Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
That dreaded word... "Insurance"... for rally cars (Read 9785 times)
MatthewB
YaBB Newbies

That dreaded word... "Insurance"... for rally cars
01/31/15 at 12:58:03

If you have proper rally car insurance coverage (likely Facility), can you please PM me with the contact of your broker who UNDERSTANDS how to insure these cars.

Ideally an Ontario broker, who is within the GTA, but as long as they can provide proper coverage anywhere in Canada, I don't really care where they are.

I need to get sorted out with proper insurance and every broker I talk to gets confused when I say "I need the liability insurance coverage on regular roads, not a race track... and yes my car is a race car"

Hoping you guys can help me out so I can put this issue to bed.

Thanks,
Matt

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Re: That dreaded word... "Insurance"... for rally cars
Reply #1 - 01/31/15 at 20:29:48

Get a hold of Martin Walter over on the MCO website.

There is a thread over there about caged cars and he mentioned he is on Facility.

Or try Bryce Baker or Derek Vincent here - Derek mentioned at Tall Pines that the Talon is covered under Facility.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #2 - 02/01/15 at 17:21:04

This is it: "Street legal caged car?" posted on the MCO Rally forum: http://www.mco.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16917

Good luck!

Jeannie

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/02/15 at 19:26:02

There is a glimmer of hope recently about this. Contact me ross at tallpinesrally dot com for more info.

IP Logged
MatthewB
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 02/03/15 at 21:27:29

Thanks for the PM's and the info everyone.

Hoping you have some good news Ross!

IP Logged
mirwin
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 02/05/15 at 10:40:24

Hello, I have been intending to join the forum for a while and this topic has pushed me to finally get it done. First of all I'm curious as to what glimmer of hope Ross has, anything to help ease the pain of insurance should be a big help to get more people and cars out on the stages. I run an insurance brokerage in Peterborough and am aware of the challenges everyone has to go through to get proper coverage.

I had the dream a few years ago of buying a rally car, did a Facility quote and couldn't believe the price. Over $2,000 a year for a car that would be driven maybe 6 days max. In Toronto it must be $3,000-4,000 for the year, how do you guys do it?

Facility really is the only option, and any broker HAS to provide you with insurance. The best thing to do is contact the same broker you have your street car and home with, at least they have more incentive to help you out. Faciltiy does not pay comission like a regular insurance company, so we really don't make any money on a policy with them. As Martin pointed out on the other forum an appraisal/inspection of the car is required, which is pointless because you are only buying liability coverage, no physical damage coverage for the car. But insurance companies love rules that make no sense and make our lives more difficult!

The best way to save money is to insure the car for the least amount of time possible. Ex: Start the policy May 1st for Lanark and cancel Nov. 29th the day after Tall Pines. Then you are only paying for 7 months coverage plus a small penalty for cancelling early. Doing this over and over will annoy most bokers, but make it as easy on us as possible by giving plenty of notice and having your paperwork organized and ready.

Hope that my rambling helps out, and would be happy to answer any questions. I'm not looking to get into the business of insuring rally cars, but can try to help anyone that's in a jam...perahps in exchange for letting a rookie co-driver ride along some day  Wink

IP Logged
MatthewB
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 02/05/15 at 13:26:44

I've found that many insurance agents (I've got a couple I use) just say "we don't do insurance for rally cars - try calling so and so", to which you waste countless hours on the phone jumping from broker to broker who has no idea.  It's like no one wants to do the legwork, but I can understand why if your comments are correct that there are little to no commissions associated with the policies.  I've had a tough time getting anyone to even acknowledge that they even know how it would be done.

I've managed to get a quote though, and I will be trying to do the coverage period based on the race season to help reduce costs, but it looks like I'm stuck paying high prices until someone comes up with a better solution.

Frustrating to say the least, and makes this sport really only available for the previously rich (as in your might have thought you were rich right up until you started racing...).

Thanks for the insight.

IP Logged
mirwin
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 02/05/15 at 16:26:29

One thing that works really well is to show up at their office with all your paperwork (license, ownership, etc.), along with copies of your current policies with them. Print the info Martin provided as well to show that it can be done. That way you avoid the phone run-around.

You should be able to fill out an application form, the broker sends it to Facility. Then the underwriter from Facilty calls the broker and either says it can't be done, or asks for more info such as the appraisal/inspection.

IP Logged
donalcrookerallying

facebook.com/donalcr
ookerallying

Cambridge, ON
Reply #8 - 02/11/15 at 14:09:00

This is my pet peeve, paying a fortune for a car that will be on the road maybe 6 days a year.

CARS needs to sort this out!!!!
Its a critical issue for the sport in Canada IMO, that is keeping competitors away from the sport.  I keep hearing of updates to come, but in the 6 years I have been here we are still no further along Sad

As I have said before, at Home, Rally Cars are covered to be on the road the day of the event by the event insurance.... surely CARS can get this sorted.

Its a ridiculous expense that put me off buying getting involved here for a few years and continues to put folks off getting involved in the sport, as its just flushing $1000's down the toilet.

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 02/12/15 at 07:26:25

Donal, you are absolutely right that this is a huge problem and it's holding competitors back from joining the sport.

CARS has tried very hard for many years to sort this out from many different angles, including approaching the insurance company that provides our rally insurance. They would like to help, but are a motorsport insurance company and are not licensed to provide general road coverage. Several brokers have expressed an interest, but they have never been able to convince any of their companies to take it on. The reason is always the same - rally cars represent far too small a group to be worth their while setting up a special category for and there are no actuarial statistics to base the risk assessment on. However the perceived risk is very high.

Insurance is a provincial issue in Canada , so the solution has to be reached with a company that serves Ontario. There is a broker currently insuring rally cars in Quebec, but the coverage applies only in Quebec. Some Quebec rallyists are working very hard on another company and it sounds promising, but no firm solution has been reached so far. That company thinks it might be able to convince a sister company to do the same in Ontario, but that is only talk at this point.

In the meantime there are three options:

(1) Facility insurance - there is an insurance company in Ontario that is very supportive of insuring rally cars and already cover a number of Ontario competitors. They are willing to be pretty flexible re taking coverage off during the off-season, which will save you some money. Contact me directly for further info - ross at tallpinesrally dot com

(2) RallySprint - we very deliberately created the new RallySprint rules to allow unlicensed, uninsured cars to participate, as long as all of the route runs on closed roads. Several clubs are working on offering events this year that meet those requirements.

(3) Do not report to your insurance company that your car is a competitive rally car. That is fine until you need coverage. IMO the risk is not worth it.

I wish there was a simple solution to the rally car insurance problem, but so far there is not. It is not through lack of effort on the part of RallySport Ontario officials.

IP Logged
madspeed er
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 02/16/15 at 20:36:35

Insurance in general is a massive gong show in Ontario. This is an Ontario only issue as other provinces have sorted out multiple options for race cars, second cars, weekend cars etc.

for example in SK, you can get a day insurance for 20 bucks or an 8 day insurance for 48 bucks. Needless to say, I had an evo 2, an evo 9, an xr4ti, a Euro M3, a 323 gtx, a yam R1 and an RD350 all at the same time ( not insured at the same time though, just need to insure them as needed). Those were the days.

Now that I moved back to Ontario, I have a single car and can barely afford to keep it as my daily driver. Ontario needs new insurance regulations.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print