event with only 1.2 penalty points in their Subaru, followed by Burden & Killam who came all the way from Massachusetts in a Subaru Forester. They had 8.7 total penalty. In Intermediate Harvey & Harvey came first with 9.3 points. The Novice class had really tight competition. In the end Armstrong & Deathe emerged victorious with 6.8, followed by Mayes & Puscasu with 9.5.

I would also like to commend the competitors for being such a pleasure to deal with. They were totally pleasant at all four checkpoints that Mat J and I covered and many voiced their appreciation of our being there as volunteers.

IP Logged
Bruce L

Reply #6 - 02/17/14 at 17:50:11

Re: quiet zones - I've really got to read my own supps when I'm doing the instructions, as I noted over the radio. In the first section, where the ET ends is where the 40 km/h zone starts going the other way. I should have ended the QZ there (it was there in the Novice at least).
I don't think Greg made it to that QZ as radar patrol so I'm not sure who you saw; Greg was on Upper Hastings in the 30 km/h area.

Anyway, it was a good night. Doug didn't have too many customers to pull off the snowbanks; it seems that the competitors worked together to help each other (I think they were just trying to build up some rally karma for when they went off).

We had a good crew of people helping with checkpoints, as Ross mentioned, and everyone found and made it to the assignments in time. But there were three key people who helped out with the rally:
Martin Loveridge did the scoring and had the final results up by about 15 minutes after the last team checked in;
Ross Wood corralled and marshalled all the checkpoint teams; and,
Jane Leonard, who helped me lay out the route, worked registration, but mainly put up with me working on the thing.

Thanks to all the teams that made it out; I hope you enjoyed it and made it home safely.

Bruce

The Car Zero Report
An irregular newsletter about Rally in Ontario
http://eepurl.com/LK6AD
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print